EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 11-18-2018, 11:59 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Crushbone
Default Chaos Descending Character Select Screen

There's several people complaining about the red cast to the new Chaos Descending Character Select screen on the EQ2 Forums.

I see that this screen is animated... is the background image moddable? If it is, I can guess that many folks would like to use custom wallpaper back there.

I looked around the UI, and I don't find anything that looks like the correct file for this.
Unread 11-18-2018, 07:20 PM
A Griffon

It's not just an animated image, it's actually a legit zone with your character planted in the middle. There was a time long ago in original EverQuest when your character could step down off the platform and run around the character select zone. It was tiny and there was nothing to do, but it was a hoot anyway. I doubt it's still like that.

To answer your question, we can change the 3D character select zone to the same degree that we can modify any zone, which is to say, we cannot. I can put something like a 50% shade over the whole thing, but that would include the character as well as the environment. I'd rather see the developers just tone down the red haze.

Unread 11-19-2018, 02:43 PM
A Griffon

Server: Crushbone

Thanks for the answer, Darq! I suspected that it was something dished up from server side, but I couldn't prove it for sure.
Unread 11-26-2018, 05:16 PM
A Griffon

For players who are disturbed by the very red character select screen, unzip and drop the below file into your custom UI folder to reduce the red tint. It's a very simple filter added over the window, with just a little bit of green to offset the red. When and if the game developers change the art, you can simply delete the file which will go back to using the default.

If you want to play around with tint (BackgroundColor) and opacity (BackgroundOpacity) of the filter, you can find the values on line 507.

charselect_less_red.zip

Last edited by Darqwood : 11-26-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Unread 11-27-2018, 08:14 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqwood View Post
..custom UI folder..
it mean the way "EQii_UI_Default"? The check rewrites.. Perhaps I have no necessary folder? Thank you
Unread 11-27-2018, 09:46 AM
A Griffon

There is supposed to be a change to the character select screen in today's patch. Assuming you like it, you won't need to change anything. If not, post here again and I'll walk you through setting up this file.
Unread 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
There is supposed to be a change to the character select screen in today's patch. Assuming you like it, you won't need to change anything. If not, post here again and I'll walk you through setting up this file.
I patched and checked and didn't really notice any difference - maybe it's just a touch paler now but still eye strain red.

I played with your settings a bit and cranked up to #00FF00 at opacity 0.2. I now have pale green wash which takes the red out of the 2 windows completely. It does obviously still corrupt the character's colours but no more so than the awful red and at least this doesn't make my eyes bleed. So thanks very much, Darq
Unread 11-27-2018, 05:27 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I didn't understand why at Tkia it isn't rewritten by checker.. hmm..
Unread 11-27-2018, 06:12 PM
A Griffon

To prevent the file from being changed when you use the patcher, it needs to go into a custom UI folder. You have some choices:

1. If you already have EQ2MAP installed with no other custom UI, you can drop the unzipped file into that folder.

2. If you don't use EQ2MAP, you can create a simple custom UI folder using these generic instructions and drop the unzipped file into it.

3. Alternatively you can install an empty DarqUI using these instructions, which will create an empty custom UI folder and set it up as your default automatically. Drop the file into that folder and it will be the only customization in your game.

Unread 11-27-2018, 07:47 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks. Seems they don't want to remove unnatural color in library. And especially to return former selection screen..
Unread 11-28-2018, 06:46 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra'Gruzgob View Post
.. Seems they don't want to remove unnatural color in library ..
Perhaps I was mistaken. They need time. And it's not difficult for You tell in brief here about restrictions of modification of vpk-archives of the game client? What isn't allowed to be done according to terms of game (eula) and that You think Darqwood of possibility of their modification. I know that Valve archives were safely modified by enthusiasts in other games. Thanks
Unread 11-28-2018, 07:42 AM
A Griffon

Altering the vpk game resources is beyond what we do at EQ2Interface for two reasons. First, the vpk files have to be reverse-engineered in order to work on them and Daybreak doesn't offer any tools for doing so. The EULA prohibits reverse-engineering the files. Second, vpk game resources are not interface files. The UI only involves the 2D layer over top of the 3D game world. The best choice for getting the character select screen changed is to convince the developers to change it. Filtering it through the UI is only a makeshift solution.

Edit: Just saw the developer post about missing the latest patch, and scheduling it for the next patch. Hopefully the change will suit everyone.

Last edited by Darqwood : 11-28-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Unread 11-28-2018, 11:57 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
.. missing...
no thing casually not missing..

Last edited by Ra'Gruzgob : 11-28-2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: is superfluous
Unread 12-01-2018, 10:34 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Blackburrow

The 'fix' for this is now up on test and the awful red wash is now an orange wash. It still corrupts the avatar displays and makes the appearance screen unfit for purpose.

I've posted details in the forums and asked for the wash to be removed but I'm not holding my breath.
Unread 12-01-2018, 07:10 PM
A Griffon

Hmm, I see that. Looks more like the left-hand side of the expansion artwork, so it's an improvement in that regard. The temporary filter still has its intended effect of cutting the intensity so I'll leave it up in this thread. Thanks for trying anyway