View Single Post
Unread 10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
Yeah, this is the real question. With the old quest window only showing you 1 quest at a time, the need to easily navigate other quests makes a lot of sense.

But with a new window that shows multiple quests and automatically displays any other quest that gets updated, you may not need this functionality. Allowing me to take it out would clean up a lot of stuff under the hood. So I'm just trying to find out if I really need to support both.

A lot of people tend to resist change, so I'm nervous about moving to a new design and having people want their old window back.
Yeah... my question was kind of a leading one, on purpose. The point being exactly yours: if we can track multiple quests at once we don't really need to swap back and forth.

I also don't see how it would play nice at all with a system that lets you track multiple quests. What would you tab back and forth between when you're the one specifying which quests show up? The easy answer to that in my mind is... nothing.

So I still say take it out. Folks may complain a bit in the beginning, but they'll adapt. And folks always complain anyway .

{Detour}
I've got a question for ya Rothgar.... Whenever someone gets invited to group (or to a lesser degree, raid) I notice a ~2-3s lag spike (could even call it a 'lockup'). My guess is this is to all the data for the new player being added. The question is: is the quest data part of what is bogging things down (since you can 'see' groupmembers current quests). The followup is, if that is a major part of that 'lag spike' could we get an option to disable that? I might look at someone else's quests once in a blue moon, so being able to only load that data when I want to instead of every time would be nice.

In general, it seems to me that more server-side options to prevent data from being sent (data we would choose not to have sent) would also be a boon for the server load, since it's sending less data.
{/Detour}

Last edited by lordebon : 10-12-2009 at 01:36 PM.