EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 09-23-2013, 03:30 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Unkown
Default Hello!

Hi. I recently picked up EQ2 again after not playing the game since.. 2005ish.

A lot has changed, especially technology and screen resolutions.

The in game UI doesn't seem to have changed that much at all though.

Could anybody recommend me a UI that would increase the font size of in game windows (especially the quest helper) so I don't have to lower my game resolution just to be able to read stuff.

I tried editing the xml's manually in the UI folder but every time I start the game the updater overwrites my edits :\

If there is a way to stop that I would appreciate knowing how to do that also.

Thanks for reading!

Well i sorta figured out how to adjust the font sizes of in game windows through the eq2ui_textstyles xml. I just need to find a way to keep the game from overwriting each time I log in now.

Last edited by Quinnos : 09-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quinnos, create a new subfolder in your \UI folder and place all your custom files in there. When the game loads, it will use your custom files first instead of the default versions. To go back to the default for any file you have customized, just remove it from the custom folder.

To make the game use your custom UI folder, log in and type
/loadui Custom
where Custom is the new folder name. You only have to do this once to set it as your preferred UI folder.

Unread 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM
A Brown Bear

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

You guys may know the answer to this but I was wondering if it would be possible to mod the game files so the music boxes play a theme of your choosing.

I'd like to put some EQ1 themes into the game music so I have something to listen to while i craft. I bought one of the freeport music boxes but the themes available in game are limited.

I'll probably mess around with that a bit tomorrow too but if anybody has had success in the past with the modding the music let me know!
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Custom music is doable, basically you just need to find whatever music you want to replace (it'll be inside your EverQuest II/music/ folder or a subfolder thereof) and put a file of the same name inside your EverQuest II/custom_music/ folder (and potentially inside the same subfolder).

For example, I'm guessing that music box plays EverQuest II/music/freeport.mp3. To replace it, you'd put the mp3 of your choice as EverQuest II/custom_music/freeport.mp3.
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
A Brown Bear

Sorry for the late response. I've been playing the game and was a lot less annoyed by the in game music once I got out of Greater Faydark.

That zone music has since been replaced.

One thing I would love to figure out how to do is use Midi music from EQ1 in EQ2.

Here is a list of some of the original eq1 midi's

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/midi/

I don't know much about how EQ2 runs music but if it's possible to make minor changes to allow for a different music file type to play I'd be grateful for that knowledge.

Thanks again.

edit.. well looking into this I don't believe it would be a simple thing. If what I read is correct midi files don't actually contain music but rather commands to tell your computer to synthesize music. I guess I'll see what they sound like when converted to MP3

edit2... Had a thought but I don't know how feasible it is. Would it be possible to have a program running in the background on my computer that reads my EQ2 log file and starts a midi file whenever a certain zone message begins?

Anybody had success with something similar to this in the past?

Last edited by Quinnos : 11-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:27 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

If you can convert your midi files to WAV, you can set up custom triggers in ACT to play them when you enter a certain zone. I've never used a WAV file longer than about one second in ACT, so I'm not sure how the rest of the program will perform while playing a long file. But it's worth a shot.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:47 AM
A Brown Bear

I tried converting the midi's to MP3 and it sounded completely different.

It was much closer when converted to WAV. There still seems to be a few notes that aren't crossing over from midi to wav though.

I could try it out and see if wav's work. It would be nice to be able to use midi's though.

Have to try later!
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:21 PM
A Brown Bear

I tried to conceptualize how I would attempt this and I got this.

Full disclosure, I don't code and the last class i took was high school level yeeeaaars ago.

I think this might work simply though.

Whenever you zone it shows up in your log file as "You have entered Zone."

It might be possible to use that part of the log to turn on and off music.

Define two variables

A = silence
B = silence

Read the log file when it comes across "You have entered " copy variable A to variable B then copy everything in the log file after "You have entered " up to the period to the variable A.

Have an if statement maybe something like this.

If A = "Greater Faydark" then play VariableA.midi ... Stop VariableB.midi

that way if it's not a zone that you want custom music for it won't do anything.

Then every time you zone it will update those two variables.

If A matches a zone that you want custom music for it will start the music.

It will stop the music on B every time you zone that way you don't end up with two music's playing at the same time.

now to see if i can teach myself how to turn that into a program. I kinda got a concept of how to do it, just not sure how to code.

I'm sure the hard part will be figuring out how to have a program turn on and off another program. How would you make a program run a file in windows media player or something. I'm not sure, gonna have to read.
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

What did you use to convert the MIDIs to mp3? Maybe try audacity, it's an open-source audio software that's pretty powerful, from what I've seen in the past. You should be able to play the MIDIs and have audacity record from that playback, that way the recorded MP3 (or even wav) sounds exactly the same.
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:14 PM
A Brown Bear

That does seem like a nice program. It might be possible to modify a wav file to sound more like the original with it, but I think it would probably be better to just make a program to play midi's lol.

I downloaded the audacity thing and it allows you to edit midi's but playback is not supported nor is conversion.

At least I couldn't find a way to playback midi's or convert them and the audacity wiki says it's not supported.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Midi

Anybody have a suggestion for something to learn how to make a simple program like this. I could run through some tutorial things or something. It seems people have posted snippets of how to make a program to open another program or music file. I just would need to learn how to modify that to use the eq2 log as the trigger for such an action.

and it's probably better to just learn how all the things work to begin with.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world either, if somebody knows how to do this with out much hassle I would be grateful. I'm not an aspiring programmer lol

I'm thinking C++ is probably what I want after reading some. I need to find a compiler and some tutorials but I'll work on that another time. gonna play the game a bit.

Last edited by Quinnos : 11-05-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
A Brown Bear

Well I made a bit of progress on learning this C++ stuff.

I was playing EQ2 and music annoyed me again so I logged out and downloaded this thing called CodeBlocks because it's what google recommended.

I kind of felt like I was drowning in it for a bit because of how much features it has on it. I couldn't even figure out how to run a program on it for a bit. Then come to find out it wasn't actually a compiler but rather some thing that lets you pick a compiler (I think?)

So i downloaded this compiler called MinGW because it sounded minimalistic and ran it through codeblocks. I think I got the basics of compiling / debugging on it now I just have to learn more complicated stuff.

I've been running through these tutorials here

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Hopefully I can learn most of what I need from that. I'll see if i can finish them tomorrow or the next day.

Is there a place I can go on this forum to ask questions about how to make code? Also if anybody has suggestions for more advanced tutorials please toss me a link.