EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Closed Thread
Unread 04-06-2005, 04:53 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

they won't open the window at all

and as an update to my problem...and my own testing....its only 1 of my characters that is having this problem.....so thats means its SOEs issues?

Last edited by PuttyUTK : 04-06-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:31 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Permafrost

Hi Quib,

Thanks for your very prompt response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
db2005, my first suggestion would be to go to your custom UI folder, find eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml and delete it, then re-run the auto-updater. I've experienced trouble with the auto-updater properly updating this file.
Quib
I did actually try this, as I'd noticed this was one of the files with a date stamp that corresponded to when the problems started. I have since retried without much success. The version of eq2_mainhud_map.xml that was autoupdated (as recently as a few minutes ago) is only 4641 bytes long - significantly smaller than (recent) previous versions - I have located some backup versions that were 43904 bytes (last week) and 50278 bytes (yesterday) in length.

The 50278 byte version *doesn't* work. It seems to be an internationalised version of last week's - for example "'" (single quote) characters were replaced by "'", and various other minor changes.

Rolling back to last week's version (43904 bytes) fixed the problems I reported in my previous message.

However, [and isn't there always a "however" :-)?] the autoupdater always replaces it with the much smaller 4641 byte version. On inspection of the latter xml code, I notice that it attempts to explicitly include files such as:
eq2map/core_process.xml
eq2map/core_overlay.xml
eq2map/core_mapstyles.xml
which *don't* exist in my eq2map directory - nor are they located and updated by subsequents runs of the autoupdater. The effect of this *new* problem is that when I start EQ2, and arrive in, say, North Qeynos, the main screen image is almost entirely blank. While bag contents and chat windows display ok, the main part of the screen - where you expect to see the fair city of Qeynos, yourself and all the animated NPCs - is blank. The map command displays at the expected size and coordinates, but the contents look like a screen dump of someone else's game. Truly, truly wierd.

Anyway, for now, my fix is to let autoupdater do its thing, then copy back the week old eq2_mainhud_map.xml. The above problems disappear with the displayed maps and POIs restored to their former glorious appearance.

I will shortly try totally removing the eq2map software and reinstalling it, to see if that prompts the autoupdater into loading the missing xml files. I'll backup the files first - just in case :-) - so I can report what actually changes if it would help.

Please let me know if you'd like more detail - or quite a bit less :-)

Thanks for everyone's ongoing help.

Best Regards, David
Unread 04-06-2005, 01:54 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

You have a pretty good grasp on what's going on with the files db2005, so I'll see if I can explain the size differences in eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml you noticed. There's something not working as it should though so we'll see if we can tackle that problem as well.

You noticed the references to the 4 core_*.xml files in the new tiny eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml (which I will call the "parent xml file" from here on).
-
A couple days ago I broke all the important map data free of the main map XML and put it into those 4 core files. This caused the parent xml file to become significantly smaller (as you noticed) and allows other modders access to the data stored within the EQ2MAP core files. I just double checked and the updater IS grabbing the 4 core files for me. You said you DON'T have the 4 core_*.xml files; this is not good (and the reason when you log in with the small parent xml file you don't get a 3D render and parts of the UI are busted).

My only advice here is to make sure you have the newest version of the updater, and that the "Only Check POI's" checkbox ISN'T checked.

If you have the tiny parent xml file, that's good, it's the newest version, if you still can't get the core_*.xml files, say so and I'll attach them while we try and figure out why the updater isn't grabbing them for you.

Quib
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Permafrost

Hi Quib,

Thanks again for your continued assistance. Things are working again ...
For your information, I'll tell you what happened:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
If you have the tiny parent xml file, that's good, it's the newest version, if you still can't get the core_*.xml files, say so and I'll attach them while we try and figure out why the updater isn't grabbing them for you.
Directly after my last post, I deleted all the files in the mymod directory tree and used the autoloader [version 0.97 Beta] - about 10 hours ago. The directory tree was duplicated with no changes. The core files were missing, though some of the regions/POIs were updated. Note that the new parent xml file was also downloaded. I did not have any options selected [i.e. the update POI only has *always* been left unchecked].

But ... three hours later (during the game downtime, 7 hours ago) the missing core_...xml files were downloaded. I didn't change anything on my PC, I only reran the updater.

So it is working now.

The bottom line is that the problem has solved itself. The puzzle remains why the updater is able to grab the various zone updates - but could not download the new core_...xml files for 2 days. Could there be some wierd network caching going on somewhere between my brain and your server? Is there some network setting that may be broken on my PC, web server or (more likely) something misconfigured on my ISPs network server cache software (presumably squid)? Or could it even be timezone related - I live in GMT+9:30 zone (Australia)? I'm obviously grabbing at straws here. These unexplained intermittent (but consistently persistent!) problems drive me slowly insane. If the problem recurs, I expect to have access to a different (much larger) ISP in a fortnight - if I can finally get my ISDN upgraded to ADSL, telecommunications carrier infrastructure permitting.

I freely offer my time for testing or debugging or anything else that may help you sort this sort of thing out.

Finally, thanks again for your ongoing help, and for such a well presented and useful tool.

Best Wishes, David
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:35 PM
A Griffon

When I uploaded the new, small, version of eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml, I uploaded the 4 core_*.xml files first, just in case someone was updating right as I was uploading, so what happened "shouldn't" have, though clearly it did.

I'm wondering also if it could be a cache or temporary internet files problem, where when you ran the updater it got an outdated list of the files and their checksums, and so then only downloaded the wrong files. At this point, I think this is the most likely bet and would explain why (myself included) every blue moon a file won't get updated by the updater properly; the patcher is grabbing the file list from a cache or a previously downloaded copy from temporary files and then doesn't have a new list of checksums which would cause files to download.

What are your thoughts on this theory taco-man?

Quib
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:55 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

if its a cache it would have to be from the isp and not stored locally on the computer. it wouldnt suprise me; my high school caches all web pages through a proxy and it drives me completely crazy when i am trying to update web pages
Unread 04-07-2005, 08:40 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Great program guys, ive run into some recent troubles.

I'm having the same problems with not getting any POI's or maps in game.

i think your'e right about the ISP's cache causing probs, as ive previously had it working.

i suppose it will be fixed when those 4 files size changes.

Last edited by Sgt_Pitt : 04-07-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Unread 04-07-2005, 12:11 PM
A Griffon

Sgt Pitt, if EQ2 is still loading for you, but you're not seeing POIs or maps, it's more likely that there's something wrong with your custom UI folder or eq2.ini.

The updater problems affect a very tiny amount of people and typically just mean they don't get the absolute newest files for a day or two.

Post the contents of your eq2.ini file for starters and we'll go from there.

Quib
Unread 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Befallen

I just downloaded the updater but when i try uploading i get what is shown below.can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong or what the problem is?

Error Getting File List:
The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
Unread 04-08-2005, 02:37 AM
A Forest Scavenger

the 2 lines in my eq2.ini file are as follows

cl_ui_skinname EQ2MAP
cl_ui_subdir UI/

thanks guys
Unread 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM
A Coastal Crab

Exclamation Error Getting File List...

Error Getting File List:
The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.

re-Installed .netframework...then re-installed Updater...Firewalls off... InternetExplorer removed....not using a proxy server to connect(its direct) using Mozilla Firefox(what else is there?)...

i have read this forum over much to no avail... should have expected this, especially after peepz tossing out IE! plz help if you can... if not make the updates downloadable so we can manually install them.

*EDIT* yes as in uninstalled it... IE is bad. anyway of curing this problem? if not i will continue to manually do it. : )

Last edited by Rumorz : 04-08-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Unread 04-08-2005, 12:32 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default Marked board problems

As of yesterday, I have this problem with my marked board:

When entering it, im getting a error "Missing item info" and cant sell or browse marked. Basically all functions of the board is fubar.

But, when I revert to the default UI, everything is fine.

Only thing I changed in my UI compared to the altered one, is that I installed eq2maps and the autoupdater.

The EQ2map program worked fine for me before the live 6 update.

Some help would be great, since only workaround my skills can muster atm. is to remove the eq2maps program, which is kinda sad.
Unread 04-08-2005, 04:22 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
As of yesterday, I have this problem with my marked board:

When entering it, im getting a error "Missing item info" and cant sell or browse marked. Basically all functions of the board is fubar.

But, when I revert to the default UI, everything is fine.

Only thing I changed in my UI compared to the altered one, is that I installed eq2maps and the autoupdater.

The EQ2map program worked fine for me before the live 6 update.

Some help would be great, since only workaround my skills can muster atm. is to remove the eq2maps program, which is kinda sad.
i highly doubt it is the eq2map mod, it is most likely a different mod, if you want to check to be sure change your eq2.ini to have a different folder than what you have and then re-run the updater. then the only mod you will have is eq2map. once you do that let me know.
Unread 04-08-2005, 04:24 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumorz
Error Getting File List:
The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.

re-Installed .netframework...then re-installed Updater...Firewalls off... InternetExplorer removed....not using a proxy server to connect(its direct) using Mozilla Firefox(what else is there?)...

i have read this forum over much to no avail... should have expected this, especially after peepz tossing out IE! plz help if you can... if not make the updates downloadable so we can manually install them.
you removed IE?
Unread 04-08-2005, 04:47 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man
i highly doubt it is the eq2map mod, it is most likely a different mod, if you want to check to be sure change your eq2.ini to have a different folder than what you have and then re-run the updater. then the only mod you will have is eq2map. once you do that let me know.
The EQ2map mod, is the only thing i have ever used which not came with the game.

As for my EQ.ini:

cl_ui_skinname Rotti
cl_ui_subdir UI/
r_aa_blit 1

I dont know what it should be if it isent the map mod. I just tried to delete my Rotti UI folder, and only have the AA string in my EQ.ini file, and the fault was gone. Installed the eq2map mod again, and problem was back.

Dont know why this problem suddently happends. Last night before i camped out, I dident have the problem, with eq2map installed. This morning after running the updater, which downloaded some .xml files, I couldent use my selling board anymore.
Unread 04-08-2005, 04:49 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

its possible that it is soe, i get those messages randomly, on the same item even. eq2map doesnt change any files related to the broker so i dont see how it could be causing it.
Unread 04-08-2005, 07:13 PM
A Grove Wisp

Exclamation

Hello, this is my first post here so I want to start off with something good to say - I absolutley ADORE EQ2MAP! (even more so when everything is functioning properly )

Now for my recent bug. Ever since the big patch I noticed that my EQ2map has been sparratic. I press 'M' to bring up a map and it brings up a map of the wrong area with waypoints of the area I'm currently in. The person who told me about this program is now also experiancing the same thing.

While I can fix it by scrolling to and then chosing the right map, I have to do this everytime I bring up the map.

I tried to see if this was a known bug but I couldn't find a 'known bug' sections (if there is one please link - and sorry that I didn't find it )

The other thing I noticed was that if I click a spot and make a waypoint the sparkling path dissapears when I turn off the map.

Thank you again for such a great addition!
Unread 04-08-2005, 07:22 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade2074
While I can fix it by scrolling to and then chosing the right map, I have to do this everytime I bring up the map.
I'm not sure what you mean, are you using a select map plugin?

As for the sparkly find trail disappearing, I'm working on that. ^_~

Quib
Unread 04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

the sparkly trail doesnt hide when you close the map using the m key as i recall. you can do that temporarily until there is a fix for it.
Unread 04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
A Grove Wisp

Oh I'm sorry I also use FetishNightfall 3.2 I installed your map program over the one they had in thier folder but it never occured to me that maybe it's something in his mod that's causing this error.

Just in case though here is a picture of what I'm seeing:

The part that I can scroll is at the bottom, you will see scroll areas that say fprt area, qey area, misc - although I can't do anything with "misc".

I thought all this was from your program, you think it's the FetishNightfall part that's messing us up? My friend IS also using fetishNightfall.
Unread 04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
A Grove Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man
the sparkly trail doesnt hide when you close the map using the m key as i recall. you can do that temporarily until there is a fix for it.
Oh thank you! I will do that.
Unread 04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
A Coastal Crab

Default need a little help

first off the app is great i have it running on my win2k machine no problem .. but on my Win XPHome machine i am getting
Application has generaded an Exception that could not be handled
prosess id =ox5ed (1540), Thered id = 0x178(376)

thanks for the time
Unread 04-08-2005, 10:09 PM
A Forest Scavenger

i fixed my problem, it was because i selected US, region, EQ2 installed the game files in a folder called something like US_Region within the EQ2 main directory, so i copied the contents of the US_Region folder back into the main Eq2 folder and Eq2Map is now working.

Thx guys, great mod, keep up the good work
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:06 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default no group members?

when im grouped and look at map should grp member show up? also cant find auto updater to install it. what am I doing wrong. plz help.
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:24 PM
A Griffon

Shade2074, get the newest version of FetishNightfall, that should solve your problem.

utef, it sounds like you downloaded the traditional ZIP file version of EQ2MAP which I had forgotten to update after they added groupmembers to the map. Redownload it and your problem should be fixed. You can get the auto-updater for EQ2MAP here: http://www.eq2interface.com/download...fo.php?id=3509

Quib
Closed Thread