EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 02-29-2016, 04:57 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Shrinking Default UI

Hi,

I play on a 14" laptop with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768, which means EQ2 gets a bit of a cluttered feel. I tried using ProfitUI Maintained and the game refused to load. Kept crashing instead. I'm not too keen on trying the other UI sets because almost all of them are bloated with functions I don't need, which is the reason why the game kept crashing, I believe.

I've tried browsing through all the standalone mods as well, none fit my needs. I'm quite happy with the current default UI and would like to keep using it. However, I've been trying to create my own mods and I'm getting nowhere because the images don't scale, so instead of shrinking, they're getting cut off.

If someone could help create a set where I can shrink everything even more than currently possible by default, or even better, show me how to do it, I would appreciate it.

I've been using UIBuilder and Notepad++ on Windows 7.

Thanks,
Fea

Edit; So I continued trying to mess around and tried with the Threat window first, since it was the only thing that actually scales... seems like I can't modify it AT ALL, sizing cannot be changed whatsoever. I can't change max size or min size. The file shows that numbers have been changed but UIBuilder shows no changes. Same goes with font size in the Active Quest Helper. I am so lost, frustrated and confused right now.

Edit2; Turns out, the above edits don't work in UIBuilder, but works fine in the game. Go figure. Of course, I'm still having trouble with the nav bar (first thing I was working on)...

Last edited by Featherlight : 02-29-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Unread 02-29-2016, 11:47 AM
A Forest Scavenger
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

It depends on which items you are talking about. For example there are backgrounds for buttons, and no they don't scale, so there are for example BigButton and SmallButton styles which include big and small pictures respectively. For background items like this you would need to create your own backgrounds. On the other hand pictures, etc. will scale to some extend. Its the background items that tend not to scale.

This brings up another point, you can't just scale for example a window and expect the items underneath to scale. You would have to go into all the styles and either replace them or scale those as well....

The EQ2UI system is pretty advanced, but its nowhere near the level of html rendering engines...

If someone who knows more than me would I appreciate it because I am curious too.
Unread 02-29-2016, 11:50 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Default Ps

You are likely better off creating a whole new UI directory and populating with smaller replacement UI parts, like Sigrdrifa's compact mercenary window. Shrinking the whole UI would be a lot of work.... fonts, styles, windows.. all this would have to be done.
Unread 02-29-2016, 12:11 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Yes, I realised that everything else has to scale along with the background images/items too. But from what I've been experimenting on (the nav bar), shrinking the ITEMS themselves was easy. The background is giving me a headache. I have no idea how to create/edit/whatever dds files, so I'm stuck there. I tried getting a plugin for my photoshop but that didn't work -_-

That is what I'm doing right now, working on the bits I want to change. Threat window and quest helper is good atm. The nav bar is making me wanna strangle someone lol.

Reason why I ask for a set, is because perhaps someone would like to take the challenge of creating a set specifically made for small laptop screens. And I'm sure there are a lot of people who DO play on small laptops because desktops are not easy to get
Unread 02-29-2016, 12:55 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Yes its the backgrounds from the DDS files that do not shrink...

Maybe this thread will help, it seems to be about using photoshop and the DDS files: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17856

And sorry I mis-interpreted the question in your original post. I do not have the skills to create a set for you...

Ereon

Last edited by aseop : 02-29-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Unread 02-29-2016, 09:19 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseop View Post
Maybe this thread will help, it seems to be about using photoshop and the DDS files: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17856
No, that wasn't useful as it was a successful usage of Paint Shop Pro (which isn't photoshop). The plugin I downloaded is from NVIDIA too. I think perhaps it's because I've no idea how to actually ADD the plugin to my photoshop (and it's erm... *cough* I didn't buy it *cough*)

Would this actually help and is it trustworthy, anyone know?
http://www.easy2convert.com/jpg2dds/
Unread 03-01-2016, 11:06 AM
A Griffon

Up until a few months ago, I was running EQ2 on an old Gateway laptop with a 1280x800 screen. I used ProfitUI, selecting the smallest variant offered for elements like the persona window. It worked, and took up less screen space than the default UI, but it was still crowded to be sure.

I use IrfanView to do basic image editing. It handles DDS (Direct Draw Surface) files just fine as long as you add the plugins package.

As others have pointed out, re-scaling UI elements can be a real pain in the butt. DDS files are designed with the assumption that applications will use whatever pieces they need, but not that the image would ever be scaled. I haven't tried using IrfanView to re-scale a DDS file, so I'm not sure what would happen.

I don't use UI Builder. It's so old and so unsupported that for me at least, it's way more trouble than it's worth.

I admire your dedication to getting the UI into the form you prefer. The EQ2 UI is a pretty complicated piece of software and modifying it is no trivial task.

-= Therendil =-
Retired test guy and current Profit user...
Unread 03-01-2016, 12:53 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

ProfitUI completely crashed my game Wouldn't even load. It was sad because it would've been SO much easier to just use a current set >.<

How can I acquire IrfanView? I've heard of it, but have never seen it before. I also just found out that I can view DDS files in Visual Studio (gaspthesurprise!), but I've not tried doing any edits yet... Perhaps when the weekend comes around!

Honestly, the most annoying graphics on the default UI is the nav bar. That curve after the very round gems make the exp bar part such a waste of space. Worst thing is, it's so pretty... grrrrr! Sometimes, it's not so much dedication, more like "I can't rest easy until this is done and complete". I've managed to modify my own bags (the standalone I tried broke the bags rofl) this afternoon and plan to tackle the target windows next.

Now to figure out how to "hide" certain windows with toggable buttons/panels that slides the window out into or out of view... Anyone know? XD I have no clue
Unread 03-01-2016, 10:34 PM
A Griffon

You can find IrfanView at www.irfanview.com . I've used it for years. There are now 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Sometimes 'dedication' is just a polite way to say 'stubborn.' I understand it either way.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 03-02-2016, 12:05 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlight View Post
Hi,

I tried using ProfitUI Maintained and the game refused to load. Kept crashing instead.

If you downloaded the ProfitUI Maintained package from the complete sets area, there's no telling how many of the windows from 4+ years ago are out of date and responsible for your crashes, the examine window being one of the more recent. You can get a newer non-crashing version of ProfitUI using the Java-based updater. If you are looking for a very small form factor out of the box, ProfitUI is definitely the way to go.

And PS: you can shrink or stretch pretty much any texture, but you have to create a style for your element that specifies how the textures are applied to it. It can get kind of involved -- a simple window background is made up of 9 different parts for example. NW corner, NE corner, east side, etc.

Unread 03-02-2016, 01:14 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I wasn't sure which ProfitUI I should download, just went with the most recently updated, or at least, at the top of the list, which was indeed ProfitUI Maintained. Did you mean this?

Taking the nav/exp bar as the example, from what I can tell, there is the left page and right page, each having west, center and east. Can you give an example based on that? I've studied basic XML, but this is a little bit new to me as it has a whole lot of different attributes and terms I've never heard of before.
Unread 03-02-2016, 09:40 AM
A Griffon

That is the correct link to get ProfitUI. There is an issue right now of getting recent fixes uploaded to the host. I am working on a solution to that, but can't say anything more right now.

I'm going to let other people answer your request for an example. I also know XML at a basic level, but not enough to help you directly. The EQ2 UI is a good example of the power of XML, but also a good example of how complex the software can get.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
I wasn't sure which ProfitUI I should download, just went with the most recently updated, or at least, at the top of the list, which was indeed ProfitUI Maintained. Did you mean this?

Taking the nav/exp bar as the example, from what I can tell, there is the left page and right page, each having west, center and east. Can you give an example based on that? I've studied basic XML, but this is a little bit new to me as it has a whole lot of different attributes and terms I've never heard of before.

eq2ui_ButtonStyles.xml has a wealth of examples. The first few styles are simple buttons with a single image for normal, pressed, disabled, etc. Farther down you will see full-blown styles made up of RectangleStyles of varying complexities. The single-image styles use only the center element while a three-part button can have east, center and west parts. If you search for Name="DefaultButton" you'll see a nine-part style example, NW, NE, SW, etc. like a tic-tac-toe board. You can specify stretch and shrink for each rectangle in the style -- look for attributes like EastStretch, EastShrink, CenterStretchH, CenterShrinkV... etc. These values will decide whether the textures you choose from the DDS files need to stretch or shrink to fit exactly within their rectangles.

And yes I believe that's the correct updater for the most recent iteration of ProfitUI. I don't do Java so not 100% sure. You may need to swap out or delete some files, see Therendil's ongoing updates thread. I believe he is working on some things that will improve life for ProfitUI users soon, but in the meantime this is your best way to get the UI. ProfitUI pieces in general are designed to be very compact on the screen.

Ha, Therendil you beat me to it

Last edited by Darqwood : 03-02-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Unread 03-02-2016, 04:33 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I'll check out those threads tomorrow, thanks!

Ooooooooh! Now I understand what CenterStretchH means! Days of head scratching has led to pimples ROFL! Thank you Darq, I will be able to experiment further now.

What about toggable buttons to slide a window in or out? Is that possible?
Unread 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
I'll check out those threads tomorrow, thanks!

Ooooooooh! Now I understand what CenterStretchH means! Days of head scratching has led to pimples ROFL! Thank you Darq, I will be able to experiment further now.

What about toggable buttons to slide a window in or out? Is that possible?

Yes, if you want to animate a window or other element, look at LocationEffector.
Unread 03-15-2016, 07:30 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Featherlight,

How did the effectors work out, I am curious?

Aseop