EQ2Interface

EQ2Interface (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/index.php)
-   UI Developer Discussion (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   eq2ui_mainhud_welcome.xml (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14944)

TalTal 10-02-2010 11:42 AM

eq2ui_mainhud_welcome.xml

I have been working on test copy updating Profit for gu58 and noticed that my mod of the welcome screen is no longer working. Has anyone else experienced this? No changes to this file seem to be reflected in game.

Silat

Maozem 10-02-2010 03:55 PM

I haven't tried the fix yet but will this weekend or early this week as I am on test a lot. Would be happy to test out anything you need as well just shoot me a pm.

Maozem

TalTal 10-02-2010 07:26 PM

I have had a few posts on the soe forums confirming it now as well. Just thought I'd update the post.

Landiin 10-02-2010 11:28 PM

hmm do I since a little hard coding to defeat the hide window hack?

Drumstix42 10-03-2010 03:46 AM

I'd say yes, but my first guess would be: It was unintentional. How convenient ;)

Eshaac 10-03-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalTal (Post 93619)
I have been working on test copy updating Profit for gu58 and noticed that my mod of the welcome screen is no longer working. Has anyone else experienced this? No changes to this file seem to be reflected in game.

Silat

Yes, I noticed this a few days or so ago and have tried all kinds of things to get it to work with the Fetish ui piece I am using, but with no luck. Maybe it is related with the test/testcopy server crashing these past few days..

Eshaac

sompet 10-06-2010 04:12 PM

I just did a test on Test-Copy, I deleted all eq2ui_mainhud_welcome.xml files from both default UI folders and custom UI folders, deleted reference from eq2ui_mainhud.xml and the welcome screen is still displayed at login. I guess now it's hard coded, unable to skin and impossible to disable.

It seems we are only allowed to modify the UI as long as SC is not affected...

Darqwood 10-07-2010 07:08 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Or it could be an exploit, or potential exploit, that they're combatting by forcing the window from the server. Let's give SOE credit for not hating their customers. :p I'm amazed at the vitriol they've gotten for this on the official forums.

TalTal 10-07-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darqwood (Post 93679)
Or it could be an exploit, or potential exploit, that they're combatting by forcing the window from the server. Let's give SOE credit for not hating their customers. :p I'm amazed at the vitriol they've gotten for this on the official forums.

It is not an exploit. They want the window to open. They removed the option to hide it via the command they established and then they removed the ability to mod it to achieve the same goal. If it was an exploit removing the command would not have happened first.

Silat

Landiin 10-07-2010 10:22 AM

Yea SC will not effect EQ2Live, We don't have to see it if we chose not to. LOL Guess they scrapped that. The welcome screen it self don't bother its the fact that they are blocking it from being modded.

tknarr 10-07-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landiin (Post 93681)
Yea SC will not effect EQ2Live, We don't have to see it if we chose not to. LOL Guess they scrapped that. The welcome screen it self don't bother its the fact that they are blocking it from being modded.

Actually for me it's the other way around: I don't mind the welcome window, I don't even mind that it can't be modded (I'd rather it could be, but I can live with it unmodded), what annoys me is that it can't be stopped from displaying. I know about the marketplace items, I know about the news items, I know about everything that's on it already. I just want to get logged in and get to the raid without having to keep clicking to close windows that have nothing to do with logging in and getting to the raid. The more annoyances like this, the more likely I am to find a game like Rifts (when it comes out) more fun and less annoying than EQ2.

sompet 10-07-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalTal (Post 93680)
It is not an exploit. They want the window to open. They removed the option to hide it via the command they established and then they removed the ability to mod it to achieve the same goal. If it was an exploit removing the command would not have happened first.

Silat

Strictly speaking, it was an exploit: SOE intentionally removed the ability to disable the welcome screen, so what we did after GU57 was against the developers' intent.

The said thing is that SOE removed a feature which was asked by players at the introduction of welcome screen because the welcome screen was always almost useless. They knew many of us don't want this window and now it's forced. First they only simply removed the command but now they spent even more developer resources on this issue to build-in and hard-code this windows. SC itself is not game breaking for me, but this attitude is.

gm9 10-07-2010 06:53 PM

What I find strange seeing this discussion is that Rothgar did not come here and simply state that this window should not be modded and instead leaves you guys to waste time trying to find out what's going on.

On the other hand, since there's no official ban I suppose I can give you a hint how you can still auto-hide such a window. Remember the client keeps two copies of the UI in memory, the copy of the XML version and the working copy of all windows that have already been loaded. Now to disable (edit: or mod) the welcome screen simply modify the memory copy of the XML version via UI scripting when the interface loads. When the client then loads the welcome screen it will load the version you modified.

In case that wasn't clear enough take a look at ProfitUI's startup code, it already works with both UI copies so you should be able to figure it out from there. ;)

TalTal 10-07-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm9 (Post 93689)
What I find strange seeing this discussion is that Rothgar did not come here and simply state that this window should not be modded and instead leaves you guys to waste time trying to find out what's going on.

<SNIP>

He has not reponded to the thread on the official forums either.

Silat

sompet 10-08-2010 04:28 AM

Quote:

I guess he could only say that "they" have no choice, like at the SC button on XP bar. Which would be a weak excuse because "they" are SOE in my view.

Quote:

On the other hand, since there's no official ban I suppose I can give you a hint how you can still auto-hide such a window. Remember the client keeps two copies of the UI in memory, the copy of the XML version and the working copy of all windows that have already been loaded. Now to disable (edit: or mod) the welcome screen simply modify the memory copy of the XML version via UI scripting when the interface loads. When the client then loads the welcome screen it will load the version you modified.

In case that wasn't clear enough take a look at ProfitUI's startup code, it already works with both UI copies so you should be able to figure it out from there. ;)

Personally I don't want to fight with SOE, I'll rather stop giving them $30 per month.

TalTal 10-08-2010 09:12 AM

I can skin it now. I can hide it now. Thanks for the tip gm9.

Quick Question:
How do I encapsulate line breaks/new line (&#xD;&#xA;) so that it will be in the code it is placed in and not on the current line. I have tried several different ways I thought would work but they don't.

ie.
OnPress="MainHUD.Welcome.OnShow=&apos;visible=hide&#xD;&#xA;hide=true&apos;"

I am guessing that it is rendering the new line here instead of at the onshow event.

Silat

sompet 10-08-2010 09:33 AM

I'm curious how important it is for SOE. When will they "fix" it again?

Landiin 10-08-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Way to go, tell them how to defeat my work-around! You bastage! lol

Landiin 10-08-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalTal (Post 93696)
I can skin it now. I can hide it now. Thanks for the tip gm9.

Quick Question:
How do I encapsulate line breaks/new line (&#xD;&#xA;) so that it will be in the code it is placed in and not on the current line. I have tried several different ways I thought would work but they don't.

ie.
OnPress="MainHUD.Welcome.OnShow=&apos;visible=hide&#xD;&#xA;hide=true&apos;"

I am guessing that it is rendering the new line here instead of at the onshow event.

Silat

You can't, You have to build the script the way EQ2 executes it, top to bottom right to left. So if you put OnPress="MainHud.Welcome.OnShow='hide=True Visible=Hide'" would be the same as the way your doing it with the line beak.

TalTal 10-08-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landiin (Post 93699)
You can't, You have to build the script the way EQ2 executes it, top to bottom right to left. So if you put OnPress="MainHud.Welcome.OnShow='hide=True Visible=Hide'" would be the same as the way your doing it with the line beak.

I should read the documentation more ;)
I have been learning what I am doing by traversing the code in Profit lol.

At any rate that restores everything. Thanks for the help guys.

Silat

gm9 10-08-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landiin (Post 93698)
Way to go, tell them how to defeat my work-around! You bastage! lol

lol, yeah, I was fairly certain the experienced modders would be using it already and keeping it quiet, haha. But I have at least 2 more ideas how to get around whatever they might do so I figured I'd join in here and see what develops. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landiin (Post 93699)

One unncessary step in that. Do:
MainHUD.Welcome.OnShow='Visible=false OnShow=&quot; &quot;'
You can also use line breaks:
Script="CODE&#xD;&#xA;CODE&#xD;&#xA;CODE" OnPress="MainHUD.Welcome.OnShow=Script"

wolfeedarkfang 10-10-2010 06:16 PM

I guess I'm still kinda new to UI scripting EQ2 stuff, as i don't know about this "saved memory" thing. I managed to make some nice little mods here and there but the saved memory thing is beyond me. You talking about the contents of the cache folder? o.o

gm9 10-10-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfeedarkfang (Post 93726)
I guess I'm still kinda new to UI scripting EQ2 stuff, as i don't know about this "saved memory" thing. I managed to make some nice little mods here and there but the saved memory thing is beyond me. You talking about the contents of the cache folder? o.o

No, this:

Code:

root ─┬─ MainHUD ─ Welcome  ← what you modify
      └─ _HUD ──── Welcome  ← what you see

Burdy 10-15-2010 09:27 AM

Hi
Would it be possible to upload this fix for the window? I have neither an idea how to implement it nor profit ui.

Siliconeclone 10-15-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burdy (Post 93970)
Hi
Would it be possible to upload this fix for the window? I have neither an idea how to implement it nor profit ui.

I sent you a link for a cleaned up version of this mod. Will work for semi-dfault/eq2maps UI.