View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unrest
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
This is a Java problem, not a UI or updater problem. Usually it happens when a Java auto-update's messed up the local Java application cache. What I do to fix it:
  1. Delete my desktop icon for the updater, and unpin it from the taskbar and start menu if it's pinned (or delete the shortcuts, depending on OS version).
  2. Go to http://updater.pala.de/ using Firefox or IE and launch the application from there. If it prompts, allow it to run the JNLP file (don't save it). I've found Chrome to be unreliable when it comes to Java.
  3. Once the updater launches, go to Settings | Updater | Reset Shortcuts. Use that to recreate the program menu and desktop icons.
  4. Re-pin the icons or drag to create shortcuts, depending on OS version.

The shortcuts point to hash entries in the Java application cache, and aren't necessarily fixed. I don't try to reuse or fix the old icons, I just let the updater recreate them if they're broken. I also minimize the number of problems by manually updating Java at need. That's especially important if you've got both 32- and 64-bit versions installed on a 64-bit system, the automatic updates typically only get the 32-bit version which leaves things a bit weird. By manually updating I can make sure I get both and that the 64-bit version gets installed/updated last.
This also worked for me. Thanks for the information.