Thread: We're modular!
View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2005, 04:50 PM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

First, sorry if some of this comes out sounding aggressive. I do not intend it to be.

Quote:
Leave mapstyles and icon page includes in the main file, so when we add a map, just 1 file is edited.
I can merge overlay_main.xml, mappage.xml, and mapstyles.xml into MapList.xml so you'd still only need to update one file.

Quote:
Say Deathbane27 wants to mod the window to fit the style of the rest of his Mook UI. he'd have window_pathfinder.xml, window_titlebar.xml, window_frame.xml, and window_backdrop.xml.
Uh... no, I would definately NOT include window_pathfinder or window_titlebar. Those are part of the added functionality and are therefore subject to updates. I'd be editing their content's appearance with scripts.

(window_frame.xml and window_backdrop.xml should have been merged anyway.)

Quote:
It'd be a little tedious to set up, but if someone who downloads his mod doesn't have the EQ2MAP main window, EQ2 wouldn't fail to load. If all he included was eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml and the user didn't have EQ2MAP, the includes asking for files they didn't have would screw up EQ2.
Either way, already having EQ2MAP installed will be a requirement for the mod to work, so I consider the point to be moot.

Here's what updating would look like:

Your version:
To update EQ2MAP, the user must copy eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml, and the eq2map folder MINUS window_options.xml, window_backdrop.xml, and window_frame.xml. If they forget to not copy those files, they have to re-download my mod to it.

To update the MookUI map, the user has to copy window_options.xml, window_backdrop.xml, and window_frame.xml to the eq2map folder.

My version:
To update EQ2MAP the user just copies the eq2map folder in its entirety.

To update MookUI map, the user just copies eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml.

Quote:
Users could have multiple mods installed this way (as many as 3 or 4, if mixing appearance and functionality mods).
I really cannot think of any way this could work. Any functionality change or button changes would be dependent on the visual change for positioning anyway.

In fact, if anyone does an Options button mod and a user tries to mix it with my Mook visual styles mod, there is a 100% chance (I'm not kidding, either) of this happening:

(Unless, of course, I deliberately move the options button off the screen and disable any script functions it may or may not have, which kind of defeats the purpose anyway, but it's the only thing I could do to make sure peole don't come whining to ME when someone else's mod breaks mine.)

So, how I see it...

Quote:
- multiple mods can be applied to the map window at same time
- less likely end user can't load EQ2 due to missing include files
- one file to be edited each time we create a new map
- I doubt any two would mesh nicely anyway, but sure, let's have the Options button moved to an include.
- the user has to have eq2map installed anyway, or sub-modders can include a (soon to be outdated) copy of the eq2map folder to only be installed if there's not one there already
- And attached is an update of my version where that's still the case, only now the one file is eq2map/maplist.xml

I believe this meets with the spirit of both of our design philosophies and makes it much easier for the script-impaired (and me, too) to make visual modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MultipleMods.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1179  
Attached Files
File Type: zip db27_proposed_rev_2.zip (7.4 KB, 500 views)

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 02-11-2005 at 05:28 PM.