EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 11-14-2005, 11:30 AM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Default Reskin and Plugin Architecture Busted!

Guys, I ran the Eq2Maps updater this morn and discovered the latest version of eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml is completely borked up. Here's a list of problems I've identified so far.

1) The UTF encoding is broken, resulting in the Map window being ditched from UIBuilder, which can subsiquently result in the Map include being omitted from custom MainHuds. This can be easily fixed by duping any default file, and renaming it to eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml, then pasting in all map code following the opening <Page tag.

2) The OnShow scripts are hosed, apparently resulting from the Map being shown in UIBuilder, then saved. Doing this exicutes the first OnShow script which reassigns the script value, esentially blowing out the entire window initialization routine.

3) Issue #2 above prevents any plugins from being shown or activated.

4) The include for window_backdrop.xml was omitted (presumable because the default map no longer uses WC_Backdrop). This effectively disables all existing mods that reskined EQ2Maps sence this page was specifically toggled by the initiallization script to trigger 3rd party style changes.

I appreciate the work you all are doing on the project, but I respectfully ask that you not make such major changes to a community project that affects so many other mods without first atempting to consult one of the original architects. I am more than happy to pitch in and help update the XML, or provide input if needed. I check the site daily for PMs and am frequently available through Yahoo if you wish to reach me.
Unread 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Guk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx
I appreciate the work you all are doing on the project, but I respectfully ask that you not make such major changes to a community project that affects so many other mods without first atempting to consult one of the original architects. I am more than happy to pitch in and help update the XML, or provide input if needed. I check the site daily for PMs and am frequently available through Yahoo if you wish to reach me.
If we'd known you were around, we'd have said something. The EQ2Maps team forum had been all but abandoned when I came on the team several months ago. There are a number of changes to the EQ2MAPs that have been needed for some time and have not been done for the lack of an XML coder.

Ultimatly, we reached out to the community to assist us. A couple folks have stepped up to make the needed changes. We have made no secret of the changes we've been making to the XML - they're all posted right here in the fourms.

Please, participate in the development process, we clearly need the help. Just don't presume to lecture us on what we should or should not be doing. Where have YOU been the last 3 months we've been working on this?
Unread 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

This may or may not be related likes but here go's anyway......

The map file that eq2 map updater spits out has never worked for me in the UI builder and does exactly what you just said! .. Be it user error or not I dont know hence any changes I have made to the map has always been carried out in notepad and not the UI builder, It's just somthing I have came to accept.... There are other files that the builder dont like as well but I wont go into that lol
Unread 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Saint, please don't get defensive. I said I appreciate the work you all have been doing and I meant it.

I certainly am not lecturing anyone. I simply pointed out some issues and "respectfully asked" that you attempt to contact one of the original architects. I have not recieved a PM or Yahoo message from anyone concerning EQ2Maps in several months. I do occationally check the EQ2Maps forum but did not notice anything about architecture changes to the main XML file.

As for where I've been...
I have been on these forums daily for nearly a year now, single-handedly supporting over 20 mods, 2 of which are complete overhauls of the entire UI. I also occasionally answer technical questions in the Dev area.

I have been and remain more than willing to help when needed, but I simply do not have the time to service all my users and also monitor every post in the EQ2Maps forum. If you want/need my help, simply PM or Yahoo me.
Unread 11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Zonx, would you have time to help re-work the eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml to use the new style and still be plugin/skinning friendly?

This is the thread on that window...
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4730

If you need the old eq2map xml you can get it here: http://maps.eq2interface.com/POI_fil...ud_map_old.xml

Sounds like the fix wont be to difficult. Just take the new background code and stick it into the window file and re-include it. Then re-work the page at the top to have it work the plugin stuff.

Now I did try taking the page code as seen later in that thread and sticking it into the new map mainhud window and then when using mini-map the map did not resize correctly into the mini-map window.

Last edited by Dolby : 11-14-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:21 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Gladly!

Work in progress. I'll post an update to the thread you linked when ready, hopefuly this eve.
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Human Paladin

Server: Kithicor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx
Gladly!

Work in progress. I'll post an update to the thread you linked when ready, hopefuly this eve.
Whew, thanks for helping out Zonx. I've been swamped with working on this, the POI filter code and 2 final projects for school. Hopefully that'll all be done in a week or so. Looking foward to getting your version so I can alter it some more for the inclusion of the filter code.
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:34 PM
A Griffon

Server: Everfrost

If your looking into the plugins, The talyns minimap plugin will probably need to be reskinned and retuned.

If it helps, the design process of both of them are illustrated here:
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1746

I'd love to help unfortunately, I no longer play.
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis

Yea the maps plug in script is badly broken. It uses all the wc_ object which is no longer the standerd for windows. So there is alot of the script that needs to be recoded for this.
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:50 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Any update on when ths version of map will be released so the plug ins will work? Just curious. Keep up the great work!
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:57 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Server: Unrest
Exclamation No access

I've attempted to download the changes that Zonx has made but do not have access to those changes. Are these private/developer updates only? Secondly, I love the Fetish mod that allows me to change maps that I am looking at right from the dropdown. I have kept from changing the default map xml page each time I run EQ2MAP updater just so I can keep this feature. Mainly because on the larger maps (Antonica and Commonlands) when I got from one side (east or west) to the other, view the map, close the map, then view the map again, I often get the wrong map showing. I just click the dropdown for the appropriate area, choose the correct map and I'm off and running again.

I wanted to say to you all, keep up all the awesome work. Without you all the rest of us would have to muddle through Norrath with the default UI. Cheers to you all!

Take care, and see you in game.

Buyirugh Beki
Stormlegends, a Dying Breed
Everfrost Server
Unread 01-29-2006, 09:08 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Has the map code been changed yet to allow for the plugins and minimap? I have been denying main map changes for a while now. Just curious. Keep up the good work everyone.