View Single Post
Unread 06-02-2005, 04:18 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Lucan DLere

So far I have had no run time issues with the auto-updater. I have, however, am having in-game strangeness and I will try to describe what is happening and what I have done to recreate it.

Using a custom UI of mix and match interface pieces the auto-updater ran perfectly and the mapping system worked equally well in-game, however to be fair I installed the beta directly on top of the 0.97 auto-updater.

Not related to the install of the new beta I decided to completely redo my UI. I renamed my original custom UI to a backup name and copied the entire /default directory to /snivers, my new custom UI playground. I deleted all my server_*_eq2_uisettings.ini files to start with a completely clean slate.

After I wiping the slate clean, I ran the beta auto-updater (installed over the 0.97) to get map ready. The updater again worked well having no problem finding the new UI folder named snivers and installing the *.xml and *.dds files. It auto-launched EQ2 and I waited for my new frog to show up on screen. Pop came the frog and the came the “[Everquest] as encountered problems and must close.” dialog box. OK. I tried again and the same thing occurred.

I deleted my server_*_eq2_uisettings.ini file, deleted the snivers UI directory, removed the eq2.ini file and used the UI directly from the default, simulating a clean install. Not using anything from EQ2Map, I loaded up my frog and was able to play without a hitch.

Next I copied the /default folder back to a new /snivers UI, made a new eq2.ini indicating the /snivers directory and loaded up the game. Again I was able to play without incident.

Normal - areas of concern left saturated for comparison

I logged out.

I ran the beta auto-updater once again over the “clean install” and loaded up the game. This is what the UI looked like: Notice the saturated areas. Relocation of pieces occured without my interference.

I recopied the default directory as before, left the *_uisettings.ini and ignored the EQ2Map Beta. In-game screen came up as normal. I tried EQ2Map beta again and the same UI anomalies appeared.

I decided to try this all again but this time with the ‘original’ clean install of 0.97. Redoing all my UI directories, eq2.ini and *_uisettings.ini files, I installed 0.97 and ran the update. The game loaded and the /snivers (copied /default) UI appeared as expected, with no faults.

Leaving the eq2.ini and *_uisettings.ini files and recopying the /default directory, uninstalling the 0.97 EQ2Map, deleting its residual directory, installing the latest beta EQ2Map, and allowing it to freshly update the map files, I then loaded up the game and the UI appeared as the second screenshot with the same indicated faults.

I’m not sure if it’s something on my end, but as I said this only happens on a clean copied /default directory. I wish I can be of more help with what is happening.