Thread: UI Installer
View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2005, 02:29 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere

Is there a way that UI Authors can use your program to make an auto-instaling package?

Sortof like a self-extracting zip folder.

This would allow the downloaders to hit the download button and select 'open' instead of save, to install the package?
The authors could upload after we have created the selfextracing file using your mod.

Personaly, I'm feeling things are getting a little complicated for end users.
With the map mod program updater, this program, the UI switcher program, the customprests program, the character UI.INI switcher, copier.

It's all getting quiet complicated for end users.
I know the UI Switcher and installer you want to make into one program eventually, but perhaps it would be better to just use it as a tool for authors, and totally remove the end users from the equation. Then they could use the UI switcher if they wanted to.
The Character INI switcher/copier could be combined with the UI switcher, so that it switches the UIs and the Character INI settings at the same time.

OR, they could just fix /loadUI, but I dont' think that is every goign to work in a way that it could replace the character.ini settings. because that information is simply not stored in the mods.
But perhaps it will save a different copy of the character.ini file in each folder..

Wait a minute. Has anyone tried that?
Does the game look in the custom folder for the character.ini also? or will it only look in root? Wow, now that would be grand. you could jsut have a character.ini file in each mod folder, and it would read it when it's switched.
like it does the other XML documents.

EDIT: In case I sounded like I was smoking crack. I would like to see only one file when I download a mod, and double click on that file and it run like a regular installer. If we want to get more sophisticated, how about making it register with windows also, so that if the user doens't like it. It can be removed with add/remove programs.

Last edited by Kosmos : 03-16-2005 at 02:42 PM.