EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > DDS/Graphics Modification Help & Info

Unread 06-10-2005, 01:44 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default DDS and PSP

Greetings all.

I have downloaded the DDS plugin and it works fine in PSP. However, when I save the file, I am unsure as to *how* the file should be saved in options.

I have seen somewhere in this forum that DXT3 is the proper format, but the alpha turns white in PSP and in UIBuilder. I have also seen some various concepts and ideas, but really no step by step instructions on saving the DDS file.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Unread 06-10-2005, 01:57 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to Findarato Send a message via MSN to Findarato Send a message via Yahoo to Findarato

Not sure exactly how to do this in PSP but in PS you need to create an alpha layer inorder to get the transparency to actually work right.

Unread 06-11-2005, 03:59 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findarato
Not sure exactly how to do this in PSP but in PS you need to create an alpha layer inorder to get the transparency to actually work right.
I've been working on the same issue for the last few hours.
I'm using PSP 8, the NVidia plugin works great when opening the files, it also shows that there WAS an alpha channel since all the whitespace is showing as transparent.

So far so good...

I can make my changes (just a color tint adjustment), then try to load the alpha channel but it errors as none exist.

I then do a select of all the whitespace and save the selection to the alpha channel, again no problems. I can save it in TGA format and the alpha channel remains intact. When I save as DDS, the Option button is greyed out so I can't make any changes beforehand, then I proceed to save and a message pops up stating that the format that I'm trying to save in must be reduced to a single layer and all alpha channels will be deleted. (YAY!) Then I get the nifty NVidia plugin pop up, save in DXT3, 5, whatever... doesn't matter my alpha channel is gone.

SO, if someone is running PSP 8 with the most recent NVidia DDS plugin and it works, please tell me what you did to make it work, or even better, tell me what version of the DDS.8bi you're running that DOES work with this version of PSP.
Unread 07-06-2005, 03:15 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I was able to get the transparencies to work successfully by setting the background color to match the transparency color (ie, white) in the pop-up NVidia window. I should point out, though, I'm using PSP 9.
Unread 08-16-2005, 12:50 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Neriak

Hey all, kinda new to this, been tryin to make a .dds image. Main problem is getting background to be transparent. Have PS w/ nVidia plugin for dds can't seem to find PSP plugin for some reason. Is either of these easier to work with?
Unread 09-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Saryn chained me to a UI
Featured

Server: Permafrost
Default General Protection Fault

Installed the plugin, and I get General Protection Fault whenever I try to open a DDS file.

I didn't see the "additional DLL's" as specified in the directions to PSP users posted on nVidia's site - anyone got a set they can shoot to me?

Wulfgyr
"Reworking someone else's unsupported UI, and improving little things at the same time is turning into a nightmare"
Unread 09-29-2005, 09:42 AM
A Brown Bear
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Faydark
Send a message via ICQ to Sorak
Default psp dds

Greetings,

I use psp 7 and an older version of the Nvidia plugin. The new one gave me faults that made psp crash.

A little thing that I noticed is that when you save. PSP pops out a few messages like "your gonna lose alpha layers" "image will be reduced to one layer" blah blah blah. I just click ok on the little pop-ups till I get the plug-in window, choose the format I want and click save. Some how it saves the alpha layer and all the other layers correctly. I think the Plug-in is a little quirky is all. I normaly save the image to a tga format first then convert that to a dds format. all works good.

Older Plug-in (I accept no responsabilty for anything that may or may not happen to your pc as a result of using this file version)

Cheers,
Sorak

Last edited by Sorak : 09-29-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Unread 10-01-2005, 09:19 PM
A Brown Bear

DXT3 eh? Wierd.

I'm using Photoshop 7 and selecting 8:8:8:8 (ARGB) with Mip maps, and it works great. I didn't even have to make an alpha channel. When I tried I got an error saying I had too many channels (5). Guess it made the alpha for me

Then again, I've never used PSP so I don't know how the layering works. It can't be too different from PS?