View Single Post
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:40 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyns View Post
However, the main reason for this was to try and cut down on the amount of bandwith the updater used.. By having seperate xmls for the list and the icons would double that bandwith..
The POIFinder Updater didn't have seperate XMLs on the server. It read the icon XML files after they were downloaded and generated the POI-list XMLs locally. No additional bandwidth needed.

To me the map's usually the main focal point. The POI list is a convenient index to find POIs by name, but it's primarily a tool to get the POI highlighted on the main map. If opening the list inside the map window shrinks the map, that makes it harder to see the POI location relative to everything else until I close the list again. Once I know where the POI is on the map, I usually don't need to highlight it again using the list. And since I spend a lot more time with the map up navigating than with the list up finding POIs, I'm biased towards keeping the map operating the way I like (fixed position and right on the right edge of the screen leaving the center clear).

Now, if you can make the whole map slide to the left when opening a right-hand-side list, or if the list can be put on the left-hand side of the map and have the window expand so the map stays the same size as the list opens, either of those would be perfect. But I'd expect either would be non-trivial to arrange.

*sigh* It's the 21st century, where's the direct-neural-feed virtual reality? They promised us virtual reality...