View Single Post
Unread 01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
2. The new UI should have a clean, fresh look with the XML reflecting a more organized structure lending itself to easier modding and customization. I'd like to see a more HUD-based approach with fixed elements rather than a floating window approach.

3. I think the target audience should reflect all play-styles with an emphasis more towards new and casual players. Advanced/hard-core players are more familiar with the inner-workings of the client and have a greater knowledge of client commands. They are more likely to switch to a third-party UI or use game commands as shortcuts regardless of how successful this new UI turns out. I think the greatest gains can be seen by making a UI that is friendlier and less daunting to new users yet provides enough accessibility to features for casual and even hard-core players that don't need that extra level of scripting and detail that third-party UI's often provide.
I'm glad you brought those two points up, firstly I was going to mention a window position mode but didn't know how far you wanted to go into this so I kind of stayed away from advanced stuff like that.

Secondly most of my suggestions would cater to new and old players with the option to toggle modes for more information. Or is this not something you would want to do?

Essentially if I was to redo the entire UI I would make it so most windows cant move saves bags etc. Then make a entire portion of the options devoted to advanced features hiding aspects of the UI such as check boxes to show or hide windows and advanced features(like the extended info on maintained window).