View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest

Zonx, I think your basic principles are dead-on.

Unfortunately the features you're describing would take a LOT of code work and I don't know that I'd be able to tackle something that big in my spare time.

I'm certainly willing to give code support when needed but I think in general we should try to make the UI work with the current implementation and UIScripting capability. We can probably use Effectors to create sliding windows that move in and out on certain events, so I think that level of polish is achievable. But the ability to dock and undock windows would be pretty difficult at this point.

I worked on some ideas last night for common controls like buttons because I really wanted to get started on something.

I think our first step is to mock up some layouts for the main HUD windows that are up all the time. The graphic polish doesnt have to be there yet, we just need to get placement and size nailed down. Then we can have some artists mock up some textures that fit the layout.

If anyone has ideas for how you'd like to see the windows organized, feel free to whip up something quick and dirty and post it here. I'll try to work on a couple of ideas myself to at least get the ball rolling. Sometimes its easier to get participation when you have a starting point and people can at least say what they like or don't like.

To start, these are the windows I think we need to organize into the HUD.

1 Chat Window with tabs
2 or 3 Hotbars (I think thats about all we could fit into an integrated HUD. Additional hotbars would probably need to float. I really want to implement the drawer concept so that 3 hotbars would be enough for most people)
XP Bar
Casting Bar
Group Window
Player Info Window
Target Window
Implied Target Window
Mini Map
Compass
Clock
Quest Helper
Maintained Buffs
Spell Effects
Detrimental Effects
Threat Meter (Many people may want to turn off the threat meter, but I think it should be designed so that when its on, it looks like its part of the top or bottom HUD bar and not be a floating window.

Let me know what you think.