View Single Post
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:22 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
Yay for the xml settings, I admit I didn't believe I'd yet see them. Saves me from abusing the Add/Delete POI functionality for this.

I think it would be a bad idea to write just any value, we use a lot of temporary variables that should not be stored. A CustomData object would be fine I think. Or alternatively if you want you could just store any variable that ends with "Store" or something like that.

But if at all possible could you please store non-custom properties that have been changed by script as well? E.g. if I show, move or resize a window via script it would be great if that could be stored. For bonus points also the window settings modes None/Frame/Frame & Titlebar according to the visible status of the respective window elements (since we can't toggle it directly).
Keep in mind that the UI settings file doesn't really correspond to the physical layout of the UI window. So I don't want to use a solution that requires I parse the entire UI structure looking for variables that need to be saved. This is why I think something like a custom data container would work well. In code I just need to check for the existence of this container and save the values.

Also I'm not sure that trying to save every modified value in script would work, or even give the behavior that many people would want. I think there are plenty of times you don't want things to persist. Also, this would require reproducing the structure of the UI page in XML so we would know how to apply the value changes. Like in the case of the "Text" field being changed on multiple elements.

I think for this feature, its best to stick with a container and let you guys determine what gets saved and what doesn't.