EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Blackburrow
Default Question for Darqui or any other dev

I use the Darqui interface and I am a returning player who has discovered a new problem. The problem is not with the ui but you guys seem to have the best knowledge about this stuff so here goes. The eq2i (wikia) website will not display properly on the in-game browser. It doesn't matter if I use the one in the ui or the default one. The website displays properly on a regular browser out of game but not in-game. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Belexes : 09-17-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 09-17-2018, 07:40 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

The Awesomium browser which is based on Google's Chromium project is exposed to UI authors as a resizable rectangle. Authors can't control how web pages are rendered within that rectangle, and can't substitute a different browser. Possibly the folks at the EQII Wikia site might be able to make some compatibility adjustments to make their pages display better from within the EQII game.

Unread 09-18-2018, 12:23 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Server: Everfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belexes View Post
I use the Darqui interface and I am a returning player who has discovered a new problem. The problem is not with the ui but you guys seem to have the best knowledge about this stuff so here goes. The eq2i (wikia) website will not display properly on the in-game browser. It doesn't matter if I use the one in the ui or the default one. The website displays properly on a regular browser out of game but not in-game. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I've tried. Here's what I got back from the Wikia/Fandom folk. I'd suggest we all contact these references and see if we can get some action.

Tupka217
Thr eq2 browser is apparently not supported. You can suggest the at least fix this. You can try Special:Contact/feedback or Special:Contact/bug; as it's not a supported browser, I don't think it counts as a bug, but you can probably pick either.

Last edited by Suziekew : 09-18-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Unread 09-19-2018, 05:32 PM
A Brown Bear

Default support links

Thanks for the suggestion. I did send a request but I'm not holding my breath for a solution. Very disappointing.
Unread 09-20-2018, 04:20 PM
A Brown Bear

Default response from Fandom

I received a response from Fandom and they said the browser is based on Chrome 18 which is 6 years old. They are unable to support such an old browser. This might be something you should look into Darq. I would love to see an update for the browser.
Unread 09-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

The in-game browser isn't something anyone can really update unfortunately. The code is controlled by the game, as far as the UI is concerned you make the window that goes around it but the actual browser is a black box. Daybreak would need to update it, or wikia would need to stop breaking it with all their ad code... don't hold your breath in either case.

You used to be able to get around some of the issues if you could get logged in and use the old monobook skin, but they dropped that option earlier this year.
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:51 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Server: Everfrost

Well, as a web developer and architect, I know there are always alternative ways to achieve the same result. This issue is just going to ping pong until someone decides to put down the cheetos, turn off the tv and do some actual coding.

It's not hard to do a better wrapper and I've actually never seen anything so unforgiving. At least, an option to drop the content out of the frame would probably work.

Anyway, maybe if we kick up enough fuss in the Daybreak forum, we'll get their attention. Kind of strange they seem to have just ignored this aspect of the interface for so long.
Unread 09-21-2018, 10:09 AM
A Griffon

The browserexternal game command can be used in place of the browser command when calling a URL. When typing in the chat window it does what you expect -- loads the URL into your default browser instead of the in-game browser.

Much of the time gamers want to direct-load a quest, mob, etc., that contains spaces within the name. In-game, this can be accomplished for browserexternal using quotation marks:

Chat window:
/browserexternal "http://u.eq2wire.com/q/An Axe from the Past"

Internal (click a button on the UI):
browser "http://u.eq2wire.com/q/" + An Axe from the Past
browserexternal -- does not work unless no spaces

I tried every trick I know to get URLs with spaces to transfer out with browserexternal. (Did not experiment with do_file_commands, not keen on that system.) If anybody wants to take a crack at it I'd be glad to incorporate the fix as an option into the many various browser calls in DarqUI. Using an external browser plus full-screen windowed mode could be a practical alternative to using the in-game browser.

Unread 09-21-2018, 06:14 PM
A Brown Bear

Default browserexternal

Thanks Darq, that suggestion works well. I simply made a macro and threw it on a hotbar and now I can view the website as it's meant to be seen.

if anyone wants the line for a macro it is:

/browserexternal "http://www.eq2.wikia.com/"
Unread 09-21-2018, 08:14 PM
A Grove Wisp

Server: Guk

I assume by 'every trick' you tried the hex character substitution for spaces? It would work like this:

/browserexternal "http://u.eq2wire.com/q/An%20Axe%20from%20the%20Past"

The Awesomium browser is a buggy memory hog. It seems to crash EQ2 every other time it runs, so I never use it. If none of the above can be made to work, you may need to make Alt-Tab your friend.
Unread 09-22-2018, 06:08 AM
A Griffon

I'm not aware of a function to percent-encode an address string before using it, unfortunately. Sending a string into the internal Awesomium browser will resolve it, but that defeats the idea of using an external browser with the browserexternal command.

Spaces are not a problem for the destination websites. EQ2U, Wikia and ZAM can all transform strings with spaces into usable URLs. The problem is getting the whole string out of EQII and into the external browser. When the game transfers the above example it ends up as:

http://u.eq2wire.com/q/An

Still experimenting with some other ideas, the answer may be something very simple. Or it might be something we need the game developers to help with.

Unread 09-22-2018, 09:21 PM
A Grove Wisp

Server: Guk

Bummer. It seems SoE's original programmers got that part right. I suppose I can understand their paranoia. Allowing un-controlled URL's out of the game could cause all kinds of trouble - from simple gold-seller hacks to all out account stealing. If it could be done, I'm guessing it would have by now.