View Single Post
Unread 06-28-2008, 07:08 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
I admit I was surprised that someone would release the mod you did (I'm referring to the auto-cure and auto-potion mods). It's not that we did not know how to mod this, it's just that we consciously stayed away from doing any full automation mods. Even though many of the available mods here offer quite a lot of automation, all of the gameplay relevant things are usually nothing that you could not achieve via macros, and the user usually has to take an action like clicking a button. Just because I know how to fully automate combat does not mean that I will ever create let alone release a mod like that.
<...>
I guess I have no choice but to take this as 'I went too far'.

As far as I could see, I was the first to release a raid mod with healing buttons on them... then I even added priest detection scripting. I was proud at the thanks I got for my first real foray into UI modding. I didn't really know why no one else had released such a thing, so I thought I was being "clever".

As I mentioned before, I am a newcomer to UI modding so I had never really read much of the forums or looked at many of the pieces. (I use mostly default myself with some custom things) I thought with my more heavily scripted mods, I was again doing something "clever" that no one thought to do. I didn't think that there was some sort of secret understanding of modders to never attempt something like this. (Don't give me that face, you know what I mean.) I feel sort of stupid for having passed that line where there was an understanding somewhere to not pass.

I don't really know what to do anymore. I could care less what random users think as I've been dealing with people thinking ACT makes the game too easy for years. But I guess crossing the lines that modders think are safe kinda is different.

I suppose I can add the dead-mans-switch logic I already planned out and delete the old archived version. But it's making me wonder about releasing any other mods though. Even if I add abuse protection, someone with a tiny bit of knowledge could probably remove it.