EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 03-03-2005, 10:18 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Screwed up.

Okay, so I've known about how people can download stuff to make things look better in EQ2, but have been too chicken to try it out, since I was afraid it might mess up my game somehow. Well, I tried it today and guess what...it did.

I followed the directions as closely as I could while downloading this interface for my hotbar, and when I got into the game, the hot bars looked how the download said they would, but...something was seriously wrong. Everything (but mostly my character herself) had a sort of transparent outline, a few of them, all over the screen. I couldn't get it to go away so I got out of the game and deleted the download to my recycle bin. Went back into the game, and the wierd outline was still there, but my hotbars were back to normal...all but one, which is longer than the others and I can't do a thing to change it.

Please help? I usually feel like I'm pretty good with computers, but now I'm completely lost, and I really need someone who won't give me instructions that fly straight over my head.
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:29 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

how about posting a screenshot of what it looks like, and also describe each step you did when you installed the interface and how you deleted it.
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:49 PM
A Brown Bear

Okay, I took a screenshot but...I have no idea how to post it and am a bit too frustrated to try and learn.

Well I downloaded the interface...searched everywhere I could to figure out where to download it to, but came up with nothing and ended up just downloading it to My Documents. I made the new folder in the UI thing, and unzipped the file to there. I made the Text Document in the EverQuest II folder thing, put the code I was supposed to put there and went to Save As. It didn't like me trying to save it as eq2.ini, it said that file already existed and would I like to replace it. I clicked no the first time and then went and unchecked the Hide extentions for known file types thing, and then went to try again. It still insisted that the file already existed, and I got frustrated and clicked yes, I did want to replace it.

That's when I went to check on my game and found it messed up like it is. I left the game and just right-clicked and deleted the UI folder I created, and the Text Document, too. Like I said, that didn't change anything in the game.
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:02 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlycrazy
Okay, I took a screenshot but...I have no idea how to post it and am a bit too frustrated to try and learn.

Well I downloaded the interface...searched everywhere I could to figure out where to download it to, but came up with nothing and ended up just downloading it to My Documents. I made the new folder in the UI thing, and unzipped the file to there. I made the Text Document in the EverQuest II folder thing, put the code I was supposed to put there and went to Save As. It didn't like me trying to save it as eq2.ini, it said that file already existed and would I like to replace it. I clicked no the first time and then went and unchecked the Hide extentions for known file types thing, and then went to try again. It still insisted that the file already existed, and I got frustrated and clicked yes, I did want to replace it.

That's when I went to check on my game and found it messed up like it is. I left the game and just right-clicked and deleted the UI folder I created, and the Text Document, too. Like I said, that didn't change anything in the game.
if you delete the ini file for your character it will reset the hotbar to the right size, but you will lose all of you layout and chat tabs and everything. i dont know why you would be getting strange outlines because i dont even know what they look like.
Unread 03-04-2005, 12:24 AM
A Brown Bear

Well then, please tell me how to post that screenshot. I just tried reinstalling the game and it hasn't even changed anything...I'm about to cry here.
Unread 03-04-2005, 12:58 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

when you add a reply there is a button in additional options, its call manage attachemtns. you click that and it should open a new window, in that window you click the browse button and navigate to your screenshot and choose it. then click the upload button. once it finishes upload you can close the window and finish off the message by click submit reply.
Unread 03-04-2005, 01:19 AM
A Brown Bear

Okay, thanks. I hope it worked...maybe from the screenshot, I can get some help getting it to look normal again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ2_000002.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1606  
Unread 03-04-2005, 01:28 AM
A Berserk Golem

Default Aha!

I can help you! THis happened to me!

What you do is this:

(This will sound totally stupid---but do it anyway. Because once you do it, it will work.)

1. Right click on any of the windows that are acting weird (have an outlike, won't move correctly, &c).

2. Select "Window Settings" (often, but not always, the last on the list of options).

3. On "Frame and Title," select the drop-down box, and selcect None, and then select Frame Only.

Magically, your UI should start working correctly again (on that window).

I had the same problem---and for WHATEVER reason, reintalling, deleting and even reformatting will not ever fix the problem. But, just as mysteriously, fiddling with the WIndow Settings fixes it. Specifically, fiddling with that window setting has fixed all mine.

Please let me know if this works--! Thanks, and hope I was able to help a frustrated friend.

Jerry
Unread 03-04-2005, 01:45 AM
A Brown Bear

Your suggestion unfortunately did not work. I tried to mess around with the window settings, and nothing changed. It seems that this weird outline appears reflecting what had just been there...like, the position of my character or stuff in the room. But...if you'll notice the chat in the screenshot, that is from when I first started having this problem. New chat will come up, but when it fades away, the chat from before is still there, stuck on the screen.

I noticed something new now...my character is in SH and I haven't really moved her from where she is, because the weird outline thing has made it too hard to see. Well I did attempt to move her, and thats when I noticed that when I approached a torch, everything went back to normal. When I scrolled back with the mousewheel, away from the light, everything got all screwed up again. I took two screenshots to show this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ2_000004.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1608  Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ2_000018.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1609  

Last edited by perfectlycrazy : 03-04-2005 at 01:51 AM.
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:13 AM
aka Mook

Server: Nektulos

Did you delete the eq2.ini file as well? It looks like a bad setting got put in there somehow. If it's still there, open it up with notepad, and copy everything and paste it into another reply (so we can see what's in there in case someone else has this problem later), then delete the file and see if the problem is still there.

If you DID already delete eq2.ini, try deleting eq2_recent.ini and (server)_(character)_uisettings.ini.
Unread 03-04-2005, 04:57 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

could try uninstalling everquest2 all together and reinstall...?
Unread 03-04-2005, 07:51 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

This may sound daft also but when you edit sayrecent.ini with notepad and come to save it again you must select in the Save as type dropdown the All Files selection as if you dont that will screw up the .ini extension.

You probably know this already but worth mentioning as its an easy mistake to make.
Unread 03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
A Brown Bear

Well, I really don't think I saved it as All Files, like you said. So...did that mess things up? If so, how do I fix it?
Unread 03-04-2005, 01:14 PM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Just check to see if the file has only the .ini and not somthing like .ini.txt

That dont happen all the time but sometimes it does lol

I think your best bet is to do what Deathbane said
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:09 PM
A Brown Bear

Okay, I did what Deathbane said to do, and there is no change.

The screen looks fine while it's daylight and bright out in game...but any dark parts and it screws up so much, it's unplayable because I can't see where my character is going. Please...how do I fix this?
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Looks like you have torch shadows enabled in your video options. Try turning it off maybe the video drivers or card you have cant render those shadows correctly..

I dont see anything wrong with the interface from those pictures looks like a video problem.

Last edited by Dolby : 03-04-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:58 PM
A Brown Bear

I did have torch shadows enabled and I turned them off. No change. I then turned shadows off completely...still no change.

The only reason I'm posting here for help, is because it was working fine until I downloaded the interface thing...so I know it has something to do with that.
Unread 03-04-2005, 03:15 PM
A Coastal Crab

I'm in agreement with Dolby. Looks more like a video card issue if you have deleted EQ2 all together and reinstalled etc...The only other thing I can say is when you created the eq2.ini file you said you saved it as Save As? That could be where the problem is as well. My recommendation would be to delete all Everquest 2 files go to add/remove programs and delete EQ2 then go to My Computers > Program Files > Sony and delete all the files from the Sony file then delete the Sony file and reinstall EQ2 from scratch...After you've banged your head a few times from frustration Select all the download options available to you and download them...Then if you want to add your UI...Create your custom UI (but remember no spaces or weird characters I would say to be on the safe side just alpha characters) in the UI folder then unzip the items you want into that folder you created...After that, we need to create the Eq2.ini file, go to C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II . Right click somewhere in the window, select "new", then select "Text Document" rename the new document to eq2.ini and hit enter. Click on yes when it tells you it may be unusable...Now open the eq2.ini file and insert the following text (replacing yourui with whatever you named your custom UI folder)
cl_ui_skinname yourui
cl_ui_subdir UI/
then select save...NOT Save As
After you've saved that I would recommend exiting everything. Run a defrag on your computer Start Button > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > Defrag...Once that's finished reboot your PC and load EQ2...If all that hasn't fixed it I would say it was a faulty video card. Hope this helps. Good luck and see you in the world of Norrath.
Unread 03-04-2005, 03:16 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Is the problem for all of your characters or just one?

In your 'display options'

Try hitting the 'Default' button. That will 'reset' all of your display options.

If it's only with one character than you've got yourself a corrupt character, and you will need to petition the GM about it.

I've not seen 'that' one before though.

Last edited by Kosmos : 03-04-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Unread 03-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

The thing is I've never seen the interfaces effect any in game graphics like that and if it could it would be a major bug on sony's end. The first picture you post almost look like your video card is over heating or corrupted drivers. Any problems with other graphics heavy games like HL2? Could also be a configuration setting for lighting maybe since it only happens at night?

You said you re-installed EQ2 but after you un-installed it did you delete the left over Everquest II folder? I dont think the un-installer (like most) will delete everything specially any custom ini files and such.

Last edited by Dolby : 03-04-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 03-04-2005, 03:50 PM
A Brown Bear

To the person who was asking, no it's not just one character...it's all of them.

If it's a video card problem...well, wow. How did that get messed up? Could downloading the interface have effected my video card?
Unread 03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlycrazy
To the person who was asking, no it's not just one character...it's all of them.

If it's a video card problem...well, wow. How did that get messed up? Could downloading the interface have effected my video card?

Can you post a copy of your eq2_recent.ini file for us to take a look at?

Also, if you have not tried it yet. Re-Install your Video Card Drivers.

What EXACT mod did you download what was the title.

If you have never downloaded a mod before, there is no reason you would already have had a eq2.ini file that would have told you it was going to 'over right' Some mods include them in the package. Some do not. We need to know which specific one you downloaded.

Last edited by Kosmos : 03-04-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Unread 03-04-2005, 07:16 PM
A Brown Bear

I uninstalled EQ2, and then deleted all of the files and everything relating to it that wasn't deleted when I uninstalled. I reinstalled the game and it's fine now.

Thank you all very, very much for responding and trying to help. I appreciate you all dealing with me while I was so frustrated, lol. Again, thank you.
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:14 PM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

Dont suppose you could tell us the exact ui you downloaded by chance? that way we can check it out further for future issues...

-Selae
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:30 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

glad to hear it is working for you now!