EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 10-20-2004, 03:52 PM
A Griffon

Send a message via Yahoo to Esperant
Default SOE Answers our prayers!

This is the single greatest thing I've read yet for those of you who have not been following on the news. Moorgard posted the information I quoted below on the EQ2 Forums.

Quote:
Since character individualization in EverQuest II has been a hot topic following the lifting of the NDA, we thought it would be a good idea to share our plan for the all-new features that are going live in the next few weeks to give a greater sense of uniqueness to players. We’ll be releasing more details each day, beginning with the character traits list tomorrow afternoon.

First, let’s talk about what’s changing from its current state.

We’re releasing the final class spells and arts lists. These move away from the standard archetype spells and arts we’ve been using for balance testing and give players access to their class-specific spell selections. The spells and arts you’ll see in the next few updates include new effects, class-specific strengths and flavor, and final names.

These spell changes are taking place across the board and will greatly refine class differences from what they are today. We’ve completed the balancing necessary to give a solid role to each class and now we’re excited to release the new spell and art lists.

To illustrate how these changes work, we'll use the Mage -> Sorcerer -> Wizard progression as an example.

Unlike how it was in the previous spell lists, once you turn level 10 you stop being just a mage. As you choose your path and complete your quest, from that point forward you are a sorcerer. There are no new mage spells after level 10. Each class will be branch off into entirely class-specific spells.

Once you turn level 20 and choose the path of a wizard, you are no longer a sorcerer. As before, there are no new sorcerer spells after level 20. You will be gaining wizard subclass spells from there forward.

In other words, there is no longer any such thing as a "level 44 mage spell," because a high-level wizard should never think of himself or herself as a level 44 mage in EverQuest II.

You will still be able to do a number of the same things to keep being useful in your key roles, but with unique and interesting differences that are suitable to each of the classes and subclasses that branch out from the common base.

For example, all priests will continue to receive instant heals, but other heal types will be restricted based on class. Only shamans will get wards, only druids will get regens, and only clerics will get reactive heals.

Classes will also receive a greater assortment of unique spells and arts. These are additional abilities that will likely be purchased off vendors. For example, illusionists will be able to cast racial illusions.

Full spell and art lists for each class will be released in the next few days.

Next, we’d like to outline some brand new features going live in the coming days and weeks. These systems add a tremendous amount of customization to each character and should help you create the unique persona you'll want to play in EverQuest II.

New Feature - Training Specialized Abilities
  • As you develop your character, you’ll be able to specialize in major aspects of your profession. About every ten levels, you can choose to focus on one of your core abilities and receive advanced training to improve it.
  • For example, a priest could train and receive either a stronger heal, a more potent buff, or a higher-damage nuke. This ability would be of much greater potency than the typical granted spell and may be upgraded even more through adventuring.
  • Each profession gets similar choices that play to their strengths – fighters may choose between offensive and defensive enhancements, or mages may focus on improving a damage spell, a pet, or a stun spell as appropriate to their profession.

New Feature - Character Traits
  • Character traits allow you to choose an aspect of your character and improve upon it. Traits are independent of your character’s race or profession, and all characters have access to the full list.
  • By the time they’ve reached level 50, every character will gain access to seven traits that help tailor their character to their preferred play style.
  • For example, a given character might choose to become Clever, thereby increasing their intelligence. Another character might choose to become Nimble, thereby increasing their base agility.
  • Traits can improve your character in a variety of areas, such as increasing your statistics, giving more health or power, improving your health or power regeneration speed, and making your more resistant to magic, disease, or different types of melee damage.
  • Traits are generally permanent effects that continuously improve your character during play. Once you’ve selected a trait, you’ll enjoy its benefits permanently.

New Feature - Racial Traditions
  • As players learn the background and lore of their chosen race, they begin to unlock certain bonuses. This starts with race-specific titles and leads to a choice of racial abilities.
  • By the time they’ve reached level 50, every character will gain access to four racial traditions to help tailor their character to their preferred play style and distinguish themselves from other members of their race.
  • For instance, an Iksar could choose from enhanced health regeneration, increased power regeneration, or increased armor class. A Ratonga may learn to forage for food or improve his ability to dodge blows. Erudites may learn to summon a magical wisp, guard themselves with a magic-resistant shield, or improve their alchemist crafting abilities.
  • Racial traditions take many forms, but are generally activated abilities that can be used on demand to greatly improve your character for a short period of time.
  • Some traditions give bonuses similar to traits, but with much more powerful effects.
  • Full racial tradition lists will be released for every race in the next few days.

New Feature - Enemy Mastery
  • During your adventuring career, you’ll be able to learn about the creatures and monsters you’re fighting and use that knowledge to your advantage.
  • Every few levels, players may choose from a selection of enemies and undertake a quest to learn how to exploit their weaknesses. The successful completion of this quest results in an enhanced attack against that type of enemy.
  • By the time they’ve reached level 50, every character will gain access to six enemy masteries to help tailor their character to their preferred play style.

Summary

These new kinds of choices allow for greater individualization without creating major imbalances between subclasses. One dwarf templar can have different stats and abilities than another dwarf templar while retaining the core abilities that they need to be successful in their key roles. Approximately every two levels players will receive an additional choice that allows another degree of individualization.

We plan to have the first round of these features showing up in next week's scheduled update (week of 10/25/04) with additional features arriving the week after. We look forward to hearing what you think of these upcoming changes.

============================
Moorgard
EQII Community Guy

I for one am ALL about this and its going to bring a level of customization and fun thats never been seen before I believe. They're pushing for you to really think and be appart of the race that you chose. This is great considering we had a discussion about this previously on these forums and now it seems to all be comming true. Bless you SOE!

Added the quoted to text since I am linking as a news post -Kudane

Last edited by Kudane : 10-20-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Unread 10-20-2004, 04:11 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: The Bazaar

Sweet Salted Gnomish Feet.........
Unread 10-20-2004, 05:01 PM
A Griffon

I went through the 9 section post from the link above and was reading some concerns from other people. Mainly being that some are concerned that it REALLY wont diversify the characters... because everyone will get the same upgrades.

and here I am thinking to myself TRUE diversity can only be found in a real role playing pencil and paper game. The hardcore fact is with MMOs its very, very hard to have true diversity from Mage to mage or fighter to fighter ect. because most people simply want "the best". Best stats, best armor, best upgrades. and I'm thinking again... WHO CARES. As long as everyone is having fun then thats the point. Of course everyone wants the best (well almost everyone, some simply dont care and I admire those people). But at least the diversity between races is growing... this could make a HUGE impact now on what race you choose (as if people did'nt find that important already). I'm all for what SOE is doing and I think there simply is no room to complain. Let people play how they want and worry about yourself.
Unread 10-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

I updated your post Esperant, since you had started one I just modified it so I could post a news blurb!

/bow

Kudane
Unread 10-20-2004, 06:38 PM
A Griffon

Thanks a bundle better than linking for sure.
Unread 10-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperant
Thanks a bundle better than linking for sure.
the link is still there. I always link my sources.. its only fair.
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:07 PM
A Grove Wisp

Hmmmmmm,these ideas sound interesting(from what my limited knowledge on EQ2 allows me to infer,anyway),sounds KIND OF like they are implememnting AA/tribute benefits in a different way(granting permanent and short term enhancements to tailor your Avatar(I Like that word~shrugs~ guess it is better than Character or toon) more to your liking.)
Now ,from what You more experienced players have seen(or inferred) is this about right,in a general way?(I read the post kind of quickly and will re-read later,I may be WAY off base ,wouldn't be the first time )
OH..one other thing,what is Projected season Cap on Avatars(saw the mentioned 50th,so am guessing at LEAST that )?
Well,I have Yammered enough
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COFFEE
Hmmmmmm,these ideas sound interesting(from what my limited knowledge on EQ2 allows me to infer,anyway),sounds KIND OF like they are implememnting AA/tribute benefits in a different way(granting permanent and short term enhancements to tailor your Avatar(I Like that word~shrugs~ guess it is better than Character or toon) more to your liking.)
Now ,from what You more experienced players have seen(or inferred) is this about right,in a general way?(I read the post kind of quickly and will re-read later,I may be WAY off base ,wouldn't be the first time )
OH..one other thing,what is Projected season Cap on Avatars(saw the mentioned 50th,so am guessing at LEAST that )?
Well,I have Yammered enough
I orginally saw (and prolly can find the quote) that there was going to be 100 levels. Now they may have backed this down since then. but that was the last number i heard.