View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltaroth-SOE View Post
I may be alone in this, but I would prefer to see at least 2 windows - 1 for combat and 1 for chat both are central and should be viewed at the same time even by a newbie.
It sounds like a good idea, but in practice what I find is the sheer volume of information in the combat scroll makes it impossible to use in real time. What I normally have up during combat is a window showing group chat, local text and mob speech for things like cues for the mob's attacks. I've got a combat tab, but it's normally used only post-mortem. I've taken to using tabs to separate chat, eg. I've got a "Chat" tab with things like level chat on it, a "Game" tab with the text that's important when concentrating on current play, and a "Main" tab with the text I pay attention to when just running around or taking care of things. Eg. guild chat is on the Main tab but not the Game tab, level chat channels go only on the Chat tab. Plus of course the "Combat" tab with the full combat-related scroll and no non-combat-related stuff.

IMO allow the UI to support multiple chat windows, but start the new user off with a single window with just a couple of tabs. Also, it'd be helpful if somewhere there was a description of all the text selection checkboxes and the kinds of text they control. Some are obvious, but other times it's not clear what falls into which category.