View Single Post
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:28 AM
A Fallen Diplomat

Server: The Bazaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakuum View Post
But they should!
Currently the default UI is a big mess when it comes to HCI (Human Computer Interaction).

In the screenshot:
  • The white....... Much, much snippage.
  • The "enjoy" area is as free from UI stuff as possible

And yes, my UI setup is far from pretty, but it's very friendly to my eyes when it comes to how much time I need to find the important stuff. And it also let me enjoy the games as I see most of the game and not much UI in the "enjoyment" area
It ain't bad, yes. It doesn't answer my needs though; I have a monitor with the older style sizes. Moreover, one of my biggest criticisms of all these interface ideas is the common practice of covering the bottom of the window with stuff/clutter so that the nearer one is to something, the harder it is to see/target. For some of these one can move things around but for others the UI dev has made assumptions that make moving things not so easy.

I've used 3 different UI's since starting play; Fetish, ProfitUI and RickF. Currently using RickF but it certainly isn't my idea of an ideal UI. I really hate his bags and am looking for a replacement. I've other things which I've replaced so that my UI is a hodge-podge of relatively unrelated items.

A REAL pet peeve is the broker window and the practice of putting buy and sell in different window tabs. When I have an item for sale I want to hit the broker key and have the Sell side of the window show me what the price is, currently. The only one I know of that has this feature is the Fetish broker. All the rest I've looked at are of the Buy/Sell... etc. tabbed style.

I guess I would say to devs of interfaces is stop a bit and think about how your product looks to others. What you think of as forward thinking and "greatest since sliced bread" is my poison and goes into the bit bucket. A viable UI for the masses is minimalist but with extra "stuff" that can be easily plugged in (and self-containment belongs right here in the equation) after one has experience enough to be able to make decisions about them.