Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 10-17-2004, 08:18 PM
A Griffon

Send a message via Yahoo to Esperant
Question Questions for the Beta Peeps

Thanks to all who respond!

1. What do you honestly think of EQ2?
2. Are the classes as balanced as SOE claims?
3. Is it easy to get lost or does the tutorial really help guide you?

Thats all for now I'll have more if people decide to kindly answer these.

Thanks a bundle in advance!
Unread 10-17-2004, 08:36 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: The Bazaar

1, the game is really good, I give it a 9.87 over all
  • graphics - 9
  • sound - 9
  • gameplay - 10
  • content - 10
  • froglocks are still lickable - 9
  • spells - 8
  • character development - 10
2, no my sage is out meleeing some melee classes 4 and 5 levels above him.

3, it's very easy to get lost, but the map is great, personally I'd rather be lost and explore rather than go from point to point
Unread 10-17-2004, 08:48 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Good to hear someone not bashing EQ 2. I'm not in beta and all I keep reading now that the NDA is lifted is how bad and boring the game is. Kinda has me scared!
Unread 10-17-2004, 10:07 PM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
Good to hear someone not bashing EQ 2.
Ignore them. You dont hear from the happy people because they are too busy playing!
edit: oh um
1. It's awesome.
2. No but it is beta and they tweak balance every week
3. throughout the tutorial the quest journal holds your hand pretty well. most of the time it will draw a wisp for your next location, and it always tells you what to do next.

Last edited by insomniac : 10-17-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:13 AM
A Brown Bear
Featured

Server: Najena

Well to start, I have enjoyed EQ2 beta immensly. The graphics are terrific and the game play interesting. I have played both melee and caster type characters and at the moment there does seem to be an imbalance between the two. The tutuorial was very easy to follow and the starting island really does help a new player understand how the new world will work. As far as the nay-sayers out there, there will always be something someone doesn't like, but I consider EQ2 definitely worth giving a try and judging for yourself.

Kuv
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperant

1. I think EQ2 is growing fast, like any fledgeling product you will hear from those that are rating it as a finished product. I think there is a ton of potential, and to be fair... its getting more and more tapped every day.

2. I actually think the classes are fairly balanced, remembering these are not EQLive classes and that they do different things. I am sure they will get a little more tweaking. But I don't see any that won't flesh out nicely

3. Yes to both. hehehe
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:53 AM
A Griffon

This is fantastic to read! Thanks all for your feedback!

I'm curious though about this sage out meleeing others. Whats up with that.

Alright! More questions!

1. So I'm sure everyone wants to know... whats the word on what classes do the most damage? Now, I'm not naive to EQ so I'm curious about different time frames the classes are doing the most damage. Ex. 1 min Necros 30 seconds Theifs 15 Wiz.... whatever. It would be interesting to read and discuss.

2. How are pets this time around? Hows the pathing? Anyone know? Do they need to be nurfed or visa versa?

3. Are people generally playing on the side of good or evil?

4. What classes seem to be most popular so I can stay away from them

5. What class are all of you enjoying the most and why? (this goes for anyone who's played 3 classes or more now.

Thanks all again in advance!
Unread 10-18-2004, 02:08 AM
A Griffon

1, at start fighters do the most damage, but at the end of the class tree necromancers and druids are the most efficent on spell damage, warriors are about the same damage wise

2, pets ( I don't know yet, 2 more levels ), pathing.. you see mob.. you cast on mob... mob runs.. twoards you directly... is this still EQ?

3, I've seen more good.. however I saw my first darkelf today, so really unsure

4, oddly I see tons of Shaman.. ( keep in mind there are 3 other servers )

5, so far I like my level 8 barbarian Mage... he kicks ass and can solo fairly easily..

6, ( this needs to be known ), KSing is no more, the creature you attack ( if you attack it first ) cannot be attacked by anyone outside your group, downside though, if you are soloing this means no one can stumble by you and heal you unless you yell for help to break the encounter ( all battles are encounters now )
Unread 10-18-2004, 10:30 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Splitpaw
Send a message via ICQ to Khelor Send a message via AIM to Khelor Send a message via MSN to Khelor Send a message via Yahoo to Khelor

EQ2 has the potential to be excellent, but you need to stay with it. Once you get past the Citizenship Quest you get dumped in this huge city.

My advice? Quest, Quest, Quest. It's as simple as that. Quests are the way you find things, listen to the npc's as they explain things, in each town is an npc that will tell you about the past 500 years, what has happened, why etc, each of these npc's gives you a different view according to their race/alignment and class.

Antonica will blow you away, on a scale of 1 to huge, it's enormous. Biggest zone I have ever been in, it literally goes on for a long time (if you've ever read the book Eon by Greg Bear then you know what I mean when I say, antonica is the 7th chamber).

I play a bard (as i did in original EQ), if you where a bard in the original you will love how they have done bards this time around, we where that powerful in the beginning that they reduced our damage output, I can do combo's that reach 120dam in 1 round using Heroics, which is pretty good in my book (I don't know the damage output of the rest of the classes).

I honestly think this will be bigger than the original EQ.
Unread 10-18-2004, 11:04 AM
A Brown Bear

D'oh, if there's going to be tons of shamans starting out like you all say that there is in beta then I gotta rethink my class, trying to be a ogre with a oddjob to be unique from everyone else. >_<

Never got into beta, hope I luck out and win one though.

Sounds like fighting mobs are going to be much better especially since no one can KS you all the time like in EQlive.
Unread 10-18-2004, 11:07 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Splitpaw
Send a message via ICQ to Khelor Send a message via AIM to Khelor Send a message via MSN to Khelor Send a message via Yahoo to Khelor

If you like adventuring and finding new places and questing. This is for you. If you are out to make a name for yourself or want to be a unique character then we shall see.

The character development is pretty linear, spells are just upgrades of your standard spells you get from level 1 to 20.
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:27 PM
A Griffon

Thanks for the wonderful feedback all! My list continues!

1. I've wanted to play classes on both evil AND good. However, I was wondering if there is a way to mail items from one of your characters to the other. My concern is transfering items and such. Is there a way around this or is it that if you pick good then to be smart all your characters should be good for transfer purposes?

2. Anyone playing the Conjurers know if they rock the house? Hows their damage / pets / buffs / compared to a necro?

3. Any serious bugs with the game known?

4. Whats your most memorable momment so far in the game?

Thats all for now! Thanks in advance for replies!
Unread 10-18-2004, 02:01 PM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

well i play a level 11 summoner headed for conjurer (was an eqlive mage) and the pets are just what you expect. you still get the nice security blanket of having a solider willing to die while you run away. Mages in general are in for a reworking right now. a lot of people complain that the pets are weak (and they are) but if you upgrade your spell he's pretty handy and is ok at tanking stuff my level. he cant hit for crap tho. up until about 2 weeks ago pets were unusable, they didn't attack anything and were completely broken. today he works fine thanks to the hard working devs. (which is why people are stupid to complain so much) anyway:

1) Don't think so, there are/will be shared banks for your good chars and shared for your evil chars but not between cities. there is/will be a black market tho. (meaning in Qeynos you can buy stuff from fp)

2) conjurer = necro. so much so that people complain

3) serious? yeah. turning on shadows right now makes everything explode for some people. (think polygons going infinitely in any direction (see attachment 2)) the best bugs are the funny ones. NPCs have super high regen when not in combat (like eqlive). And in combat their regen is off. when its PC vs NPC this works fine. but sometimes the regen doesn't turn off when its NPC vs NPC. I watched this for about half an hour today:
Bear swipes at guard
Guard regens to full!
Guard swipes at Bear
Bear regens to full!

Fun stuff.

4) griffin rides. doesnt atonica look pretty? now imagine it from an birds eye view. soooo cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my-pet.gif
Views:	1018
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	51  Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ2_000020.gif
Views:	596
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	52  

Last edited by insomniac : 10-18-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Unread 10-18-2004, 02:10 PM
A Weald Wolf

Server: Permafrost

All of this is extremly good news.... getting sick of reading how bad the game is. Even though I know most of those that post the negative are those who plan to play WoW anyway... but still, I was getting a bit nervous for awhile. Thanks guys! I trust your opinions more than most I have read anywhere else.
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:35 PM
A Griffon

Yeah, I'm planning on going the Erudite Conjurer route first for my 4 characters. Then a Barbarian Monk, a Wood Elf Bard (cant remember the final branch name I'm choosing off the top of my head) and a Dwarf Warden. Should be lots of fun!

Conjurer and necros are the same? Odd... Is this because of damage output reasons or too many spells with a different name but do essentially the same thing?

oh wow... I was having that shadow issue with the start up kit. Glad to know I'm not the only one having the same problem.

Lol, wish I could have seen the bear thing in action!

Conjurer and necros are the same? Odd... Is this because of damage output reasons or to many spells with a different name but do the same thing?

Griffin rides does sound like a lot of fun.
Unread 10-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:

Thats all for now I'll have more if people decide to kindly answer these.

Thanks a bundle in advance!
1. I think EQ2 so far is great. I only play a few hours a night so my highest charater is only a level 17 Crusader. I'm not sure how the mid and end game is just yet but I'm hopeing its just as fun as the low level game. I've been a beta tester in WoW and I went to level 32 with my paladin and then found the game boring. I sure hope that doesnt happen in EQ2 and for some reason I dont think it will.

2. I've only played a Crusader(fighter) and a Mag and so far they seem balanced. Again who knows how balanced they are when you get into the higher levels. The EQ2 beta just hasnt been around that long for many people to gain really high levels yet.

3. When you start your hand is held but when you gain levels you are slowly let go to go on your own. I think this is great when you first start but when you make your third or fourth charater it gets a little old. Good thing though is you can advance fairly quickly to get past it.
Unread 10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
A Griffon

so every time you make a new character you are forced through the tutorial again? I thought it could be bipassed if you wanted.

Also, sorry for the doubled paragraph on previous post. Whoops
Unread 10-18-2004, 06:54 PM
A Brown Bear

Default To the Beta testers

1) What game does EQ2 remind you of in the terms of game play, other than EQ? I think many people will run from games that play like EQ2 to EQ2. The same goes for WoW.

I feel EQ2 will be looked at as the next generation of online games! I fear that many will find WoW to be better. Any good words to set my mind at peace?
Unread 10-18-2004, 06:56 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykind
1) What game does EQ2 remind you of in the terms of game play, other than EQ? I think many people will run from games that play like EQ2 to EQ2. The same goes for WoW.
1, more.. D&Dish.. AKA BETTER
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:03 PM
A Griffon

I read an article a week back that compared EQ to WoW. It was a very fair and accurate comparison but it left out a few things that should have been discussed. But over all, it said EQ2 was a slightly better game.

The best way to really compare them in my humble opinion is that one is built for the hardcore (EQ2) and the other is built more for the casual gamer (WoW). Both are worked on by awsome groups of people and both deserve a huge amount of respect. I'd play WoW if it came out 6 months before but sadly they both had to come out right around the same time and MMO's take up so much of your time I feel forced to choose one. Obviously thats EQ2 for me because I'm a hardcore gamer
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:20 PM
A Griffon

EQ is both though, cause the casual gamer can do about 3 quests a half hour..
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:22 PM
A Brown Bear

Thanks for the quick reply I hate to see some of my good friends go to the dark side (WoW)

Side note:

I was a beta tester for Atari a few years ago as a real paying job and I have to say one thing about it. It takes a month for the printing process of disks and the nice shiny boxes plus the shipping. Right now the product is finished except for the first game patch. Its crunch time at SOE and they will not let the ball drop on the same release day as WoW or sooner.
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:33 PM
A Weald Wolf

Server: Permafrost

Well, I don't have real high expectations of EQ2, but it wouldn't take much to top EQL at this point...been playin it for over 3 years now and I can honestly say....pffft!

Seem's the more they add to EQL the worse it gets...but anyway... Im planning on making an Assassin and an SK, will more than likely go with the Assassin as my main since I played an SK in EQL forever. I have been reading up on the Predator classes and they sound like allot of fun. And thanks Dolby for that awsome movie...only made me wanna play even more. I just hope I can keep the kids away from the computers after they release it...worse than Halflings around here LOL.
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:
The best way to really compare them in my humble opinion is that one is built for the hardcore (EQ2) and the other is built more for the casual gamer (WoW). Both are worked on by awsome groups of people and both deserve a huge amount of respect. I'd play WoW if it came out 6 months before but sadly they both had to come out right around the same time and MMO's take up so much of your time I feel forced to choose one. Obviously thats EQ2 for me because I'm a hardcore gamer
EQ2 scales nicely. I was a hardcore EQL gamer but now due to work I'm a casual gamer. EQ2 has done a great job in keeping my interest as a casual gamer. The nice thing is if I ever get more time I can turn hardcore if I want. Not saying WoW doesnt have a hardcore side because they do. It just cant really be compared to EQ's.

Again this is the viewpoint of a lvl17 crusader. Things may change when I gain higher levels.
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:54 PM
A Griffon

well I was factoring in tings such as guild raids and other events I hear which will require 3+ hours not to mention pre planning. This is just stuff I've read and I cant pursonaly verify it because ... well... *sniffles* I'm not in beta.