Thread: UI Installer
View Single Post
Unread 03-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Steward of the Faithful
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle

As part of integrating EQI files fully with UIInstaller I had to make it smarter. A lot smarter. Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as it is now, so I'm not 100% sure it works right anymore. It has in all the tests I've conducted, but I need some help from y'all to make sure it isn't doing anything wacky in any special instances.

So, on to what's changed and what to look for.

Updates:
* Added root folder detection for EQI archives (more on this in a minute)
* Added archive File List (Lists all files in the detected root folder and its subfolders; displays corrected folder information)
* Changed UI Information to a tabbed page to alternate between UI Information and archive File List
* Corrected UI Information display for archives where eq2ui_skininfo.xml wasn't in the top-level folder in the archive

Root Folder Detection:
So what the heck is root folder detection? Well, it's that bit of UIInstaller that's smarter than I am, and it's why I need help testing.

UIInstaller will now tarverse the entire archive structure and compare its contents to the contents of your UI\Default directory. If it finds a known filename it will track backwards through the folders until it figures out where the "real" root of an archive is.

What that means, in short, is that you can now put as many "unnecessary" parent folders in your archives as you want. UIInstaller should automatically detect where the actual UI is and install it correctly. Don't worry, files that are in "unnecessary" folders will get extracted to the install location, you won't lose anything. (I may change that to install them to a special "Parent" folder or somesuch)

Additionally, UIInstaller will no longer create empty folders. If there are no files in a folder or any of its children, that folder won't be created.

What Can You Do:
Try UIInstaller using strangely ZIPed archives. Try random archives downloaded from this site. Make sure that the File List reflects the actual UI files (it won't display anything above the detected UI root folder.) If you run into any cases where UIInstaller reports that it can't find any root folders, or that it found too many root folders, please post the details here.

Notes:
* UIs still need to retain their folder structure; UIInstaller isn't smart enough to move files out of their current archived folders, just smart enough to ignore extraneous parent folders (that means you must include the images folder for image-only UIs and you can't put images in the same archived folder as the XMLs and expect UIInstaller to put them in the correct directory.)
* UIInstaller updates its UI\Default file list when you exit; the first time you run the program it will use a hard-coded list of only the XML files in UI\Default (the auto-generated list includes every file in UI\Default and its subfolders.)
* UIInstaller locates the UI\Default folder based on where you installed your last UI to, so don't change the install location to something wacky right before you exit the program. (I have a couple ideas on how to correct that small issue, I'll try to get that fixed shortly)
* I really need to stop hunching forward to peer at Visual Studio for hours on end, my shoulders are killing me.

Edit: New version attached below.

Last edited by ger : 03-21-2005 at 04:32 AM.