View Single Post
Unread 03-03-2005, 02:36 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
This is something I'd discourage probably. I know I'm personally uneasy enough about using executable files I get off of websites, but that one might update itself without me knowing would bug me even more.

I trust taco-man, but I'd be more worried about someone else modifying the auto-updater and posting it somewhere else on the internet and doing mischievious things. We'll need to slap a bunch of "if you didn't get this from eq2interface.com" warning everywhere we link the auto-updater. If the auto-updater had the power to update itself, a malicious version that grabs a really nasty executable and runs it could be bad news.

Quib
I understand completely where Quib is coming from on this, a malicious version could wreak havok on our community. Not sure if this is possible or not but would it be possible for the Updater to check it's own MD5 Checksum, and verify that against a value on the Update Site. If the Checksums do not match, the updater does not run. Could this also work as follows, say there is a newer version of the Updater Available, the Auto Updater matches the Old Version stored on the Updater site, and a Message Box appears informing the user that they must download the new Offiical Release of the Updater.

[Guild Leader] Tiggler is my Main, Humudce is my Alt on Blackburrow.