Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 07-01-2008, 09:46 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Couldn't you just create a "master" button which essentially does the same exact thing as this, but you have to press it to cast cures appropriately? And then click it again afterward for remaining cures?

This would be totally user-dependent, not Auto, and would be like a smarter click-to-cure....
Not sure I understand this, do you mean a click-to-cure which only cures when you really need a cure and otherwise does nothing?
Unread 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

I 'think' what he means is, just have one button you press. When you press that button it will cure any group member that needs curing and not have to actually click on a button for that group member.

Personally I don't see them banning for using such a script. heck I would say 90% of all crafters use some sort of macroing system. All the big time salers do I know for fact and SOE does nothing to them so /shrug.

Yes I know there are lots of crafters out there that do not use a macro system and do it correctly, just saying there are less of you then the other.

Last edited by Landiin : 07-01-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:06 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
Not sure I understand this, do you mean a click-to-cure which only cures when you really need a cure and otherwise does nothing?
Yeah kinda what Landiin said.

It's would just be a button that when pressed would cast a cure if needed. If there's more than 1 cure being needed, you press it again after it's done casting.

That way it would be 1 cast per click, you would have to click it yourself, and if it had nothing to cast, it would do nothing.
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:06 PM
A Nerius Seer

Server: Grobb

Im goin to love the discussion at Fanfaire about this with SOE.
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Yeah kinda what Landiin said.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, that way the MT might not get a critical cure in time because you may be curing yourself and 4 other group members of non-critical impairments first.
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Well that's the thing... it's you who has to press it. It's not mandatory to do. But it still covers a lot of of options without having to move around the screen with your mouse.
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Ok, I get it, you mean an additional button, not a replacement for current click to cure. Sorry if I'm slow today.
I guess I agree that this would be ok EULA-wise.
Unread 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

I'd have to look at the current EULA, but at one time there was verbage that barred the following activities...

1) No unattended game play (generally this translates to if you don't respond to a GM tell within 15min, you are subject to suspention).

2) No distribution of tools for automating game play (3rd party or not). I think the point of this is that SOE can't really stop people from using 3rd party macro systems, but they don't want to encourage it by allowing the proliferation of EQ2 specific automators.

So you can develope your own tools and macros all you want, just don't make them available to others, and don't get caught using them when not at the keys.

SOE is very much not ok with automated game play, attended or otherwise. I've had lengthy discussions with senior devs at SOE about this subject. SOE intentionally left out some very basic functions that should make this obvious, like pause commands (which were in EQ1). In fact the whole custom script engine used in the XML was developed in an attempt to avoid many of the automation pitfalls possible with a more robust scripting engine like LUA.

It was over 3 yrs ago when I asked SOE if they'd mind if I implemented a pause macro system using just the XML tools they gave us... their responce was "please don't". The script engine has been extended alot since then, and some of those extentions have opened the door for more automation. Just because its possible, doesn't mean its ok.
Unread 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM
A Dragoon Sith
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I just wanted to add my 2cp:

When I heard about this mod I was surprised that this was possible with a UI Mod. I downloaded the mod and looked at the code as I was curious. I thought and still think it is a cool piece of software, but none the less I never installed it, as it somehow didn't feel right to me.

In the End I have to say:
Kudos for your work. It was well done, but I also think it was a bit over the line and a mod that would automate more then curing (the healing or casting mod) would clearly being over the line. I still hope to see some other mods from you, as new ideas are always nice to see and you seem to have nice ideas.
Unread 07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
A Griffon

Server: Permafrost

Quote:
Couldn't you just create a "master" button which essentially does the same exact thing as this, but you have to press it to cast cures appropriately? And then click it again afterward for remaining cures?

This would be totally user-dependent, not Auto, and would be like a smarter click-to-cure....

Problem solved. Don't let the game play for you!
It already had that exact thing. In fact you could use a slash command to put into a macro/hotkey to do it also.

I just apparently had the misfortune of trying to do more because I saw it was possible.

At this point though, any recreation of this mod would be under extreme scrutiny and probably poor preconceptions.

Essentially I'm not really willing to go through trial and error with the EULA judges to see if what I make is allowed. If someone can answer all these questions for me, then perhaps I could "fix" the mods to be safe. Until then, I'm not going to deal with the headache of guessing what SoE finds acceptable, because I already failed at that once.

If you know who I am, you already know I have bigger and better things to work on in my spare time. And at least I do not fear SoE coming down and ruining that also.
Unread 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Mistmoore
Send a message via AIM to Cantido Send a message via MSN to Cantido

In my opinion, Aditu, you're a really smart guy and I support all of the great work you've put out there to improve my EQ2 experience . I even downloaded your Anti-Rays of Failure scripting... and after reading this it makes me sad I had to wipe my hard drive for unreleated reasons. I would have kept that scripting. Rays of Failure is a nuisance, I'm glad there was a solution, for at least a little while.
Unread 07-04-2008, 08:03 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

When will people learn... Aditu is a she.
Unread 07-04-2008, 10:40 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Mistmoore
Send a message via AIM to Cantido Send a message via MSN to Cantido

hrm, either way, I'm not sure if the Anti-Rays of Disintigration script is going too far. It doesn't really automate anything except pressing ESC to cancel a spell nobody wants to cast anyway =\
Unread 09-21-2008, 11:08 AM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Nektulos

This is why the mod community on WoW is booming and ours dwindled down to a dozen or so ui modders. Blizzard has embraced and encouraged people to go beyond skinning ui pieces, given the tools and latitude to do so. Short of true unattended game play, they pretty much dont have a problem with it, as long as you at least have to hit a button or something. I by no means am saying eq2 needs to be more like wow, i have come back to this game several times for a reason; however, SOE needs to realize that there is a very large community out there that enjoys modding the game as much or more than actually playing it and it would behoove them to embrace this community. Moreover, if they actually did give us some more room to work, it would breathe new life into this game. Do i think autocure is gamebreaking? no. Honestly, i tried it before the ban and it is a novelty at best. As previously stated, it doesnt have the decision making ability to cure intelligently. I do however think that this is great because it moves past the cookie cutter stuff we see so much of and actualy shows some innovation and creativity. Just pisses me off that Aditu opens the door, just to have SOE completely slam it in her face. I'd encourage more people to try out new things with custom windows and scripts and let's keep testing the waters with SOE. Sorry if i was too long winded. Again, great work to all of you, and i do respect your opinions on this.
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:55 PM
A Griffon

Server: Permafrost

Well, I did try making another thing since then... but Dolby's contact in SoE went missing or something... so he cannot ask if this one is "more safe". So I guess it's hard to test the waters with SoE when it no longer responds.