Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Wish List: Healing addon.

Hi
A brief presentation :P

I have been playing EQ2 since the release, and over the years iv been playing as dps,healer,tank.

When Warhammer Online came out, i rolled a healer class due to the fact that it was the only classtype that really wasnt just plain easy. I soon began to use a UI mod called "squared" here is a screenshot of squared:

After playing Warhammer for about 9 months i decided to come back to EQ2, and after getting my old toon up-to-date, i decided i wanted to go back to healing.

Iv been playing around alot with my UI now, trying all sorts of UI's in order to get it the way i want it. But i just can't get it right - and one thing i really miss in EQ2 is squared.. I must say, even with ProfitUI or any other UI the raid window/group window in EQ2 is nowhere close to "Squared" i can't really put my finger on it, but i feel crippled trying to do what i need to do. In warhammer healing almost became a perfection, and if the target died - it was simply due to the fact that dps scaled way higher at rank40 (max lvl) then the heals - atleast back then.

As it is now, im some times not even sure i got the target i want, selected, by just looking at the raid window - i need to select my target then check my selected target window - since looking at your targets health thrue the raidwindow is just a pain. With squared you had one UI element that u needed to keep your eyes on, thats it. And there was also a good indication on what person you had targeted as that persons "square" with get a border around it - or lighten up.

To sum things up: eq2 is just a pain compared to warhammer for keeping track of things :P - not saying its impossible, its just not as good.

Is it possible to make something even close to "squared" for eq2, to replace the raid window/group window we got today.

If not, does anyone have any recomendations?

Thanks.

Last edited by Darke : 04-27-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Unread 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Kithicor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darke View Post
The raid window in FetishNightfall includes 3 buttons next to each raid member that can be configured to do whatever you want them to do, including heal. If you right click the raid window and choose the option for Advanced settings it will also show you the detrimental effects on each member of the raid and will let you click on them to cure them (as long as you drag the edge of the raid window far enough to the right to see them).

As of v10.8, if you go to the Plugins folder under your FetishNightfall folder you will see an executable program that will allow you to configure the raid abilities. Configure the Default set to whatever you want the three buttons to do and it will load those settings each time you run the game. You can configure 6 more sets of buttons and swap between them in game without having to edit the file again. Read the text file in the Plugins folder for more details.

Not what you're looking for but might be an alternative option.
Author -Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator
Lead Programmer for EQ2U
Unread 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
A Brown Bear

Well it really isnt what im looking for, the main problem is that the raid window objects are so small and give close to no indications of what person is selected.

The raid window frames are so tiny that its really annoying trying to react quickly - and it has to be tiny due to the fact that there is so much else that you need to have on the screen atm, otherwise the screen would be full.

Iv been starting to look into this myself, and even tho iv never actually made a UI element for eq2, it doesnt seem like a big deal - servers are down atm so cant really test it out..

But if someone a bit more exprienced would like to make something like this for EQ2 - that would be great.
Unread 04-27-2009, 03:26 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

It would be very easy to do something like this, even adding the border effect when targeted.
Unread 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

So, the "Unit nn" are players?

If so, it should be doable to make something like that.
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:32 PM
A Griffon

Server: Kithicor

So, from what I can tell, Squared gives you a visual representation of the character's health and targets them when you click their square, right?

Should definitely be possible. There are many play styles and this may fit you better than the styles that the existing raid / group windows are designed around.

I personally use FetishNightfall so that's the one I'm familiar with. I believe Profit has similar features as well. With Fetish, you can configure the three buttons to do your single target heals. You can then target the primary person you're going to be healing (main tank) and keep them targeted at all times. When you need to heal anyone else, you just click the 1, 2 or 3 button next to their name. This will cast the heal on that player without ever changing your target. You continue to target the main tank but you're able to spot heal anyone in the raid you choose. Same thing with cures. You click the detrimental effect icon (Trauma, Arcane, Noxious, Elemental, or Curse) next to their name and it casts the cure on them without changing your target.

It sounds like the problem you have with this method is the size of the raid window making things hard to see. If that's the case, I'm curious about something. All the interfaces are designed to look a certain way at certain resolutions. I recently got a new machine and tried out the game at 1920x1200. Everything was too small for me to see. I started adjusting the fonts on the things that allowed it but you can't change the font on everything without re-writing the UI. The reason everything was too small for me was that my new machine is a laptop with a 17 inch display. 1920x1200 on a 17 inch monitor makes everything really small. I'm sure it would look great on my 24 inch at work but not the 17 inch. I changed the resolution to 1440x900 and now everything is big enough to read and easy enough to tell what's going on (granted, with less screen space since everything is bigger). What resolution are you running and on what size monitor? It could be that simply lowering the resolution a bit might make the existing windows big enough for you to easily tell which one you are clicking on. Just a thought.

It may sound like I'm just trying to convince you to use the existing raid windows. That's not the case. I just want to make sure you know the full capabilities that exist so you can make the best decision for how you choose to play. It's a game we all pay to play, play it the way that makes you happy.
Author -Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator
Lead Programmer for EQ2U
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
A Griffon

Grid is insanely popular with wow users. There is one flaw with EQ2 though, you can not set up things like CTRL+Click or Shift+Click to do different commands. This would be done fairly easy though and you could even make the sizes adjustable(including the fonts).
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

It sounds like a "old habits die hard" thing to me. A lot of the time your target window, and who you have targeted doesn't really matter for casting through the raid window if you have buttons setup.

On the other hand, it can also be hard to learn new habits. Not trying to sway you away from that.
I agree that the above would be possible, at least most of it easily enough. But, it's definitely a different request compared to to the "norm".

The overlying text on that "squared" modification seems really big an un-necessary though, especially re-using the word "Unit" in every box.
It gives me a few ideas that could be kind of cool for a raid window mod though...

Last edited by Drumstix42 : 04-27-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Unread 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samejima View Post
Grid is insanely popular with wow users. There is one flaw with EQ2 though, you can not set up things like CTRL+Click or Shift+Click to do different commands. This would be done fairly easy though and you could even make the sizes adjustable(including the fonts).
I never used this in WAR, it was called Iishealbot, or something like that.

-------
About breaking old habits, im an oldschool eq2 player so WAR isnt really an old habbit, its just that after healing in WAR and then comming back to eq2, i really felt crippled.

And yes, in a way the problem is the size of the player frames in the raid window. But the main thing is that in WAR, all you needed was that very window for group or raid - problem with eq2 tho is that you need to be in a raid in order to get the raid window. Way squared worked in WAR was that if you were in a group, you would still use the same UIelement, as soon as you joined a raid/warband the amount of players would just increase within the same UIelement. And since the squares were so big and clear you didnt need to have a target window frame etc - the way things are atm in eq2 i really cant watch thoes tiny bars in the raid window, after i pick a target i need to keep alive i usually just watch the target window - but i would love to keep my eyes on one window mainly.

I know alot of people click the macro's on Profit/Fetish raid window, the way i play is that i like to watch players health and select them with my mouse from 1 window and then just use my left hand for healing (i bind almost everything)

Sure you could increase everything in size with either a lower resolution or other ways, problem is that the raid window its has got alot of deadspace and things not really needed with this style of healing, that it will just take up alot of your screen.

I will give you a good example, this is a rather old WAR video of a shaman healing in pvp - you will see squared in action: http://www.warhammermovies.com/movieview.php?id=821
(Use: WHO HQ Stream)

Now compare that to clicking the tiny little player frames in the eq2-style raidwindow.

I would really LOVE to see something like this for EQ2, hell i will try make it myself - but i will need help lol.

Thanks!

EDIT: I think that UI mod in the video might not actually be the original squared, rather an alternative to it - either way, the function is the same.

Last edited by Darke : 04-27-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spell check
Unread 04-27-2009, 07:54 PM
A Griffon

I would be inclined to make something like this, though detrimentals would not work well. Which is why most raid windows are made the way they are. Unless you can suggest a good solution to that.........

EDIT: Power would matter as well, level is also mildly important from a healing standpoint.

Last edited by samejima : 04-27-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Unread 04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

I figured either swap the health from vertical to horizontal and put a 2 pixel or so power bar at the bottom/side of the boxes. Levels.. dunno.

I figured you could show player names on mouseover, or click a toggle, use small font. As for detrimental, you'd probably have to go from squares to rectangles. /shrug
Unread 04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
A Griffon

Other versions of this(aka grid), put smaller boxes up top to show detrimental. Also not showing names full time would be a mistake.
Unread 04-28-2009, 03:38 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samejima View Post
Other versions of this(aka grid), put smaller boxes up top to show detrimental. Also not showing names full time would be a mistake.
As samejima, smaller boxes within the box to show detrimental. It also always show the name, like on the picture, "Unit nn" being the name of a player - or as you can see in the video.

Level is really not very important, i dont know about other - but i always know what lvl the people i raid/group with is :P 99% of the time lvl 80.

Atleast level and such wasnt shown in squared/grid (i think it was called healgrid for WAR no?)

And the power could be shown as just a smaller bar in the square of each player. horizontally or vertically.

Lets say you have the health going down from top to bottom (vertically) like on the picture or in the video, and then have a smaller bar to the left edge of the square for power (vertically) and put detrimentals certically on the right side - but most important in that square otherwise it will just start to look more and more like the raidwindow we see today, and will just take up alot of space not needed - as little deadspace as possible.

Thanks all for your replies and interest in this.

Edit: here is a screenshot of healgrid: http://media.curse.com/Curse.Project...4/grid-all.png You can see the indication of detrimentals in one of thoes squares.

Last edited by Darke : 04-28-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
A Griffon

A way around delevels is you could code it to have the name turn red when their level changes. It is a fair amount of work though to hardly change the dead space.

Last edited by samejima : 04-28-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Unread 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
A Griffon

There is your base code sir! Played with the idea but just not happy enough with it to make it stronger.

Targeted player has a red border
Implied target has a grey border
All others have a black border

On delevel(or less than max) players name turns red
Detrimentals are along the bottom and are coded for click to cure

Make sure to change all the detrimental codes though at the moment they are only member 1. Same goes for voice. Opacity should be played with as well.

PS: make sure to fix my error in the detrimentals
Quote:
<Button AbsorbsInput="True" Location="00,0" Size="40,10" Opacity="0" Name="BEffect0" Onpress="Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Custom.R_settin gs.Cure.Arcane.Visible=true" Tooltip="Cure"/>
Just take that line and mimic it for all four cure types. also adjust the size and location :P
Attached Files
File Type: zip razc.zip (3.5 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by samejima : 04-28-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Unread 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
A Brown Bear

Ty sir! So i take it you are the author of razc UI? - if so i think we got similar taste, because im using your UI atm - its by far the best i have been able to find - and i find it way easier to use compared to Profit etc (wich is a really really good UI by all means, not just what i want.)

I havnt made any UImods for Eq2 before, but i will learn how for this - atleast im a systemtechie, so im not all confused here :P
Unread 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM
A Griffon

Ya that is my UI, I am minimalist in most cases. I am getting ready to patch it too :/
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darke View Post
Hi
A brief presentation :P

I have been playing EQ2 since the release, and over the years iv been playing as dps,healer,tank.

When Warhammer Online came out, i rolled a healer class due to the fact that it was the only classtype that really wasnt just plain easy. I soon began to use a UI mod called "squared" here is a screenshot of squared:

After playing Warhammer for about 9 months i decided to come back to EQ2, and after getting my old toon up-to-date, i decided i wanted to go back to healing.

Iv been playing around alot with my UI now, trying all sorts of UI's in order to get it the way i want it. But i just can't get it right - and one thing i really miss in EQ2 is squared.. I must say, even with ProfitUI or any other UI the raid window/group window in EQ2 is nowhere close to "Squared" i can't really put my finger on it, but i feel crippled trying to do what i need to do. In warhammer healing almost became a perfection, and if the target died - it was simply due to the fact that dps scaled way higher at rank40 (max lvl) then the heals - atleast back then.

As it is now, im some times not even sure i got the target i want, selected, by just looking at the raid window - i need to select my target then check my selected target window - since looking at your targets health thrue the raidwindow is just a pain. With squared you had one UI element that u needed to keep your eyes on, thats it. And there was also a good indication on what person you had targeted as that persons "square" with get a border around it - or lighten up.

To sum things up: eq2 is just a pain compared to warhammer for keeping track of things :P - not saying its impossible, its just not as good.

Is it possible to make something even close to "squared" for eq2, to replace the raid window/group window we got today.

Thanks.
Count me in this category too, I used squared on warhammer, which as I understand it has a counterpart in WoW too, but I would love to adopt it here, the interface is absolutely perfect for healing.

I don't mind and actually prefer to cure manually but this type of display is excellent for getting an overview of your companions without having to reach for keys or very far with the mouse for targeting.
Unread 09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
A Griffon

Server: Splitpaw

Would be really nice to have this for a healer I am sure..

But aint we just making ourselves lazy ??
Would I use it, hell ya, only I would not have a slightest idea on how to set it up
Unread 10-03-2010, 02:11 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Unkown

Grid and Click was the wow version, I would give my left arm to have this. These itsy teeny weeny buttons that cover the health bars when you mouse over them suck, they require pinpoint mouse clicking and are a pain, I can't assign (as far as i can tell in profitUI) what I want each button to cast without editing files.

EQ2 UI needs some serious improvements when it comes to healing.
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

If I were to do something like this, I'd probably
1) split the square 2 part HP: 1 part Power vertical progress bars
2) overlay 4 ClickAbility buttons in each corner
3) Put ClickCures along the bottom
4) Player name always visible in the middle (left aligned, set to truncate)
5) Targeting bar vertical left for when you need to actually target that person.
Code:
------------
||      |  |
PlayerName..
||      |  |
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
------------
Oh and BTW, the Fetish Raid window does highlight the targeted player.

Last edited by Zonx : 10-04-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:33 AM
A Griffon

Server: Permafrost

I was thinking about this a bit before...

The main problem is that you want to do several things to a player, but you don't want to click these tiny buttons in order to accomplish it. We don't have the ability to see different types of clicks or modifier keys when something is clicked, so all we have is a left-click. But as I said, we want to do several things to a player. So the idea popped into my head of a system of pseudo modifier keys that take direct action upon the UI mod.

For simplicity's sake, let's say we wanted to heal and cure a player. (we don't care what heal or cure atm) If the entire player area is one button, it would seem we're already out of luck as we cannot listen for a different click or modifier. But we can directly change the behavior of a UI script through the keyboard. Just create a page within the UI mod that has a script attached to OnShow. A hotbar macro assigned to an arbitrary keyboard key that executes the command, /show_window MainHUD.Raid.SwitchToCure. Normally clicking the player would heal them, but if you were to press this macro, the normal click would become a cure. This spell swap would then be undone after the click or OnHoverOut, etc.

This would more or less give the appearance of a modifier key changing what a left-click does to a player. You could set up hotbar macros and switching script pages for as many things as you want using any keyboard key you can assign to a hotbar(no ctrl/alt/shift unfortunately). You only need to press(or hold) the correct modifier key before clicking the player. No need to find a small button on the player area any longer.

Alternately, you could have the mouse be a hover pointer and the hotbar macros direct the script to cast the different spells on what ever player the mouse was last hovered over. No need for mouse clicking at all.

Last edited by EQAditu : 10-05-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:33 AM
A Grassland Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx View Post
If I were to do something like this, I'd probably
1) split the square 2 part HP: 1 part Power vertical progress bars
2) overlay 4 ClickAbility buttons in each corner
3) Put ClickCures along the bottom
4) Player name always visible in the middle (left aligned, set to truncate)
5) Targeting bar vertical left for when you need to actually target that person.
Code:
------------
||      |  |
PlayerName..
||      |  |
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
------------
Oh and BTW, the Fetish Raid window does highlight the targeted player.
What about something similar to the image below? Utilize the consolidated cure button functionality that appears in Aditu's raid from and have only two cure buttons that appear in the left and right corner (left = normal cures, right = curse cure, or vice versa).

Included some images (not to scale, obviously). But creating a raid frame with square-ish player hp/power bars and the cures placed inside allows for placing raid frames in places they normally wouldn't be able to fit - or a better alternative whats currently available if one was looking for a compact frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eq2raidtest1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	7504  Click image for larger version

Name:	eq2raidtest.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	7505  
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:14 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown

Oh my gosh! That ones perfect! Just needs different colors to represent HP level.