Send a message via ICQ to Talyns

What started this project..
Goals of this project as stated by Dolby:
1. What all do we want the list to do
2. How the list is to be displayed
3. How we are going to store the list in xml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
1. I would see the list displaying all the POI's for the zone the person is in. Also if there are no POI's for that zone maybe dont have the list show at all. I want to be able to scroll through all the POI's in alpha order (server can do that) and when I hover my mouse over one of the POI titles in the list a tool-tip with the UID & description shows. If I click on the POI Text in the list either it will just display that POI or use the waypoint system to throw a flashing red X on the map.
2. I would like to see text links in a scrollable box
3. Is there any way to use the current POI xml with some modifications? If there is I'll remove all clusters from the XML.

Now I was talking with the devs at the summit and they all thought the side list would be a great idea. You wouldnt believe how many people from SOE use EQ2Map. Anyways I want to throw out another question, do you guys feel this is a good idea to help people find POI's faster? Any other ideas so we can get rid of the nasty clusters and make it easier for people to find the POI's they are looking for on the map in zones that have zillions of POI's?

I was thinking in the future the POI list could have a 2nd text link next to the POI link that would pop-open a window that would include entire quest info. for QST POI's or do a search on ogaming.com. (they are getting rid of current html window and adding a full functioning one soon.
This was/is going to be the next incarnation of EQ2Map.. It's more than just the list it's a complete rework of the xml system that allows the list to be integrated therefore it updates when EQ2Map updates (However there is no support for that yet).

1, 2 and 3 is basically what this XML represents..

Adding the html link for quests, mobs and named to make the browser window open is not too far off..

If we add Zonx's VAM (View any map plugin).. You'd have a one stop place to get information on Quests, Mobs, and Nameds with a couple clicks of the mouse without any searching (as long as the community provides links).

I for one am 100% certain that EQ2Map will continue to be a valuable tool for eq2 players even after the new mapping system is released.. The team would like to get the publics opinion on this project. Is this something we should continue to pursue? Is it a good replacement for the old cluster system? Could you guys deal with a slight pause when opening a map in a zone for the first time after switching zones?

Last edited by Talyns : 09-30-2007 at 05:58 AM.