EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 02-27-2019, 03:03 PM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Unkown
Red face I had a pre-made ui (Profit) installed and working, then one day

The game decided to go "Poof" and it stopped working. I don't remember how I installed it (it was the auto-updater version), I don't remember having gone through and followed the instructions for the very first initial install. It just worked. Straight out of the box. Then it stopped working. I saw that someone else posted similar issue, but I don't know how I got it to even install initially.

When I downloaded the UI again, I thought I did the same thing I did before. Just extracted all, into the UI folder (it's a web interface installer?), and click the setup link. But it wouldn't work. I have windows 10, and was using Chrome. I tried windows Edge and the regular browser, but NOTHING would allow me to install using the link. I don't have a clue what I did differently before, because I think (I honestly can't remember though) that it was a simple click and install before. I tried everything to get java to install, and it appeared to. But the link would keep saying web api doesn't work, and leave me frustrated.

So, I tried DarqUI instead. And it appeared to install, there was the UI folder and everything. But trying to log into the game, and the game wouldn't start. I'd get the very first part, where the game would update files and ask if I want to select a character. But then the game would show a black screen, it would disappear, then the first screen would disappear. In order to get the game to work, I had to completely erase the UI subdirectory, and have the game recreate it. Or, well, that's the step that I took. I might have been able to save it, but I don't know how.

And now, I'm stuck with the default. And I really hate the default. I've tried to download several individual UI pieces and put them into a copied and renamed UI folder (I copied everything from the default UI folder, stuck them in another UI folder that I renamed, and added the new files to that folder). However, when I tried to look for the name of that "UI", the game wouldn't show it under /loadui. I did, however, have two default, one default_blue, and EQ2MAPS (which I have installed, but have experienced the bug issues that everyone has). I even followed suggestions of others within the game, deleting the eq2.ini file, and locating and finding two files next to it, eq2recenthistory.ini (?I think) and another one. One of them referred to EQ2MAPS, so I deleted that one word, and changed it to the name of my new folder. Still no changes, still can't bring up the UI.

I'm a newb, with memory and sight issues. I don't know what I'm doing, and I've tried following the instructions for installing various UI elements. I know that I've succeeded before, because I can install the recipe filter, and other small changes, and it works after reloading the game. But this is really difficult. I don't know how to individually install single elements of a pre-packed UI, such as Profit or Darq. Especially if it involves Java. I'm completely stumped, and Tofu (an in-game player that everyone on Halls of Fate server apparently goes to for UI help) hasn't been on when I look for her/him.
Unread 02-27-2019, 05:05 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Sorry you are having trouble, bluja000. The Java version of ProfitUI is no longer supported. The currently supported ProfitUI installer can be found here. Both DarqUI and ProfitUI_CE will install EQ2MAP properly for you, so you no longer need the folder that you named EQ2MAPS.

Both utilities will handle eq2.ini and eq2_recent.ini automatically when you install. If you did not get the result you wanted after installing, go to the Files page of the desired utility and click Make this UI the default. If it says Stop using this UI as the default, then click the link twice: once to remove the custom default from those two ini files, and a second time to insert the correct custom UI into the ini files. Restart the game and you should see the custom UI without having to do anything else.

The reason your personalized UI folder does not appear in /loadui is probably because you do not have eq2ui_skininfo.xml in the custom folder. Without it, you have to type the folder name after /loadui, such as

/loadui mycustomfolder

If you want to try one more time with one of the complete custom packages, let me suggest doing what you did earlier: delete eq2.ini, delete eq2_recent.ini, and delete the entire \UI\ folder. Start the LaunchPad and let it re-download all of the needed files from Daybreak. Now close the LaunchPad and double-click either the ProfitUI_CE utility or the DarqUI Unified utility. Accept all of the defaults and allow the utility to completely finish. Now log in to the game using the Daybreak LaunchPad without selecting a specific character. This will take you to the character select screen where you can choose a character to play.

Hopefully this gets you going again wth a custom UI. If not, you are welcome to ask as many questions as needed here.

Last edited by Darqwood : 02-27-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Unread 02-27-2019, 06:22 PM
A Berserk Golem

Thumbs Up

Ok, that makes sense. I've only made changes to the character UI files of two characters, so I'll do what you suggest, and log into one of those two characters. One of them is a beastlord, so she will have to have windows placed that others won't need. I'll use her, because I can always not have those particular windows active on the other characters.

I really do appreciate the help. It was extremely frustrating to try to figure out what I did wrong. I figured that I made a mistake somewhere, and was having a ton of personal anguish over having to use the default. Now that I know about the missing skin file, I'll keep that in mind. I'll keep the custom UI folder that I made, and might even test it one of these days, using your suggestions on activating it.

I especially appreciate your response, because I know that you put a lot of work into your personal UI. There are elements of your UI that I did like, so I'll have to look at your uploads, and see what I prefer to use. Thank you, I'll let you know if I'm successful. God knows, I'm really hoping so.
Unread 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM
A Berserk Golem

Wink

Thank you, thank you, thank you, kind sir. The steps you gave me worked. Now to get to work setting up everything the way I want it. This is actually a good thing, because I've been debating on making some accommodations that will hopefully work better with my vision. I'm making the bottom of my screen pretty darn busy, but it will allow me to focus on the important part of the screen, especially during fights. So bless you, I really appreciate your kind answers.