EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default hud posible?

Is it posible to do a hud in eq2? (hud = heads up display) I've used one in the past 3 mmo's i've played, and i'm finding myself really missing it.

An example of a hud would be

http://uifiles.worldofwar.net/upload...1_20061026.jpg

just a modification of the hp/mp window for yourself and those of your target, put in a modifyable overlay that is easy to glance at yet not too obtrusive.

Obviously there is a lot more you could add to it like spell icons etc.

Something else i miss to the point where it drives me nuts is the Healers helper UI mod from derida from DAOC. I don't have a direct link to a picture for that unfortunatly. Was simply a group window with optional names and number or precentages for group members health. But instead of a health bar the entrie player window would alter color dependant on the health of the player in question. Something i grew verry used to, but can't seem to find in any other mmo.
Unread 01-15-2007, 05:23 PM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

On the HUD: Yes, that's certainly possible. The target's health/power would be percentages only rather than full numbers, but it's doable. The ProxyActor window (which controls the health/power bars above each actor's head) could be modified, or a window could be created that's fixed at the center of the screen with 30% opacity.

On the group window: Maybe... http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3908

Most of the groupmember dynamicdata tags never worked, not sure whether or not that one ever did. It might be that the gauge ones worked, just the text ones did not. I'll have to check that out.

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 01-15-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM
aka Mook

Here's a (horribly ugly) proof of concept on the HUD. There's no way to turn it off or adjust it's size/position/opacity from in-game and it's permanently stuck on top of all other windows, but it's click-through and shows the basics. Just drop the files into your custom UI folder, delete them when you're done looking at it. (Trust me, delete it. )

It should be fairly easy to set up a hotkey to toggle it on/off by integrating it with another window (which will also fix most of the other issues, may even be able to get opacity control on it), once the design is finished.

Edit: Looks like the group color thing isn't going to work at all. Just checked and none of the dynamicdata is active, so there's no way to pull color.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HUD_Concept.zip (5.9 KB, 339 views)

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 01-15-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
A Brown Bear

Sucks that the group window won't work. That daoc mod was exactly what i have been missing.

The hud is great news though!
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:31 PM
aka Mook

So, what changes would you like to the HUD there, and will the Clock window work as a binder? (In other words, do you currently not have a Clock window mod?)
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:02 PM
A Brown Bear

Wanted to play with the hud going for a bit to see if i could get any ideas for modification.

Few things i noticed.

1. when no target is selected there is still a red and blue background tint there. Is it posible to make these not vissible if no target is selected?

2. A posible addition of an implied target bar might be nice. I wouldn't add mana along with this as it might make things a bit too cluttered.

3. lock and unlockable or move options for the bar's and % text? I personally always liked to play with the hud having my hp and mana on the left with targets hp and mana on the right side of the hud.

4. Posible options to remove some or all of the % texts?

5. An optional casting time bar included in the hud? Could suround player health with a gradually incrimenting glow up the bar or something that wouldn't add an entirely new bar, but is still noticeable?

6. I'm sitting on the fence as to weather i like the partioned form of the hp/mana bars or just a solid bar. I think i could go either way.

7. perhaps a option to add in buffs or debuffs for target? Similar to the way the target window works now.

8. If some of the previous were implimented it might be nice to have an option to outright remove the target window and posibly the implied target window. As it would be redundant to some people.

9. If number 9 was implimented there would be an absence of any name for target. This could be slightly problematic for some people =)

Hmmmm just a few ideas, and food for thought.

Last edited by lost45 : 01-15-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
A Brown Bear

Have no mod that in any way alters my clock window. Forgot about that =)
Unread 01-16-2007, 02:36 AM
aka Mook

1- Yup.
2- Yup.
3- Iirc we can't get custom windows to save their size and location, so it'll have to be fixed in the center. And we definately can't make individual elements save their locs, so it'll all have to be pre-arranged according to your spec. (This is assuming it's a shoved-in addition and not a replacement to the target window.)
4- Yes, depending on how it's set up.
5- Assuming /GameData.Spells.Casting works properly.
6- k
7- Not unless it completely replaces the target window.
8/9- Well sure then. But the TierIndicator and Info text would have to be there too, and I don't think it would be feasible to have it be switchable: You'd be stuck with the HUD as your target and implied windows. Also, you'd have to work in a place for both sets of buff icons.

Anyway, think about whether you want it as a replacement or an add-on, and whip up an image showing how you want everything laid out. If you decide you just want bars, just list the order you want them in (and be sure to tell me where to switch from left to right side ).

If replacement:
- If you want to move/resize in-game, you'll have to do so for both Target and Implied Target windows.
- Include target & implied target name locations in layout
- Include locations for both target & implied target buff icons in layout

If add-on:
- No icons
- No tier indicator, or Solo/Heroic/Epic text (But the relevant info is shown in the ProxyActor still, so no biggy)
- It won't be resizable in-game, so I'll need to know exactly how big you want it in pixels, both vertical and horizontal. (Current is 256x256)

Bed time then work time, so no rush.
Unread 01-16-2007, 04:55 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

that's what I've been missing for some time, a nice centered HUD...has a replacement, it would be nice and complete. thanks for the work you've put on that, and I hope it will continue to grow!
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:51 PM
A Brown Bear

I honestly would prefer a replacement for the self, target, and implied target windows. Buf if we do this will we still have the buffs and mantained buff strips?

I did up a few very rough drafts to try and visualize what I'm thinking. I no longer have photoshop, so i had to use paint (shudders)

Option one ... thinking center might be too cluttered. Mabey if we spread the two halves furthur apart.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5303/hud2wk5.jpg

Two .... would make the bottom of the hud a little cluttered .. but the rest is a bit more clear.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2968/hud3hq5.jpg

The tier indicator could be placed above the target and implied target names. Or around them if you wanted to do a different type of graphic.

Many people might not actually like a total replacement of the target and implied target window. But personally for my old eyes a hud is just much easier to glance at, thus i would prefer a total replacement.

Not to mention a total replacement sounds like it would give us a lot more leeway in what we can do with the whole thing.
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:52 PM
A Brown Bear

BTW haven't said it yet, but thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to help us non tech types out =)
Unread 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
aka Mook

Hmm. Basically, with the scale you've got there, the icons wouldn't be big enough to get any information off of by looking at them, and if they're set to allow tooltips then they will get in the way. So I'm thinking it would be best to make it an add-on, with an optional replacement target/implied window that only shows the information the HUD lacks, then you can position the icons where they'd be convienient. It'll be a bit easier to make and probably easier to manage too.

I'll alter what I've got to fit your specs there as far as the gauges and names.
Unread 01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
A Brown Bear

sounds great to me, how was work btw =)

We got hit with that huge ice storm out here, power lines and trees down all over. Water mains breaking like candy canes, not pretty.
Unread 01-16-2007, 03:31 PM
aka Mook

Work was exquisite.

Alrighty, here's the HUD piece. It should pop up automatically on login. If not, hit Alt-C (or whatever the Compass window is hotkeyed to) to show it.

The HUD's opacity is controlled by the Compass's Frame opacity. You can leave the frame off, just change the opacity sliders for the frame/titlebar to how opaque you want the HUD. Hover over the compass or hit Alt-C again to apply the change (don't worry, it will save on logout). Set opacity to 0 to hide the HUD completely.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestHUD_b.zip (3.1 KB, 304 views)
Unread 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
A Brown Bear

Cool beans, i'll test it out asap.
Unread 01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
A Brown Bear

Hmmm loaded it up and it was working fine, cast bar was there, didn't get to check implied target bar. I open the window settings for compass and turned down to opacity to see if it would work and the hud dissapeared completly. Can't seem to get it back now.

Hitting alt c gives me a message saying HUD can not be hidden. So that's a no go for getting it to come back.

Last edited by lost45 : 01-16-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Unread 01-16-2007, 04:46 PM
A Brown Bear

reinstalled the hud and i'm trying to recreate the error that made it dissapear but it dosn't seem to want to do it again.

Moveing the compass window it's self dosn't alter anything, none of the sliders (window, frame, or backdrop) seems to change the hud what so ever.

Few screenshots of what i'm seeing so far.

Myself with random target
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4...2000001wp4.jpg

Grouped, you can see implied target hp bar pretty well here
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8...2000002nc7.jpg

Halfway through cast, looks nice.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1595/eq2000004wd0.jpg

*thoughts*
1. The target and implied target name might be a little too close together.
2. If we are replaceing the self window (hp, mana, concentration) this could create problems as you wouldn't be able to see if you had a poison, trauma etc on you. And you would loose the ability to see how much concentration you have left.
3. Not sure if we decided for or against replacing the target, and implied target windows completly or not. Kind of confused on this.

Looks nice =)
Unread 01-16-2007, 06:47 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Interesting project; thanks for all the hard work.

Quick question:

The hud appears on the screen but a few inches off to the left and not focused around the character. Is there any way to manipulate where the hud sits on the screen?

Thanks,
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Wow, that looks really cool. Great work so far!
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:19 PM
aka Mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost45
1. The target and implied target name might be a little too close together.
2. If we are replaceing the self window (hp, mana, concentration) this could create problems as you wouldn't be able to see if you had a poison, trauma etc on you. And you would loose the ability to see how much concentration you have left.
3. Not sure if we decided for or against replacing the target, and implied target windows completly or not. Kind of confused on this.
It's only a supplement, and will probably stay that way. All the other data you mentioned needs to stay in the player/target/implied window. If you merged them all into one (not really, but made it look like it), the need to decide exactly where everything goes would cause issues if one was running a different resolution or had other windows they wanted to put there.

You could combine this with mods to the main windows that remove the redundant data, but replacing isn't feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u16njs
Interesting project; thanks for all the hard work.

Quick question:

The hud appears on the screen but a few inches off to the left and not focused around the character. Is there any way to manipulate where the hud sits on the screen?

Thanks,

Not from in-game, you'll have to edit the xml file. It's currently set about 100 pixels below dead center, assuming a MainHUD size if 1024x768, which is the UI default. If you have any mod that changes the size (Fetish Nightfall, for example, and probably half of the other complete sets), it'll be off-center.

If you're feeling bold, open eq2ui_mainhud.xml in your custom folder. Check the Size of the first page element. Divide the X value by 2 and subtract 350. That should be the X value for the TestHUD's location. You'd have to edit eq2ui_mainhud_compass.xml and change it.

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 01-16-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Despite feeling bold my working knowledge of anything computer related is pathetic at best.

I think i've attached my eq2ui_mainhud.xml file from the custom ui that I'm using to this post. Would it be possible for you to take a quick look at it and indicate the new value and where it needs to go in your hud file?

Apologies sir; my noob behaviour is a very real problem
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud.xml (3.2 KB, 284 views)
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
A Brown Bear

Been playing with it for about an hour or so now. I like it very much. I went ahead and hid my default castbar, target, and implied target window. It is making my life pretty enjoyable.

Only two things i could wish for at this point would be a tier indicator for target. Perhaps some type of small graphic or something on the top of the hp bars. And a little more seperation between the target name and implied target name.

Not sure if the first is even posible. Over all I am loving the hud, I truely appreciate the effort you put in Death.
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM
aka Mook

u16njs: Search for Location="337,324" and replace with Location="465,350"

lost45 (and u16njs too if you want to seperate the target names a bit):
Search for Location="56,260" and replace with Location="56,250"
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:37 PM
A Brown Bear

awsome man, I've already got 5 of my guild members using the hud. I went ahead and refered them to this thread. They are pretty excited.

BTW I don't have an eq2ui_mainhud.xml in my custom folder. Can i just copy the one over from the default folder?

Last edited by lost45 : 01-16-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Unread 01-17-2007, 07:00 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks for the help deathbane, the hud is centered perfectly now.

One thing I've noticed is that lost45's hud seems to be significantly different to the one that I have.

lost45's:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/...q2000001wp4.jpg

versus

mine:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5...2000084zu0.jpg

How would I go about trimming my hud down so that it is similar to lost45's version, which imo is slightly easier to view.

Thanks again for your hardwork.