EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 04-25-2005, 02:24 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere
Default Guild Wars

Since this is a chit-chat forum, I felt it was ok for me to ask this question.. If not please forgive me.

Anyone else excited about Guild Wars release this weekend?
Unread 05-01-2005, 12:23 PM
A Griffon

Of course this is just my own opinion but...

I think a dev team would have to try really, really hard to make a combat system more boring than it is in GuidWars. I got bored in about 2 hours.

Flush! There goes $39.99

Looks like I'll be playing Splinter Cell for a while.

The PC Version graphics were jaw dropping on my computer.
I have the eVA 6800 Ultra, with 2G of ram and AMD 3500+ and I can't play with everything maxed out at 1600x1200.

Not sure how it looks on XBOX but on my computer it's blowing me away.
Unread 05-01-2005, 01:10 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos
Of course this is just my own opinion but...

I think a dev team would have to try really, really hard to make a combat system more boring than it is in GuidWars. I got bored in about 2 hours.

Flush! There goes $39.99

Looks like I'll be playing Splinter Cell for a while.

The PC Version graphics were jaw dropping on my computer.
I have the eVA 6800 Ultra, with 2G of ram and AMD 3500+ and I can't play with everything maxed out at 1600x1200.

Not sure how it looks on XBOX but on my computer it's blowing me away.
Spliter Cell ROXXORS!!!! Its the only quasi-military game i'll ever play, and enjoy. Haven't played much of Pandora Tomorrow (the 2nd one) but it is NICE
Unread 05-01-2005, 01:34 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

It doesn't look quite as good on XBOX, but the limitations of the display on a tv screen makes it so you really don't notice. It just looks like the whole game is run through a slight blur filter - which might be nicer sometimes
Unread 05-01-2005, 01:38 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Smile

I am having a blast with guild wars. I have been waiting for a new diablo like game. And it gives me something cheap to play when I need a break from EQ2
Unread 05-01-2005, 02:08 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

hehe, try playing Sacred sometime, when it's on the 10 dollar rack

That game has so many hacks and cheats that the tiny devteam just can't keep up with them.

For example, you can get these items that absorb a percentage of damage done to you, and turn that damage into gold in your inventory. (don't ask me why such an item would even be put into a game, it's only asking for abuse) People could stack these items, so dupers would simply dupe them until they had 100% damage absorbtion, and then go to the PvP servers and be invincible - level 5 guys kicking level 40 guys butts.

Guild Wars can't be that bad Or maybe it can..
Unread 05-01-2005, 02:35 PM
A Griffon

Well it all depends on a person's play style of course.

the graphics are beautiful in guildwars, I'll give them that.

I was a little dissapointed in the character creation. I had the impression I was going to be able to make a really unique character, but that isn't the case at all. I felt very limited in my choices.

The combat was what really killed me. I played a ranger in eq2 and love the fact that I couldn't get by with just 'button mashing'

About GuildWars...
I'm sorry, if I can launch a bow attack 2inches from the mob, something is wrong. That added to the fact that only 8 abilities can be equipped at one time, makes things a bit boring for me. It's a neat idea, and in the PVP arena those choices are very important, but solo game play is just boreing to tears.

I'll admit I'm a hard cusomter to satisfy. I have had Warhammer 40,000 sitting around for months while I played EQ2, and I gave it a good solid go over the last few days, and it's just not doing it for me either.
I really expected that it would, since I love StarCraft so much.

It's always a tought call to make, demo's never do a game real justice, and reviews are really don't always help all that much. The really hard hit is gettings stuck with a game that you can't return when you realize a day into it that it just sucks for you.

My girlfriends trying to get me to roll up an Assisin in Freeport, because she has started a character over there, and I have been watching her play, and it just totally lost it's luster for me. Who knows maybe in a few months or a year, I'll come back around to EQ2, the nice thing is I KNOW it will still be around at that time, and it will probably be better.

I really wish there was more diversity in the game world, but its' been attack of the clones for ages now, and a seems as the only way to get a game made that is novel these days is to do it yourself, which is a hard pill to swallow for anybody.

It's funny really, because I think that is what 99% of the gamers are looking for. A turly 'unique' game. But the very way the industry is set up, that is what we get the least of. Movie's, and books are the same way, so why shouldn't games be different.

Different = Risky

Once someone takes the risk, and poves a market is viable, everyone wants to cloan it, and take a piece of the pie. Nothing new there.

Umm.. WOW, ok sorry about the rant....

Last edited by Kosmos : 05-01-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Unread 05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
A Griffon

Play Fable. It's a consol game, i think for PS2. You start out as a little kid, and through your own choices you get a totally unique character. Each time. Your character just simply evolves the more you play. I haven't got to play it yet, but i want to
Unread 05-01-2005, 05:28 PM
A Grove Wisp

Fable is for xbox by the way, its a great game but has a short play time only about 8-15 hours before you beat it
Unread 05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Any one remember the old nintendo game called earth bound where you play a little kid on go on quests?
Unread 05-01-2005, 05:57 PM
A Griffon

Server: Toxxulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars
Fable is for xbox by the way, its a great game but has a short play time only about 8-15 hours before you beat it

Fable is due out for PC within the next few months.
Unread 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars
Hmmmm.. You play the whole life of a guy from kid to adult, and its only a few days worth of play?
Unread 05-01-2005, 07:21 PM
A Griffon

Again, its a play style thing.

Personally, I liked things WAY back when there was Space Quest, and Kings Quest, and you didn't have the internet to go to when you got stuck in someting. LOL. I remember spending weeks just trying to figure out how to type the correct phrase.

I'm probably one of the only people in the world that hated the new, click-n-play no keyboard method that Sierra came out with for adventure games.

I know I suck, I'm old, but that was some kewl s... back then.

and now if you get stuck it takes the will of the gods to not get online and find the answer in about two seconds.

Two memorable moments...

Trying to use the screwdriver to fix the elevator in SpaceQuest 1...

and

learning the fraze.. "place gem in mouth" for Space Quest II.

Yeah, I know I'm an old fart.
Unread 05-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Server: Crushbone

I like playing Guild Wars a lot and the way they made rangers was actually a big draw for me. The fact I dont have to deal with ammo and I can shoot the mob point-blank (even an attack that requires close proximity). Made a ranger/necro, theres just something that feels good about having a tiger pet and 6 undead pets tearing apart your enemies, feels like my own personal army. There is a lack of customization but I can understand that since they really want to keep PvP balanced.

Sad thing is its focused on PvP and I have already managed to run in to a couple of korean teams hacking the game.

Otherwise I'm waiting on Auto Assault and Phantasy Star Universe since they both have very different combat systems compared to the rest of the mmog market. I loved phantasy star online but it was too short and people hacked the hell out of it.
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:01 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Kosmos I feel your pain as well. I feel that MMORPG has really become cookie cutter and the games that advertise unique characters and experiences really should get out Webster's and look up the word. I fail to see how anyone can create a unique experience while clearly copying the experience from another game. Let's not forget of course the obvious, copying the experience from some particular author's book.

The irony in the whole situation is that a lot of game are trying to make the game immersive by mimicking real life while every constraint they put in the game is adverse to real life. They have left out the core human tendencies for invention, diversity, self improvement, etc. For example where do magic spells come from? Seems like some person would have had to study and determine how to affect the magic effects desired, most likely through trial and error. Here you go, you magically infer some sculpted spell based on your class, presumably based on being trained by someone else. While I appreciate the complexity of attempting to create a unique experience to incorporate human ingenuity while attempting to balance gameplay so it is fun for everyone it seems that no one is particularly interested in even trying.

Then there are the restrictions. In real life there are no such restrictions, if you are puny you work out. If you work out you have less time to study. Ok I understand these rules but you can decide. These things are not decided for you. Growth based on what you do, not what you are supposed to do also seems to be lacking seriously in MMORPG.

These aren't even unique ideas (yes I see the irony) there are non MMORPG type games that introduce these concepts. And why not, these concepts are modeled on real life. There are many ideas that I have that I can proudly say are truly unique. I might grasp on to them while entertaining the true fantasy that I might some day be able to introduce them to people in game format. Anyone have a pile of money sitting around? I bet there are enough developers without game experience that have some naive notions as to what a game engine can be.
Unread 05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
A Griffon

D&D Online

Kosmos, if nothing else, you can try for DDO alpha/beta

Last edited by dc_roenfanz : 05-02-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Unread 05-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Server: Crushbone

Well when it comes to things that don't actually exist, like magic, they can have it act any way they please. Combat on the other hand is really starting to seem sad in mmog's. Even in Guild Wars they say that the game requires a lot of skill which is presented in the form of a how many spells you can have on you at once, thing is the way they have it is exactly how EQ1 was with spells except guild wars requires you to switch spells in town and can't do it during a mission. Really wish someone would come out with a true mmo action-rpg.

In the mean time I'm waiting to get in the beta for Auto Assault
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:28 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Kosmos,

take screwdriver, use screwdriver, "I dont see that around here", use screwdriver on elevator, "You cant do that", use screwdriver with elevator, "You cant do that", drop screwdriver, "You drop the screwdriver", kick elevator ,"You kick the elevator and hurt your foot"....................... OMG lol yeh hours of frustration lol

I remember one txt adventure game "Curse of the Werewolf" if it didnt load in right half the commands wouldnt work so you would spend hours trying to "Swim River" etc then the next time you play the damn command works hehe

I must say the best one I ever played was was called "Snowball 9" that was a si-fi txt adventure...... And all of Scott Adams stuff was good if not very short one game only had about 10 rooms I think it was called "The Count" I am sure it was that one.... nvm..... So yeh your not the only old fart out there Kos lol
Unread 05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
A Brown Bear

On the topic of Guild Wars, it's garbage.
But on the topic of text based games, i'm a giant fan. i found an online version of zork a while ago, along with a list of a whole slew of text based games and smack. i think i've finished about two or three. i love it all, though.
Unread 05-03-2005, 08:03 PM
A Grove Wisp

O.M.F.G.
Text-bases games were awesome! Zork I broke me in... and it was all over after that. Once Sierra started adding graphics I knew I was a computer geek for life.

P.S.
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

OR
http://www.ifiction.org/games/

Last edited by Nightlord : 05-03-2005 at 10:09 PM.