View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:37 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere
Default Isn't /loadUI compiled and executed by the client code?

I would like to hear UI developers ideas on this.
As I'm sure many users of the EQ2 Forums already know.
There are many, many players having problems with what may or may not be a memory leak.

The bottom line is that eventually these people's clients crash.

There is virtual smorgasbord of platforms that have this problem, not to mention zones, servers, times etc...

It's all quiet confusing and appears to be quiet a problem to solve for the developers reproduce, let alone fix.

I myself have noticed that my physical RAM begins to get consumed by the system at
a rate of about 10MB per minute on Balanced Video settings when sitting at the Character Select screen, and this trend continues until all physical RAM is used up.

Eventually it runs out, and the system becomes unstable and crashes to desktop.

The reason I bring this question here!
Is for your opinions.

There is a know issue with the in game command /loadui crashing peoples clients.

There is also an issue with the CustomUI tool that is included with
the game crashing with a 'memory leak' error message.

Isn't it possible/likely that the client code is executing this command when you start the game and every time you zone?

The module, or function, or call or whatever it is that is executed automatically by the game code, can not be THAT different then the same code that is executed when the player types in the command /loadUI.

Why would the software loading a UI act differently then a user typing the command /loadUI?

If there are any programmers or UI Developers that are familiar with the various threads on the EverQuest 2 'memory leak.'

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

If your opinion is that this is where the problem rest, is there anything I can do as an End User to fix this on my machine?