View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Saryn chained me to a UI
Featured

Server: Permafrost

Apologies to all, I did NOT expect to be away this long at all!!

Unfortunately, things are very hectic for me, much more so than I expected after the new baby arrived late last year. (By the way, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, and that the new year is going well)

In a nutshell... my youngest daughter (not the new baby, that's my youngest son, hehe) has developed some potentially serious health problems, and my wife and I have been spending a fair amount of time on the road, going back and forth to various spe******ts, children's hospital's, etc. So far, things are going well, and as long as the test results keep coming back the way they have been, things should iron out in a month or two, and my blood pressure can come back down to normal levels. (Nothing worse than havin' to hold a 1 year child while they sedate her. )

To top that off.... I've also been involved in a complete revamp of my home network, which is also used for some business reasons. We went from a 10/100, all Windows XP environment to a 10/100/1000 setup, with a new Windows 2k3 server. Let me assure you... if you've never been involved in an Active Directory deployment from the ground up, it's an interesting experience. For those that have, or are considering it, I highly recommend "Mastering Windows 2003 Server" by Mark Minasi. After my first disastrous attempt (I have experience administering AD... one of the reasons I decided to set it up at home as well, lol) at "winging" it, I reformatted everything, and started over, using that book as a reference. Flawless setup the first time, without any confusing Microsoft errors.

Finally, we lost 2 people at work (one to a heart attack - survived thank god, but is on medical leave, most likely until he retires), so I've had to pull a ton of extra hours, until we get 2 new folks in and trained up. That looks to be complete within 5-8 weeks, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

That being said, I still intend on supporting this UI.... whether it'll be coding with the baby in one hand, or just on the weekends, I should still be able to get some things out. Obviously, the time between request and delivery is going to suffer a bit, and for that, I apologize.

Thanks all,
Wulfy