View Single Post
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
Yeah, this is the real question. With the old quest window only showing you 1 quest at a time, the need to easily navigate other quests makes a lot of sense.

But with a new window that shows multiple quests and automatically displays any other quest that gets updated, you may not need this functionality. Allowing me to take it out would clean up a lot of stuff under the hood. So I'm just trying to find out if I really need to support both.
If you make it like Aion's where any quest updates get flashed in the helper window and you are able to pin it, then there isn't any need for that code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
{Detour}
I've got a question for ya Rothgar.... Whenever someone gets invited to group (or to a lesser degree, raid) I notice a ~2-3s lag spike (could even call it a 'lockup'). My guess is this is to all the data for the new player being added. The question is: is the quest data part of what is bogging things down (since you can 'see' groupmembers current quests). The followup is, if that is a major part of that 'lag spike' could we get an option to disable that? I might look at someone else's quests once in a blue moon, so being able to only load that data when I want to instead of every time would be nice.

In general, it seems to me that more server-side options to prevent data from being sent (data we would choose not to have sent) would also be a boon for the server load, since it's sending less data.
{/Detour}
I've never noticed this spike, Does it do it on default also or is the UI script executing causing it?