EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 05-23-2007, 11:24 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest
Default Help for vista

Hi all... I just updated to Vista Ultimate Edition and Home Premium Editions on both machines I am unable to run Everquest 2. Not sure whats going on but the main problem is the updated shows download canceled. Using preferences I get unable to open crash log and when I do get EQ 2 to load it starts to load character then displays unable to open crash log. I have admin rights on each account. I'm using latest drivers for machine A gateway Dual Core 64 but its a 32 bit version of vista. I would love to stop loading XP but until I find a way to get EQ2 to run on vista I'm stuck using the old system. Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 05-24-2007, 02:13 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

Hi - it is because a recent MS update changed permissions on your EQ2 folder in the program files directory - quick fix - right click and allow local machine users group (mymachinename\users) full read write access to the folder and all sub folders - then download should work...

Unread 05-24-2007, 02:44 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasedpenguin View Post
Hi - it is because a recent MS update changed permissions on your EQ2 folder in the program files directory - quick fix - right click and allow local machine users group (mymachinename\users) full read write access to the folder and all sub folders - then download should work...

Gave that a shot. Update now runs through but says update complete download is under button and no play button just says update. tried with default ui as well.

this is driving me crazy because most I know are playing under vista with no problems. gonna check drivers and see what happens.
Unread 05-24-2007, 05:07 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Smile Vista

Check your fire wall. The first few times I started EQ2 after I installed Vista I had the same problem. It took me forever to track down which permission to give EQ because for some reason there are a bunch of stupid failsafes keeping you from downloading *dangerous* internet materials. I guess we are all to stupid to know EQ is bad for our computers. *sigh* no serously it was more than just telling the firewall to let the program through. I would give detailed instructions but I forgot how I weaseled my way to it. Vista looks great, has neat features but the more idiot proof Microsoft makes stuff the harder it is for smart people to do what they want. Oh I seem to get more lag with Vista, but otherwise the game runs fine.
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:43 AM
A Griffon

well maybe Mr Gates would sell more copies or have more users if he didn't keep thinking we need things locked down. I turned off the firewall and still the same problem. I'm just gonna use XP and forget vista until EQ2 is 100 percent compatable. Because as I see it crashes when it finally goes through is bs
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:29 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Everfrost

hi Eowaubeth,
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate with no problems like you have but the first thing I do when I setup my Vista systems is turn off User account control. You can access it by click on the start button and click on your user picture. Make sure user account control is unchecked then you should be able to runs thing more like XP. hope this helps....
Unread 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konan View Post
hi Eowaubeth,
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate with no problems like you have but the first thing I do when I setup my Vista systems is turn off User account control. You can access it by click on the start button and click on your user picture. Make sure user account control is unchecked then you should be able to runs thing more like XP. hope this helps....
OMG Konan for King woot thanks I'm up bye bye xp pro hello vista
Unread 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
A Coastal Crab

I see that u got it fixed but another fix is to right click the icon and click "Run as Administrator"
Unread 07-07-2007, 11:48 PM
A Griffon

Server: Toxxulia

Vista is very buggy with DX9c games ie; EQ2. You will encounter many "out of memory" errors at very random intervals while playing. It was so bad, that I dropped Vista, and reverted back to XP just to have stable play time. I warn against running Vista and EQ2. Safe alternative is hard drive swapping OS'es. Swap in XP for EQ2 (and other DX 9.0c games) and then swap hard drive Vista for other apps (non DX 9.0c stuff). Dual boot is also NOT recommended as when Windows update executes, it still "sees" both OS'es and attempts to update both despite which you told to load on boot. This causes MAJOR corruption and Drive errors. Trust me.. been there and done that!!!!! EQ2 forums also has many threads about Vista and out of memory errors in game.
Just my 2 cp. (Stay with XP for EQ2)
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:17 PM
A Coastal Crab

Default No play button-Windows XP(might work for Vista also)

I had the same problem of no play button and ridiculous download times on XP. What I did on 2 of my pcs..which worked for both...delete the station launcher from the EQ2 folder/ delete any previous short cuts(desktop, etc)repair the files using the RoK disk, start the game from the start menu(I use the short cuts that automatically pop up on my start menu-or create one during the repair) and BAM!!! good to go.(make sure ALL firewalls are off, internet security progarms, etc). My download time was 15minutes, but some of the files might have stuck from the 957 unsuccessful attempts of patching from yesterday. "New game" new launch pad Hope this works for alot more people..just spreadin the love, man :P Good Luck and happy hunting.
Unread 11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I have had the same problems with other games and vista but what i found to work best is to right click on the icon and choose propities. then click compatibility tab and click the icon to run in xp service pack 2 then at the bottom click the option for run as administrator. the only thing is everytime u start the game u have to right click and choose run as administrator but then it works fine
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

I wouldn't trade my Vista box for 2 XP boxs. I don't know why so many people have trouble with it. The only issues I have ever had with vista is it would not let me use a resolution for a monitor that the monitor didn't support.
Unread 11-16-2007, 05:11 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

This may sound retarded, but if you're having problems with the launchpad, make sure you also have Adobe\Macromedia Flash Player installed. I think it prompts you to install, but anyway just something else that rattled off my head whilst I was reading this. How goes with Vista?

You may get a prompt when running Everquest II the first time mentioning a pack. Some custom UIs don't show the ? mark on the dialog box. All it does is link to this site advising to install a patch addressing Virtual address space usage in Windows game development

The start menu annoys me and I'm constantly having to clean it up so I don't have to scroll. You may want to look at this toy to download and run. It's basically a smart "Run..." tool. Hit ALT+Spacebar after installing and type something in like "Everquest II", "Firefox', or "Ventrilo".

Launchy: The Open Source Keystroke Launcher for Windows

BTW, User Account Control is has to be the most freaking annoying thing about Vista.
Unread 11-16-2007, 05:38 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Here is one more crazy thing for you to try.

I run Ultimate, and my wife runs Home Pre.

One day I kept getting the download cancelled as well. Here is what I did.

Start the launchpad, at the upper left choose European, download the patch, shut off the launchpad.

Restart the launchpad and choose English-America, and go from there.

Not sure why it worked, or how it worked, I just know that the one time I had that problem, that fixed it.

Good luck.
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
A Griffon

Send a message via ICQ to Talyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semideus View Post
The start menu annoys me and I'm constantly having to clean it up so I don't have to scroll. You may want to look at this toy to download and run. It's basically a smart "Run..." tool. Hit ALT+Spacebar after installing and type something in like "Everquest II", "Firefox', or "Ventrilo".

Launchy: The Open Source Keystroke Launcher for Windows

Thanks for that link, neat little application..
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I run Vista as well and wanted to share this shortcut to anyone that maybe interested. When I first started to run Vista I wrestled with the permissions and User Access. Doing some research, I found in the Microsoft technical support forums a file they had posted called TakeOwnership. I don't have the url handy atm. There are soo many different tech forums and newqs groups at Microsoft , but I will look dor it to post it. What it does is adds the ability to be able to right click on any file folder
and claim either administrative rights or ownership of every file within that folder by adding the key required to the registry. You can also right click to restore the ownership changes. It sure saved me some headaches of having to individually right click certain files to take ownership to get a program to work as I needed it to. I'm sure by now there are plenty of other small programs out there that do the same thing, I would be very hesitant in using anything that changes your registry or adds keys with the exception of it coming from Microsoft.
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Butcherblock
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by konan View Post
hi Eowaubeth,
You know, I had no idea that this was such a headache. Makes sense though. Thanks for you helpful tip and I sure hope I will be able to install UI's smoothly now!

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:26 AM
A Coastal Crab

Default Crash

Hm, my game crashes after i click play in char select. is it related to what ya all been talking about?
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:40 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Befallen

This thread is VERY old and most of the previous issues with DX9 games were resolved in Vista SP1.

EQ patches have even resolved some of these old issues. In fact last LU(49) even adds dual core support.

The issue you described is likely a corruption in the launchpad. I've had this a few times in the past (eg even before Vista). Unfortunately, the only permanent fix was reinstalling EQ2 after uninstall,defrag and manual registry cleanup.

I always found that launching the EverQuest2.exe after the launchpad crashed worked to get me to play.
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

The answer I gave to Eowaubeth had to do Windows Vista default setup for permissions which can cause a lot of problems for programs not made to work with it so that why turning off UAC (User Accout Control) in Windows Vista helps in those situations. I still leave it off as it more intrusive than helpful for me.
Unread 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

If you run EQ2 now in vista it will detect if it has the needed permission. If it dose not it warns you and you are given a chance to rerun it with the correct permission or continue on at your own risk. It does this if the UAC is turned on or off I think.