EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 11-17-2007, 02:22 PM
A Weald Wolf

Server: Permafrost
Angry What am I doing wrong?!

OK Im about ready to give up on this, but before I do, maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong or where my mistake is.
Below you will find a screenshot of my custom ui folder, it is within

C:/program files/sony/everquest II/ui/ziggyui.

All files downloaded were extracted to that folder. According to eq2 map the UI directory is ZIGGYUI.

SO, Im wondering if someone could PLEASE tell me why I am suddenly getting the default ui? It happens if I run map updater it happens when I don't run updater. I have gone over this thing so many times Im seeing stars.
it is driving me nuts!
I have uninstalled and re installed so many times I have lost count, gone over each folder at least a dozen times, checked the eq2.ini file, checked and rechecked each individual zip file...read every readme and still Im getting the default. Im to the point now where Im almost ready to just play with the default UI.

I HATE THE DEFAULT UI!

Sorry for shouting. Im just very frustrated and really want to get in and play RoK. My hope is that it is someone can look and see something I have inadvertantly overlooked. it's either that or every single piece mod I happened to choose no longer works and the game is redirecting and just using the default.

Anyway Im rambling but here is the screen shot:

Thank you to anyone who might be able to help!

a frazzled and worn out
Lexi
Unread 11-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Your UI folder is ok, you now need to turn you attention to the eq2.ini file located in your x:\Sony\EveryQuest II\ folder. Make sure it is pointing to ziggyUI.
Unread 11-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Have you manually edited any of the pieces, or verified that it works when not using EQ2MAPs?

If a file is messed up, the game will revert to default.
Unread 11-17-2007, 03:36 PM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
Your UI folder is ok, you now need to turn you attention to the eq2.ini file located in your x:\Sony\EveryQuest II\ folder. Make sure it is pointing to ziggyUI.
The info in the EQ2.ini File is:

cl_ui_skinname ZiggyUI
cl_ui_subdir UI/
cl_movie_enabled 0

I know in school, Way back in the day, Caps were important, Im not sure if it makes a difference here or not...

Is ziggyui the same as ziggyUI or ZIGGYui or ZIGGYUI or even ZiggyUI
I might be grasping at straws here but it would be just my luck to have something that simple (yet that important) messed up.
Unread 11-17-2007, 03:39 PM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Have you manually edited any of the pieces, or verified that it works when not using EQ2MAPs?

If a file is messed up, the game will revert to default.
Nope..well I did manually edit the shutdown mod Im using but Im suposed to do that, other than that unles there is an update, like with "inforcenter" I don't mess with any of the .xml files.

I tried it with eq2 map and I tried it bypassing eq2 map and my UI is still "frelled".
Unread 11-17-2007, 04:27 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

rename the file you edited, that's likely the cause.
Unread 11-17-2007, 04:41 PM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
rename the file you edited, that's likely the cause.
Sorry but Im a little confused, maybe I wasn't clear on what I meant by editing files. However, the only files I edited were the eq2ui_mainhud_shutdown.xml and eq2ui_mainhud_browser_bookmarks.xml the only reason I even edited them was to add my characters names/server and add in our guild website then I saved them.

Should I have not done this?
Unread 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi357 View Post
Sorry but Im a little confused, maybe I wasn't clear on what I meant by editing files. However, the only files I edited were the eq2ui_mainhud_shutdown.xml and eq2ui_mainhud_browser_bookmarks.xml the only reason I even edited them was to add my characters names/server and add in our guild website then I saved them.

Should I have not done this?
You can do it, but both of those get read as part of the UI XML. One little mistake in either and the whole UI is invalid and the game reverts to the default. I had that happen the first time I tried adding a bookmark to the browser bookmarks. There's a ui.log file in your program directory that might have error messages pointing to the problem, but the usual troubleshooting tactic is to put the default files back in and see if everything works. If it does, one of your edits had a mistake. If it's still hosed, there's a deeper problem.
Unread 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

I don't see the eq2ui_mainhud_shutdown.xml in your screenshot.

Can you attach any files you edited here? If there are any errors that break the xml structure in your files the game will not load your custom UI.

Visit Othesus World!
Unread 11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
You can do it, but both of those get read as part of the UI XML. One little mistake in either and the whole UI is invalid and the game reverts to the default. I had that happen the first time I tried adding a bookmark to the browser bookmarks. There's a ui.log file in your program directory that might have error messages pointing to the problem, but the usual troubleshooting tactic is to put the default files back in and see if everything works. If it does, one of your edits had a mistake. If it's still hosed, there's a deeper problem.
I think Im gonna hug you Tknarr!
After going into my ui directory and removing the shutdown xml entirely then replacing the (as written) version of the bookmarks.xml,
almost all of my ui pieces work!

The map is not quite right yet and my persona window is frelled, I actually get an error message with that one but at this point everything seems to be good to go! I don't know which was the culprit since I adjusted them both before trying to log in but that will teach me NOT to try and mess with things I don't have a clue about.
Well Im off to go put back all my in game preferences now and (MAYBE) actually get to play a little bit!

THANK YOU!!!!
Lexi
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:18 PM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othesus View Post
I don't see the eq2ui_mainhud_shutdown.xml in your screenshot.

Can you attach any files you edited here? If there are any errors that break the xml structure in your files the game will not load your custom UI.
Yeah one of the first things I did when things started going wrong was eliminate the eq2ui_mainhud_shutdown.xml. the bookmarks file is attatched though.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud_browser_bookmarks.xml (2.1 KB, 323 views)
Unread 11-18-2007, 03:15 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
I think Im gonna hug you Tknarr!
And the rest of us get no hugs? What has this world come to...

Your bookmark file is missing a closing quotation mark in line 30 ("GOF" link).
Unread 11-18-2007, 04:37 AM
A Griffon

Yes, that line was missing a " and a / like this:

<Data GoFlag="1" Text="GOF" href="http://www.axiomfactor.com/gof/"/>

This file should work.

I recommend using Notepad++ with the XML plugin for editing the XML files. The XML plugin can check your syntax for you.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud_browser_bookmarks.xml (2.1 KB, 333 views)

Visit Othesus World!

Last edited by Othesus : 11-18-2007 at 04:42 AM.
Unread 11-18-2007, 04:40 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:
The map is not quite right yet and my persona window is frelled, I actually get an error message with that one but at this point everything seems to be good to go!
The persona window is bad? Is text on the stats page misaligned, the factions page is blank, that sort of thing? If so, make sure you use the ProfitUI Updater to get the latest stuff, there's been some updates since 4.3.1. One of the problems in the original release was the persona window being broken. The map window sounds similar, possibly an old EQ2Map eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml file. Getting the latest Profit, and the latest EQ2Map files through the map updater program, should clear both of those problems up.

If you use the ProfitUI updater, make sure to go into Settings, Ignored Files and double-click the bookmarks file (and any others you've edited) so they turn red. That'll keep the updater from downloading them again. If you ignore files, watch the version notes for signs those files have been changed and need refreshed and re-edited.
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:07 AM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
And the rest of us get no hugs? What has this world come to...

Your bookmark file is missing a closing quotation mark in line 30 ("GOF" link).
OH GM Of course you get hugs!
You are all in my hug list for taking the time to help lil old me. If not for you guys I would still be going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong or have given up and suffered through with the default. You modders Truly help make the game better.

So here ya go... hmmmm no hug emote... well then I will give you this:

/em hugs GM9
and just cuz your you... ya get an added bonus
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:13 AM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
Yes, that line was missing a " and a / like this:

<Data GoFlag="1" Text="GOF" href="http://www.axiomfactor.com/gof/"/>

This file should work.

I recommend using Notepad++ with the XML plugin for editing the XML files. The XML plugin can check your syntax for you.
THANK YOU Othesus!
I guess I need a crash course in xml... it's been a while since I even wrote any html but I should have known from expirence that the line needed a closing " (with html it's the > )
I appreciate you editing the file for me... the last few days I have not been able to see the forest because of all the trees!
and you get a hug too! /em hugs Othesus plus you get,
Notepad ++ huh? I guess the days of doing my editing with plain old Notepad are in the wind. I will get it right now! Thank you again!
Lexi
Unread 11-18-2007, 10:21 AM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
The persona window is bad? Is text on the stats page misaligned, the factions page is blank, that sort of thing? If so, make sure you use the ProfitUI Updater to get the latest stuff, there's been some updates since 4.3.1. One of the problems in the original release was the persona window being broken. The map window sounds similar, possibly an old EQ2Map eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml file. Getting the latest Profit, and the latest EQ2Map files through the map updater program, should clear both of those problems up.

If you use the ProfitUI updater, make sure to go into Settings, Ignored Files and double-click the bookmarks file (and any others you've edited) so they turn red. That'll keep the updater from downloading them again. If you ignore files, watch the version notes for signs those files have been changed and need refreshed and re-edited.
Um... hmmm Well all I know is when I go into game and hit the P key I get a message box telling me that Im using a mod that is no longer compatable with eq2 and that I should update that mod or remove it and defer to the default Persona window.

Not to seem flipant but I don't use Profit... I don't use any mod "set" I have several pieces from various folks, like Ricks expirence and persona window, as well as Othesus' browser and Milquetowst's infocenter Uberfuzzy's clock and compass and Seagoats KOOL eyeball target ring.(to name a few) I have perused the various "sets" and although there are some things about all of them I like, there are some things I don't care for... none of them are, for lack of a better word, customizable enough for me.

I have 2 widescreen monitors running either 1680x1050 or 1920x1440 and run in full screen I don't like a lot of clutter on my screen, I like things compact and "flowing" but I also want them at a glance visable I have bad eyes so even though smaller is "neater" it's not always easy to view on the run or during a fight.

I am AFAIK using the most updated EQ2 map it is the auto update version.
Unread 11-18-2007, 10:41 AM
A Griffon

The RickF7666 Persona Window hasn't been updated for GU 40 yet. It looks like he's still around so he'll probably update it at some point.

The default persona window got a lot more information in GU 40 so it may work fine for you. You could also try my persona window here. It displays every available stat and you can hide some of the information if you don't want to see it.

Visit Othesus World!
Unread 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
The RickF7666 Persona Window hasn't been updated for GU 40 yet. It looks like he's still around so he'll probably update it at some point.

The default persona window got a lot more information in GU 40 so it may work fine for you. You could also try my persona window here. It displays every available stat and you can hide some of the information if you don't want to see it.
I do like your web browser and have looked through your portal and although I do really like ricks originality on the Persona window I realize it may be some time before he can update. I am going to give yours a test drive and see how it works for me!

Thank you for letting me know I am NOT crazy, well I am, but not losing it to the point of messing up the whole ball of wax.
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:19 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

If you can live without the factions tab you can also just edit rick's window such that it says at the end of the second line:
... version="2.0.0">
Quote:
I do really like ricks originality on the Persona window
*wonders where he got the idea with the background images from. *
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
A Weald Wolf

I wanted to come back here and thank you guys I am in game as I type this and everything seems to be working!
I am so happy! Now I can play and get into the new xpac and it's all because of you guys helping a noob out
Thank you doesn't seem to express enough of how greatful I am
but now Im gonna go into the game and explore my way to level 71!

HUGS TO YOU ALL!

Lexi

PS. from now on Im not editing ANYTHING Im leaving all that technostuff to all of you!
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM
A Weald Wolf

Quote:
If you can live without the factions tab you can also just edit rick's window such that it says at the end of the second line:
... version="2.0.0">
*wonders where he got the idea with the background images from. *

As I said in my last post Im not gonnamess with any of the files, If it aint broke, Im not touching it, and when it is broke I will leave it up to the "experts"
So I have to log to char screen when I swap toons, been doing that anyway when I swap accounts and there isn't any stand alone mod that would help me with that.

I will most definately keep my eye on the mods you guys are doing, kinda been taking a second look at the sets lately.
But for now... Im semi content with using things status quo.

Now hubby is after me to get into game and let him show me some new things so...I am off!

Again, thank you all so VERY MUCH!

Lexi