View Single Post
Unread 03-03-2005, 04:05 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Well, I've sorta blown the security thing out of proportion; as long as people get the updater from eq2interface from taco-man, it's safe. I'm more concerned about the updater being too powerful, and someone modifying it and releasing it elsewhere and it really ruining someone's day.

I have no idea how hard it'd be to make a web-based updater. I have half a year's formal experience with java and I absolutely hate it. Writing files to a particular folder probably sets off a lot of security alarms in most browsers doesn't it? Plus the user'd have to point the web-based updater to their custom UI folder each time they use it; which would be tedious if they have EQ2 in it's default install location.

The route we're taking now will be effective and easy (for the end user). One of the problems with a modular setup is if a user is missing an XML file, EQ2 won't load. Having the auto-updater will ensure they have every file necessary.

On another note, it's impressive VB has developed far enough to do stuff like this. Last time I worked with VB was VB 3, and man was it unwieldly and non-powerful. I don't even think VB 3 was Win95, I think it was still for making stuff that worked on Win 3.11.

Quib