Thread: We're modular!
View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2005, 12:11 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Ok, here's what I was shooting for:
- All icon pages (including overlays) moved into seperate XML files.
- Backdrop and Options Button moved into seperate XML files fo other authors can make mods (will explain why this way rather than the main XML in a sec).
- Leave mapstyles and icon page includes in the main file, so when we add a map, just 1 file is edited. No structure change, so mods made and applied through the backdrop and options button XMLs won't be hurt.

Here's what I envisioned for mods to the window. Say Deathbane27 wants to mod the window to fit the style of the rest of his Mook UI. In his all inclusive download (uhm, assuming you have one, I don't recall at the moment) he'd have window_pathfinder.xml, window_titlebar.xml, window_frame.xml, and window_backdrop.xml. The first three would change the style of the window border (and change the minimize button settings), the backdrop xml might be changed for style purposes, but he'd also include all the location changes and resizing for the window here in the OnShow property. It'd be a little tedious to set up, but if someone who downloads his mod doesn't have the EQ2MAP main window, EQ2 wouldn't fail to load. If all he included was eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml and the user didn't have EQ2MAP, the includes asking for files they didn't have would screw up EQ2.

The options button was more meant for changes such as allowing the window to close on escape (Visible="false" OnShow="Parent.allowcloseontop=true").

Users could have multiple mods installed this way (as many as 3 or 4, if mixing appearance and functionality mods).

The HelpButton was working as intended, not sure why it was screwing up in UIBuilder. If you had Eloa's quest window XML (there was only a pre-alpha version so far) the question mark button would expand and contract the window to show the quest info; if you had the placeholder (packaged in the official downloads and rev_5_1), the normal question mark Help button would show.

All that junk in OnShow2 in the main Map page object are safety checks for various possible mods. Those values should be set as so at default, and I gave the frame XML the ability to alter some values before those numbers are called. It mostly involves hiding the fog so we can get in-game screenshots of fully revealed zone maps; but similar code might be used by some inventive modder to do something I hadn't thought of.

While I definately understand what you envisioned, I feel my system for mods would prevent problems with the end user not being able to load EQ2. What I left in mainhud_map I left there on purpose, as each major release I wanted one file to be editing to add a map.

Hm, bulleted list of why I prefer my way:
- multiple mods can be applied to the map window at same time
- less likely end user can't load EQ2 due to missing include files
- one file to be edited each time we create a new map

I dunno, it's still up for discussion, I will entertain counter-arguments. I was ecstatic when I got the map xml small enough to open in notepad (instead of wordpad).

Quib