View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodrelhai View Post
I know I'm coming into this really, really late - but why is the threat meter in a separate window at all, rather than a gauge/display in the target window?
It just comes down to not finding a good way to integrate it into the existing target/implied target window so that it works well with both con modes and isn't distracting for people that don't want to see it. In its own window, people can completely turn it off and its not in the way. Its sizable small enough that it can be placed somewhere and not take up much space.

Had I come up with a good design for the default that included integrating it in the target window, I would have done so. But I would have also wanted to integrate this into the implied target window which would have meant splitting the dynamic data into two values, one for your target and one for your implied target. I didn't want your target to be a group-mate and have the hate info on your target window when it really applied to the mob in your implied window.

If people wanted an option to turn off the tips while zoning, they would most certainly want an option to turn off threat info in the target/implied window. Any design I came up with just looked bad if you turned the threat info off, or didn't give the threat info enough real-estate by shoving the number in a corner.

Trying to design a window that looks good with multiple con modes and options that enable/disable parts of the window is not an easy task if you want it to look good in every situation.