View Single Post
Unread 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM
A Forest Scavenger
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
What the dev team is looking for is ideas on possibly combining windows, making some windows better, and the window graphic design. They aren't really looking for default window placement using the current default interface.
But they should!
Currently the default UI is a big mess when it comes to HCI (Human Computer Interaction).

In the screenshot:
  • The white rectangle is the "enjoy" area, this should be as free as possible from any ui stuff to give the user a good experience. (You don't play eq2 to look at the ui. The ui is there to help you play the game, and you want to view the game as much as possible)
  • The bottom part starts with the hotbars in the middle (This creates a vertical line from the center of the view down to your hotbars so you only have to move your eyes down\up to hit keys).
  • Over the hotbars are the targets with health\info, this makes it easy to watch your own health and others while finding the key you wanted to press.
  • All the way to the sides are less important stuff like track, "eq2 start menu", map and the buffs you got on you by effects and such.

What I want in a new default UI:
  • Hotbars are center aligned
  • The compass\clock looks good between target and implied target on top
  • A smaller track window (the default is way to wide)
  • That everything has a place (look at my agro meter or melee auto attack, it has no alignment and looks "out of place")
  • The "enjoy" area is as free from UI stuff as possible

And yes, my UI setup is far from pretty, but it's very friendly to my eyes when it comes to how much time I need to find the important stuff. And it also let me enjoy the games as I see most of the game and not much UI in the "enjoyment" area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eq2.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	7087