View Single Post
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
I had some ideas for our map system that I'd love to get some feedback on.

First, I'd love to create a new POI that contains multiple points. Maybe we could call it an ROI (Region of Interest). Basically it would draw on the map as shape. We'd probably code it to round off the edges so it would look nicer than a hard-edged polygon. This could be used for discovery areas or defining a region where a certain mob spawns when there isn't a specific coordinate.

I would also like to add a new property to the POI where you can specify a quest name that is associated with the POI. This would allow us to put the map in a mode where only POI's were displayed if they were linked to a quest in your active journal.

Let me know what you think.
For your first thing -- I would LOVE that! That's something I've wanted to see on maps for years, but provided that by *default* it can be turned off, and then individual ones turned on/off with say a checkbox in a side window that expands out. It would be best of all if the game remembered which ones you had checked and saved it between sessions. But I love the idea, and it would be even better if we could associate multiple polygons to be shown/hidden simultaneously. That way for normal mobs (or another idea I've had -- harvests in separated zones) you could see all of the locations for a mob type at the same time. Even without rounded edges it would be great.

The second thing also sounds great. Especially since you said it would be a separate mode. It'd also be great if the normal mode could be set to *not* show POIs that are linked to quests that you do not currently have, again via a checkbox or context menu.

I have a few other suggestions:

The ability to zoom in on a map even further than we currently can. I know that the maps look rather pixelated at high zoom, but even at the current maximum zoom it's still hard to separate tightly-packed POIs in very large zones (/cough Moors).

Not sure how easy this one would be (Because of what I know of zonerects, seems like it might be tricky): For zones with *no* map, instead of having just the basic world map shown, it would show a large, totally blank map.

Or, if that is not possible another idea would be a "group compass" that would be a N-S-E-W compass centered on the player that would show all the others in relation to them. The angular coordinate would respond to the relative angle (NSEW) that the groupmember is from the user, and the distance from the center could correspond to direct distance (the further a player was away in the zone, the further from the center). Even just a pure NSEW relation would be great, without the distance coordinate.