EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 11-25-2012, 11:12 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Installing EQ2Map Updater Using Windows 8

I have recently moved from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit operating system. I did a clean install so I am trying to re-install the EQ2 Map Updater on my computer. I already have EQ2 installed and running fine.

I've read through all of the forums and the install instructions. I don't see anything that helps in my particular situation and was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I'm still trying to learn Windows 8, but the install process seemed pretty straightforward so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

I'm installing the latest EQ2MAP Updater 1.2.10
I've extracted the zip files and run the setup.exe file.

The installer wizard starts up and confirms I have the right .NET framework version.

It then gives me the following error:

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files(x86)\EQ2 Map Updater\EQ2MAP_Updater.exe

Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.

I'm not much of a techie, I believe I turned off my AV prior to the install but may be doing something wrong.

Anyone out there able to give me a hand?

Appreciate any help you might be able to give. I'm at a loss as to why the installer wouldn't be able to open and write the file.
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

No experience with win 8 myself, but going off the access denied error I'd say try running the installer as an admin or try installing to somewhere other than Program Files.
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:43 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks lordebon.

I didn't see a means to run as admin during the install process (usually right-clicking the file gives the option), but I was able to install to a different file location (not Program Files) and the install at least finished this time.

However, when I open the updater Windows 8 tells me that EQ2 Map Updater has stopped working.

Original problem does appear to be a user rights / admin issue. Not sure if current problem associate to it, or is a problem with not installing in Program Files folder. Gonna play around with it some more.
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

EQ2MAP shouldn't have a problem being installed outside of program files: I've installed it outside of there many times (I prefer to avoid program files for the obvious reason, hehe).

Is it the regular windows "appcrash" prompt telling you that it has stopped working? It might be a .NET issue where you might need to install an older version of .NET (4.5 is included but 3.5 isn't, for example).

Here's a MSDN article on installing .NET 3.5 that may be of use. LINK.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

The .NET 3.5.1 and 4.5 were both turned on as Windows features. It doesn't appear to be a .NET issue.

It is an app crash type message. Where it simply states the program has stopped working. System doesn't do anything. Windows says its checking for a solution to the problem but never comes back with one.

I finally got past the installation issues, but it won't run. I've run as Admin, and it crashes. It appears to be a compatibility issue with Windows 8 or perhaps with the 64-bit OS? Windows 8 (maybe 7, never had 7 so don't know) allows you to test the compatibility of the program by running it in earlier versions of the OS. But even when trying to run as Windows 7, or Windows XP the app still crashes.

Is the app designed for 32-bit? Is it possible that this could be the problem. I would think others are running 64-bit OS w/o issue, so this doesn't seem likely.

Still at a loss.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

I run it on win 7 64-bit, which is pretty similar to 8 so it crashing like that is very strange.

Try turning off any antivirus you may have and then try to run it. There's been issues with AVs in the past causing crashes (sometimes they just see a program downloading stuff and freak out, causing a false negative, or otherwise just mess with the process) so they can be an issue.

The official updater is very old code so maybe something changed in Win 8 that is just not happy with it. Give Landiin's EQ2MAP Updater a try if turning off your AV doesn't work, if that doesn't work then there's not much left options-wise.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

Are you running in Desktop Mode or Start Screen mode?

I installed EQ2Maps on my Windows 8 Pro (upgrade) machine in Desktop mode and I have no issues.

I don't know if EQ2Maps requires Java, but Java can't run in Start Screen mode, only Desktop mode (per the Java website).
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

It's running fine on my Win8 box and it was a fresh install of windows8. I right clicked and run as admin for install and when using it.
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:56 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown

Try turning off any antivirus you may have and then try to run it. There's been issues with AVs in the past causing crashes (sometimes they just see a program downloading stuff and freak out, causing a false negative, or otherwise just mess with the process) so they can be an issue.