Thread: New Updater
View Single Post
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Everfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therendil View Post
I just did a Google search on ' 168rursf.exe' to see what might be known about it. I got *one* result - this thread. Whatever this thing is, nobody has mentioned it anywhere online that Google can see it. If it is a virus or malware, it's so new that no one else has seen it yet.

I also tried with Bing. There were no exact matches, but it did find a very close match: Skype_4.0.0.168_RUS.exe. According to Process Checker, "this executable is known as Skype Portable and it is developed by PortableAppZ.blogspot.com."

In any case, it is not part of ProfitUI.

I agree that you should not run more than one real-time AV tool or resident malware scanner at a time. However, I think it is good practice to run periodic scans with different tools as no one can catch everything.

-= Therendil =-
I also sent the program in question in for annalysis and it did come back as a non-leathal, but questionable applaction known as Downlodius (fs) which is a Java download assistant.

My antivirus will kick out anything that is an unauthorised downloaded application, ie somthing I did not install myself. It will even try to delete stuff like Punkbuster or Pando Media Booster. Which are harmless and many times needed by the game or application that downloads them.

I take it then that I am the only person that is having problems with Profit Updater not working.