EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > Wish List

Unread 01-31-2008, 02:04 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere
Send a message via ICQ to FloridaFringe Send a message via AIM to FloridaFringe Send a message via MSN to FloridaFringe
Default Icon Windows

I find myself making these suggestions on the official boards every so often and figured that this might be a good place to discuss such issues since they are completely UI related and there are some rather intelligent minds at work here.

Considering the Maintained and Spell Effects windows, both serve similar purposes with varying results. For example, both windows have a variation of spells that you cast on yourself. This causes some of those spells to be placed in one window but not the other while some spells will be duplicated in both windows. This causes a problem considering the 30 icon limit as well as for those, such as myself, that keep the Spell Effects window on Mouseover only.

What I would suggests is:

1. Icon Limit needs to either be removed, raised or let us "turn off" certain icons that we don't feel necessary for viewing. The later option being my most preferred but either way this isn't a full solution to the issue.

2. It would be nice if Maintained actually showed certain icons that currently only show in the Effects window. Some examples would be Spirit of the Wolf, Food and Drink. If I cast Spirit of the Wolf then it really should be in the Maintained window since it's a buff that I need to Maintain. In other words, there are icons showing in the Effects window that really should be moved to the Maintained instead. This also holds true for some totems and potions that will inconsistently show within one window but not the other. Meaning that if I cast a totem or potion it should show in the Maintained window, while currently some totems show in Maintained, some show in Spell Effects and some show in both. This really needs to be worked out.

3. No duplicates. I can't understand, especially with an icon limit, why certain icons should show in both windows. I can understand that they might technically be considered Maintained and Effects at the same time but that's not enough since All Maintained would be Effects. If an icon appears in my Maintained window then I don't need it in my Effects windows. This would make tracking both much easier.

As a final suggestion (considering the recent addition of the Detrimental Effects window) I would really like to see the 3 icon windows broken down into 4 instead:

1. Maintained Effects
2. Maintained Detrimental Effects
3. Effects
4. Detrimental Effects

Any thoughts on this subject would be highly welcomed, especially if your forum name starts with SOE
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

My name doesn't start with SOE, but here'S some input:
  1. I agree on increasing the icon limit. Allowing us to hide certain icons would be another possibility but it sounds more complicated. I usually solve it by just scrolling all my self-maintained buffs out of the way.
  2. I further agree that some of the icons that are currently only in effects logically would belong (also) into the maintained spells window.
  3. I do not agree on duplicates. I think the effects window should show all buffs I have on me, even if I maintain some of them myself. But of course you could make it optional.
  4. I am not sure if I like the idea of a separate detrimental maintained window, seen from how it would take up more screen real estate and how it would split my attention between two parts of the screen.
  5. In addition, I would like to be able to cancel spells from the maintained window without having to right click (currently it's next to impossible to mod that).
  6. Further addition: a right click options window for effects (not sure about maintained) allowing us to select how we want it sorted.

PS: Moving this to a better forum (I think), since all of this is for SOE to implement.
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

You will not find many people with the same idea how these windows should work.

Personally IMO the Effects window should only show positive effects placed on you by other people or objects. Maintained effects should be effects that you your self cast; be it CA,Spell, Position or totem. Of course the detrimental window would show negative effects that are cast on you.

An option for each window would be good. But would the logic needed take clock cycles way from more important subs is the question.
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

I agree that the limit needs to go up. At least by 10-20 more icons -- I'm maxing it out just in grouping, it seems. Heck soloing I half fill it.

I agree that I would like some things to show up in the maintained window -- the duration of my group insta-rez would be nice (currently it doesnt show up) and SoW would be nice as well as a reminder.

I disagree with taking things out of 'effects' and placing them only in 'maintained'. For me 'effects' is the place to look to see everything that is currently, well, affecting me. That includes buffs and such. 'maintaned' is one of the places i can look to make sure my buffs are all up.

One thing I think we need is the ability to see who does NOT have one of our buffs on them. This could be displayed as a 1-digit number in say the bottom right corner that goes from 1 (1 person has the buff) to 6 (the entire group) or even up to 2-digits and 24 for raid-wide buffs, but a group basis is primary for me. The reason for this is more and more mobs dispell this expansion and that'd make it much easier to see what buffs I need to replace, especially when I am NOT dispelled and thus appear to have the buffs up on me.
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Icon Windows

If the Icon count was increased I would be happy with just two windows - Beneficial and Detrimental Effects. Reasons for this is that you can display the other info such as the Target (Self, Group, Raid, etc), Duration, etc next to the icon or have it available on mouse over. It would be nice if other details were available as well whilst we are discussing it - Source (Spell, Ability, Item, etc), Whether it is an effect, Effective level of spell maybe...
With your sort options this would be the most useful to me and take up less screen real-estate.
Just like to take this opportunity to thank you UI developers again for the excellent work you do in your own time!
Cheers!

Seggo
Unread 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere
Send a message via ICQ to FloridaFringe Send a message via AIM to FloridaFringe Send a message via MSN to FloridaFringe

I've only been a member of these boards for over 2 years now and completely forgot about this particular board. Thanks for the move.

As for everyone disagreeing with me, hey, that's not fair. These are my opinions and no once can say anything bad about them.

Seriously, there is some good insights to consider here so I'm going to take some time and re-think my position and post back later once I have a clearer mind to work with. The changes that I'll need to make so that my current UI setup will work with GU42 has me a bit nervous right now so it's not the best of times for me to be thinking about anything.

Thanks for the responses. More are welcomed of course as I honestly believe that we probably all agree that these windows could be improved over their current implementation so the more opinions the better.