EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 03-13-2005, 03:36 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default still can't get custom UI to work

I am sorry but i have read and re-read the stickied post on how to get a custom UI to work but after several weeks i still cannot get ANY to work.

I really do not know what can be wrong.

I am 29 years old and i am quite computer literate, i hate posting this as i know i am going to get slated as something i am doing must be wrong, the problem is i have followed everything perfectly (there is not any part i do not understand) and yet i still can not get a custum UI to work.

I make a new folder in "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI" and i name it without any spaces, i then go into "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II" and have created "eq2.ini" (and yes the ini is the extension so it aint a txt file) i then have inputed the two lines of code (and tried them vice versa as mentioned) and yet still no luck.

I have tried a few schemes incase i just had a dodgey one, still no luck!

I have made sure the folder in the UI folder has not got the mistake of everything being in a folder one level below (basically so its set-up is same as default folder).

I really do not know what is wrong after a few weeks scratching my head!

I know /loadui command will not make them work correctly but however when i do do that, the new UI is not listed there anyway!

SO that maybe some clue as what is wrong?

Please someone give me a nice reply and please i know you must get these kinda posts alot but dont directme to the stickied post are slag me off as a hopeless newbie and put me off this site, i have honestly tried my hardest before answering this question which i know you all are probabally sick of answering.

Thanks in advance for any help what so ever.

Keep up the good work peeps!
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:45 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

for example:

1 UI i tried was like this:

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\aalwein_tyejaev2

(thats where i put the unzipped aalwein_tyejaev2 scheme contents, i then cross referenced the places ofthings to default scheme to make sure everything looked as if its in right place as it was)

then created in

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II

the notepad doc and inputed the lines

cl_ui_skinname aalwein_tyejaev2
cl_ui_subdir UI/

then saved as eq2.ini (with ini being the extension to replace .txt, its defo not eq2.ini.txt)

Anyway, it didnt work so i changed around the two lines for method 2 and that didnt work.

SO what have i missed?

Thanks again for any response.

P.S. I have even played about with having the scheme named 'default' also taking out all INI files put there auto by program temporarily to re-download stuff and hopeing it would work, but with no joy, tbh i tried many things with no luck.
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:45 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

What is the exact name of the UI folder in C:/Program Files/Sony/Everquest2/UI that you want to use?

TyeJae
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:46 PM
A Griffon

NM you posted it already...
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:50 PM
A Griffon

If the file your trying to run is: C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\aalwein_tyejaev2

then unzip this file to C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\

Try this

Hope that helps...

TyeJae
Unread 03-13-2005, 04:04 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere
Default Hi!

So, it's important to note that the name of the file of the mod is not important. It's the name of the folder!
Here are the instructions that I wrote for one of my mods, trying to make things as clear as possible.

If the reference in the eq2.ini needs to be to a directory. NOT a file.

Maybe this example will help.
I have all my mods in one folder called 'Custom'
and the eq2.ini is pointed to the Custom Directory.
Not to any specific mod.
it will just look in that folder for alternative versions of the files.

Quote:
How to Install a Custom User Interface Piece. (General)

Step 1. Download the *.zip file that contains the interface you wish to use.

Step 2. In your EverQuest II UI folder, create a new folder with any name BUT with no spaces or special charaters.
(Example: C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom)

Step 3. Unzip the user interface pacakge into your newly created folder.
Please make sure you dont have a folder inside of a folder when you do this.
Example: C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest II\UI\Custom\*.xml (correct)
Example: C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest II\UI\Custom\Mods\*.xml (incorrect)

Step 4. Open Windows NotePad.
From your windows desktop click the windows [StartButton],
Select [Programs], [Accessories], [NotePad]
In the new window that is now open -
Type:
cl_ui_subdir UI/
cl_ui_skinname Custom

Choose [File], [Save As], Navigate to your main EverQuest II directory
Example; C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest II\
In [File Name] Type: “eq2.ini” (WITH QUATATION MARKS,
Click [SAVE].

Step 6. Load up Everquest II and your new interface should be working.
Also, some mods do not automatically show up.
Unread 03-13-2005, 04:18 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeJae
If the file your trying to run is: C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\aalwein_tyejaev2

then unzip this file to C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\

Try this

Hope that helps...

TyeJae

Would this work>??? It's inside a folder called EQ2
so that would put it like this
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\EQ2\eq2.ini

For the /loadUI to show up anything.
You need to not have the eq2.ini file at all, and have a folders that contain skininfo files in your /UI folder.
But personally I wouldnt' even bother with that until the fix it.
Unread 03-13-2005, 04:25 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thankyou so much for your quick and detailed responses and without slagging me off.

I had my eq2.ini in "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II" instead of "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI" (i thought the eq2.ini was meant to be in the main folder beside the other .ini files).

However still with this change it is neither working or showing up in /loadui command.

Only thing i can now think to do is to uninstall the game and clean install and re-download the patches and try again.

I will let you know on my progress and if it works and whatever i can nail the problem down to on my side for future reference by anyone else who maybe having a similiar problem somehow in the future.
Unread 03-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

The eq2.ini is ment to be in the main EQ2 folder not the UI folder.

Is there a eq2ui_skininfo.xml file in your custom UI folder? If not then it may not work and it will certainly not show up on the /loadui list. Most authors include a eq2ui_skininfo.xml but a few dont which may be the cause of your problem.

The eq2ui_skininfo.xml tells EQ2 that this is a custom interface and various other details like the name and author. You can copy this file from the default folder open it up in a text editor and edit Data Author=, Name=, and Text= to something you want. Then see if it loads and if it doesnt see if it /loadui lists. If it doesnt list then you either have a different language of EQ2 installed or more then one EQ2 folder and your finding the inactive one.
Unread 03-13-2005, 04:41 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe-cute
Thankyou so much for your quick and detailed responses and without slagging me off.

I had my eq2.ini in "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II" instead of "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI" (i thought the eq2.ini was meant to be in the main folder beside the other .ini files).

However still with this change it is neither working or showing up in /loadui command.

Only thing i can now think to do is to uninstall the game and clean install and re-download the patches and try again.

I will let you know on my progress and if it works and whatever i can nail the problem down to on my side for future reference by anyone else who maybe having a similiar problem somehow in the future.
NO you dont need to uninstall the game.
eq2.ini does need to be in
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\eq2.ini just like that.
Try this.
it's also Case sensative.
the UI will load when you start the game, there is no need to use the /loadui command, and it will not show anything at all unless there is a skininfo file.

try the instructions that I posted.
Go ahead and name the directory 'Custom'
So you will have this.

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\eq2.ini

Inside the eq2.ini it will have
cl_ui_subdir UI/
cl_ui_skinname Custom

The .XML files will be in the folder like this.
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom\*.xml

If there are images with the Mod than you will need a directory like this
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\Custom\images\*.dds

the *.xml and *.dds will be the file names.

This is of course assuming that your EverQuest Game is installed on the C: drive.
if you hae it on another drive it needs to be on the drive the game is installed on. Not C:

the eq2.ini file points to a directory, not a specific mod.
Unread 03-13-2005, 04:45 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Ok i figured it out. I think because I live in europe and choose the US setup Everquest made a new dir in my EQ2 dir called LP_REGION_EN_US. This is the dir that the game runs from. its basically a copy a copy of everything in the root dir and then all the patches.

After moving my insom folder and ini file to the right place in this dir everything worked as it should.

Hope maybe this wll help anyone else who was confused as I was

This is a post from another person that had problems. As Dolby said if you have a game that is running from a different directory like this. that might be the issue.
Unread 03-13-2005, 05:18 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos
NO you dont need to uninstall the game.
eq2.ini does need to be in
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\eq2.ini just like that.
Try this.
it's also Case sensative.
the UI will load when you start the game, there is no need to use the /loadui command, and it will not show anything at all unless there is a skininfo file.

try the instructions that I posted.
Go ahead and name the directory 'Custom'
So you will have this.

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\eq2.ini

Inside the eq2.ini it will have
cl_ui_subdir UI/
cl_ui_skinname Custom

The .XML files will be in the folder like this.
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom\*.xml

If there are images with the Mod than you will need a directory like this
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\Custom\images\*.dds

the *.xml and *.dds will be the file names.

This is of course assuming that your EverQuest Game is installed on the C: drive.
if you hae it on another drive it needs to be on the drive the game is installed on. Not C:

the eq2.ini file points to a directory, not a specific mod.

My set-up is exactly like that, i have checked and rechecked with no joy.

Everything you have posted i have done, although everything was already done, i have redone.

The missplacement of the EQ2.ini was by following TyeJae instructions, but even then i did a duplicate where i thought the .ini would be in the main folder anyway which is where you said.

Also there is a skin xml thing so that it should auto show up.

All i can think of is my seperate customisations (purely layouts) of my 4 alts are affecting this somehow, should i delete the files such as "neriak_darkened_eq2_uisettings.ini" and my other characters profiles for UI?

TBH i have already renamed 1 "neriak_darkened_eq2_uisettings.ini(old)" to disable it, but still no joy.

I have truely on and off tried to get custom UI things working for weeks.

I know that if it works for others it is obviously something at my end, however at the same token i'm sure it is nothing i am doing wrong and that it must be some un-accounted thing i have changed in the past previously such as customising layout positions on seperate characters or something.

Anyway since all this when i use the loadui command just to see if it is recognaising the config as listed (as the xml file is there), i now have 2 default configs, when i use the loadui thing (whatever that means).

Anyway all i can think is re-install and try again as honestly everything is right, but something 3rd party (not my fault or yours) from the past must be screwing with it somehow.

I thankyou for your help and appreciatte it and i know it is annoying when peeps come back and sti lsay it dont work as it must be something they have done wrong but for the life of me i truely cannot see anything wrong.

I will let you know my progress after a fresh install, it must fix it somehow.
Unread 03-13-2005, 06:23 PM
aka Mook

Server: Nektulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
Is there a eq2ui_skininfo.xml file in your custom UI folder? If not then it may not work and it will certainly not show up on the /loadui list. Most authors include a eq2ui_skininfo.xml but a few dont which may be the cause of your problem.
FYI: eq2ui_skininfo.xml is not needed to load an interface via eq2.ini, and is only apparent with the /loadui pop-up window. For that reason I advise authors to NOT include the file, as it only encourages the incorrect use of the /loadui command.
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:34 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
FYI: eq2ui_skininfo.xml is not needed to load an interface via eq2.ini, and is only apparent with the /loadui pop-up window. For that reason I advise authors to NOT include the file, as it only encourages the incorrect use of the /loadui command.

I totally agree, it's something we need not use untill later when /loadUI is fixed because the two toys don't work together well at all.
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
As an admin I do encourage the use of it if you are trying to diagnose a problem which is what we are doing here from what I understand. I have no problems and also encourage authors to include this file in there interface. Most people will read the directions on how to install it and the few that dont I can deal with.

If the eq2ui_skininfo.xml is in the custom folder and when they do a /loadui list and its on or not on the list that tells us some important info.

Last edited by Dolby : 03-13-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:11 PM
aka Mook

Server: Nektulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
If the eq2ui_skininfo.xml is in the custom folder and when they do a /loadui list and its on or not on the list that tells us some important info.
Good point.
Unread 03-14-2005, 04:42 AM
A Coastal Crab

Question just a quick check

alright so iam new to this site to, so i apolgize if this is a stupid comment. But...

I was having the same problem as you tonite for like 3 hours. Then i figured out what was wrong. MY problem was the fact that i negelected the fact that the extensions were hidden. I know u said u renamed it .ini so it wasnt a .txt file. just in case u did notice theyre hidden, might wanna check it. I unchecked the option in foler options, and low and behold what i thought was name eq2.ini suddenly was name eq2.ini.txt. Just a thought is all....if thats not the case then iam sorry for not helping and wasting ur time =(
Unread 03-14-2005, 08:51 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Everfrost
Default how do you type

trying something here
cant find my own post

alrighty, who keeps taking my posts off, this is not helping

one question with the FAQ unde taejsteel (sp) it says something about if power gauge does not show to type show_window MainHUD.Memorized.

What exactly is this and where do i "type" this?

and i cant seem to be able to use the "Aalwein Tuning" mentioned, copied to my desktop and then put it in my custom UI folder but it shows up as an attachement php. file and not a xml file, how do i resolve this?

THANKS!!

Last edited by sario : 03-14-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
A Brown Bear

A helpful hint that I have found has saved me many hours of the same sort of agony........
Open your Everquest II folder with your browser, look at the top bar...
click "View", on the drop down menu select "Tiles"....
in this mode all the files are identified, such as text, configuration (ini), XML, etc

hope this helps
Kilidan
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:59 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Mine wouldn't work either until I did one thing.

When I made the eq2.ini file, it showed up as eq2.ini but was a text file. I had to go into the folder options and change setting to show all file extensions and the I found that the file was acutally called " eq2.ini.txt ".

I renamed it to " eq2.ini " and the file changed from a text page visual look to an ini type file look with the orange coloring to it. I also had it in the UI directory instead of the EQ2 main directory but that was easy find.

Maybe you are having same issue. You can always delete all the new folders you created, bobsui, custom, eq2.ini, whatever you created....then recreate the bobsui folder and unzip the files back to it so you have a fresh start, just to make sure there hasn't been any corruption of the files while you have been messing around in there. Then make sure your folder options are set to show all hidden files and extensions, then make your eq2.ini file and add it into your EQ2 main directory folder.

Maybe this will help.
Unread 03-14-2005, 01:20 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Nope it was defo not because it was a text file.

for 1 i do not have my extensions hidden.
for 2 i had the cogwork symbol not notepad symbol.

Anyway just to let you all know in the end i uninstalled the full game and started from scratch without any character.ini files etc, and the default layout.

Worked a treat first time, also to make sure it was not somehting wrong i was doing, i just drag and dropped the eq2.ini file i was using when i was saying it did not work and also i drag and dropped the custom ui folder back to where it was.

SO it was neither being in wrong place or wrong extension, it was something unexplainable probabally from something i have chanegd in the past somehow.

I thankyou all for your help, i just wish i knew what was wrong the first time so i could report it for future people having problems.

But i suggest anyone in future tries a re-install if the forementioned stuff does not fix it.

Right time to have some fun with some custum UI's