Thread: New Updater
View Single Post
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:47 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denavin View Post
I am getting tired of the Peice of Sh.t not working. AGAIN I have to move the F...ing install location FIX THIS SH.T!!!

This time it was Iobit Advanded System Care that broke this crap updater. I figured if CCleaner was causing a problem I would use a different system cleaner. Well guess what the same sh.t happend again, and it is not the files kept in the temp folder they are still there but the F...ing update still will not work. I suspect that the Regestry cleaner is deleting a key, not sure. Would be nice if you would find out what the issue is already.

You need to either go back to the old system ( that worked ) or come up with a better way of doing the update, preferabley one that works!

We can't find out what the issue is, because the issue doesn't appear to be in the Profit updater. The issue appears to be either in your AV software being overly aggressive and deleting parts of the updater that aren't a virus or malware, or you have a "download accelerator" or "download assistant" or some other bit of software that you installed (even unintentionally) that's inserting bits of itself into the updater download triggering your AV software, or you have active malware that isn't being detected that's infecting the updater and triggering your AV software. We'd have to have an exact copy of your system to diagnose the problem, and we don't. The standard starting point is to get the "rescue disk" from a major AV vendor (eg. Kaspersky's Rescue Disk 10, http://support.kaspersky.com/us/4162), burn it to a disc or USB drive and boot from that and do a scan (this insures malware already in your system won't be active to interfere with the scan). If the scan comes up clean but your usual AV software still triggers on the Profit updater, add the Profit updater to your AV software's ignore list since it's a false positive.

For us, the updater's working just fine. I'm running current Kaspersky AV 2014 with everything turned on and not having any problems with the updater. Going back to the old web-deployment-based updater isn't a viable option, Oracle has flipped the flag that makes the Java plugin not run those anymore so a standalone application is the only way Kaldran can go with it.