Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > Wish List

Unread 12-07-2008, 02:44 AM
A man among men
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf
Default Custom Cursor

Please allow us to some day mod the current default cursors. I want to be able to make my own cursors and use those instead of default.
Unread 12-07-2008, 06:25 AM
A Griffon

Server: Permafrost

I agree with this. Running at 1600x1200 it's sometimes very hard to see a black hollow mouse cursor with a 1px gold border. I have to wave it around for a few seconds just to find it.

Though I understand that EQ2 uses a hardware rendered mouse cursor which must be a *.cur file and perhaps embedded in the EXE. But I swear I've seen programs with external *.cur files for mouse drawing. -- *.ani files would be fun too...
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:18 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Splitpaw
A new cursor would be nice, black and gold are not my colours
Unread 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Digging up old stuff

So this thread is super old but It needs a bump and someone from SOE to friggin' look at it! I've spent the last several hours trying to get my red mouse cursor to work from the files: CursorPallete.tga in the ui > default > images > old folder in both stock and profit UI to no avail. When opening the files in gimp they are red just like I saved them but will not work in game. After some more digging it looks like noone can change the cursors size or color because it hard coded into the everquest2.exe. Awesome SOE. A good part of the enjoyablility from MMO's is that you can change your UI to suit YOUR needs, not what you think people want in a UI.

Sure people still use the default ****ty interface but a large portion of the playerbase uses ui mods like profit because they are just better than default. More info, easier to use elements. Look at WoW and what they can do with their interfaces. Can't speak for any other MMO as I haven't played them but UI modding is fundamental to enjoying the game. Sorry SOE your default UI sucks balls.
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

/feedback. Folks from SOE don't sit and read the threads here really, /feedback is the official way to let them know. They do (on rare occasion) stop by to post something, but threads here aren't really the way to go about it.

As for bashing the default UI... that's not a good way to get SOE to do what you want. They've continued to improve it (quest helper, unification of transport methods in the next GU, etc.), but the main reason the default is less featured than custom UIs is because it has to appeal to everyone to some extent. They've started to put more 'advanced' things you see in custom UIs in there (for example, putting raid detriments in an option of the raid window), but why try to do it all? That's the whole point of having a customizable UI with a modding community.
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

I agree /feedback is the proper method to getting SoE to see it. But bashing them the way you did would probally just get the suggestion into a trash bin. Another thing EQ2 isn't WoW and I sure the heck hope they don't make it more WoW like because frankly its already getting to WoWy as it is. WoW mods are also known for allowing cheats/hacks and even password theft. Blizzard bans a ton of accounts regularly because they "got stolen then did something against the EULA of that game to get it banned" and I've seen 1st hand the scripts usable in WoW to cheat at accomplshments and such that it made me sick.

Bashing SoE and the fact the Default UI don't allow you to change some basic things is just wrong. Communicate properly and maybe they will listen.
Unread 05-24-2010, 02:50 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

ya'll took it a little harsh, but I am not saying it needs to be like WoW in any way. I know the mods there can be almost classified as cheating with what you can do but a lot of the elements of the UI are fully customizable. That is the only thing about WoW that I liked, not the game itself. As for bashing the UI, that's a harsh word. Just because I said it sucks doesn't qualify what I said as bashing. It sucks because it's very dull and bland in appearance. Profit isn't a whole lot better but admit it, EQ2/SOE isn't very nice to the modding community. I understand that a company wants to keep it simple and open for everyone and all that, don't need to explain it.

There are some limitations to what you can actually do with the UI when you're looking to make your own or even download a package someone else makes. EQ2interface is pretty much the only source for any type of mods but it seems like most of them all do the same thing really. Now I hate to bring up WoW again but some things that I enjoyed from the UI mods I used are the things I'd like to see us be able to do. Hotbars for my first example. I had a wide variety to choose from, be it round, square, hexaganal, dull appearance, shiny appearance could all be changed. This type of mod in no way could ever help you 'cheat' at EQ2. Player windows and group windows: None of the ones people have made truly fit what I want to look at while playing. Ever seen the diablo 2 health and mana orbs? Those were cool, maybe I'd like to have them in EQ2, another mod that in no way could help you cheat or give you an advantage. I believe someone tried to do this type of mod but it looked pretty complicated get working right and such, so I avoided it.

I'd even go so far as to say allowing us to to split up the group and or raid window into their own elements. I may want the tank on top, with 3 other group members below that and 2 on the bottom (healers) for my group window. That may not make sense to someone who still plays on a small screen. Having a large monitor allows for more UI! I could completely go nuts and say I want dual monitor support. That's right, you want it, I want it, and anyone who runs dual screens wants it. Who wouldn't want to be able to drag the map, journal, chat windows, quest helper, and whatever else you want onto the other screen and have them always be up for you to glance at? Would that give someone an advantage over others? I don't think it would. "But what about people without dual screens or those who don't want it?" That's easy, it's an option! Click ON, click OFF.

Oye I am getting carried away. Few more things to get out there while I'm at it: Get on with shader 3, quad core, and new skeletal models for new *better* armor appearances. My PC should run this game 10x better than it does. My stuffs only a year old but it's still way more than enough..well .. should be..