EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
A Young Mystail Rat
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Runnyeye
Default Just an idea, and I think many will agree with me...

Why not have bird flight paths as a type of 'poi', togglable, so that we can actually see where we are going in zones like Moors of Ykesha or RoK etc.

It's not normally so big a deal for me but recently I started my assassin again and it's proving a pain to get around (my main is a dirge with 100% run speed down to an assassin with 40% run speed, until I get my shard mount in the very distant future).

Just a suggestion, as I'm sure many will agree with it. Being in fens thinking 'which one can take me to there' quite often with the new questlines

Thanks, please let me know if you like the idea too!

Vuetee/Faemous/Valdoartus
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:24 AM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Guk

Presuming you can execute the /loc command as you fly (and that it produces accurate results), it should be easy enough to capture the flightpaths.

Then it would be a matter of adding an additional overlay to the associated zones, which I'm pretty sure is doable. I'm not entirely sure it would work, though. I'll have to defer to one of our XML experts.
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:18 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Not sure if that refers to me but I'd say XML is not the way to go for this. If you remember, we used to have a toggleable zone connection overlay for the old map system. That one was a transparent .dds file that was shown on top of the map but below the POI layer. If you come up with one that looks good (I used Photoshop's path function for the old one, makes it easy to adjust also) I guess we could include it.
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

it doesn't even need to show the flight path tbh, just connect the dots so to speak... straight lines even would be nice
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen

I really like this idea.

Photoshop has a path function? Hell if I knew.
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
Photoshop has a path function? Hell if I knew.
Haha, at least my old version does, can't say whether your new shiny version can still do that. Take a look at where you can select layers and channels, you should also have a "Paths" tab there. I've attached my old .psd for you if you want to take a look.
Attached Files
File Type: zip exp04_world_map.zip (733.0 KB, 280 views)
Unread 07-14-2009, 06:24 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle

I know Photoshop CS4 does, but I have never used the function before.
Unread 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

Photoshop has supported Paths for ages (like since version 7 or maybe 5) for selection and clipping.

CS and newer supports drawing with vector tools directly in the Layers, so you don't need to use the paths tab for this.

Doing lines is a bit of a hassle since Photoshop insists on closing paths if you apply a stroke to one that is open. So you need to use either the line tool or draw a closed path with the pen tool. Then apply a fill color.

Another option is to use the pen tool and just plan to rasterize the layer and delete the extra line used to close the path. In this case you'd set the layer's fill to 0% and aply a stroke using Layer Styles.
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:51 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx View Post
Photoshop has supported Paths for ages (like since version 7 or maybe 5) for selection and clipping.

CS and newer supports drawing with vector tools directly in the Layers, so you don't need to use the paths tab for this.

Doing lines is a bit of a hassle since Photoshop insists on closing paths if you apply a stroke to one that is open. So you need to use either the line tool or draw a closed path with the pen tool. Then apply a fill color.

Another option is to use the pen tool and just plan to rasterize the layer and delete the extra line used to close the path. In this case you'd set the layer's fill to 0% and aply a stroke using Layer Styles.
meh - i wish I could help but the only experience I have had with photoshop was tedious - just making my signature and it's crap neways lol...
Unread 07-15-2009, 04:22 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx View Post
Doing lines is a bit of a hassle since Photoshop insists on closing paths if you apply a stroke to one that is open.
I likely misunderstand what you mean by closing but if you mean that it connects back to the starting point to create a shape that is an option which can be turned off.
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
I likely misunderstand what you mean by closing but if you mean that it connects back to the starting point to create a shape that is an option which can be turned off.
Yes and no actually.

The pen and other vector tools can be used to draw "Work Paths". You can stroke and fill a work path, but once done the stroke and fill is not connected to the path. If you tweak the path later, the applied stroke does not adjust accordingly. The up side to this method is that the stroke applied doesn't auto-connect the end points and can use an art bush.

Alternately you can use vector tools to create "Shape Layers" and apply a stroke via the "Layer Style". With this method the stroke remains connected to the shape. If you tweak the shape, the stroke adjust accordingly. The downsides are that the stroke auto-connects the endpoints of an open shape and the stroke has to be a solid.

In most cases I prefer shapes since any visual styles applies to the shape don't have to be reapplied if you change the path.
Unread 07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Understood now, and I agree, that is indeed an issue. For the file I posted I used the first option and strokes do indeed have to be reapplied/redone for changes.
Unread 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

wow - I actually have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it does sound negative? :/

Is this actually possible? I went through the whole of RoK today looking for contested x2/4 mobs (non-avatar) and i just found it a pain knowing where to go next... the only simple one was fens - Riliss to KP.

Aventually jacked in after KP, we all hammered to JW and killed the dominus there, but you get what I'm sayin' ? SOE have made birds a pain in the arse ever since TS/Nek.. even the ones in LP are an arse as they are quite often out of the way and one of the things I don't fancy having to remember in my already cluttered mind is locations of nightmare horses .

If I can be of any use then please let me know, I will happily go on each griffon/sokokar throughout norrath clicking a /loc macro if that's what it takes to put this feature on the maps

Cheers for your input guys, much appreciated

Vuetee/Valdoartus/Faemous
Unread 07-18-2009, 01:50 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godatte View Post
wow - I actually have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it does sound negative? :/
No, we actually said that we might include it if somebody made it. Then our discussion got a little sidetracked by Photoshop specifics, sorry.
Unread 07-18-2009, 03:21 PM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
No, we actually said that we might include it if somebody made it. Then our discussion got a little sidetracked by Photoshop specifics, sorry.
lol my bad. /troll off

I could do it, but I have absolutely no idea how to. I do have Photoshop CS4 though.