EQ2Interface

EQ2Interface (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dev Shack (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Window for GU42 (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10177)

Zoltaroth-SOE 01-15-2008 11:48 AM

New Window for GU42

Popup/Petoptions

Based mostly on PetWindow. Should be on test soon.

gm9 01-15-2008 12:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up. :)

SOE-Rothgar 01-15-2008 01:42 PM

There is also a new Connection Statistics window, and IMO its much better than the pet options window. :)

gm9 01-15-2008 01:54 PM

You guys are late with your presents, xmas was last month. :D

lordebon 01-15-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar (Post 68595)
There is also a new Connection Statistics window, and IMO its much better than the pet options window. :)

Ohh, finally the network-o-meter!

Who needs a weighted companion cube when you've got EQ2 Devs =)

Zoltaroth-SOE 01-15-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar (Post 68595)

Ouch.... :P

Landiin 01-15-2008 04:40 PM

You two play nice now or Dolby will find a corner for you two. I've been ther e and its not fun! Can't wait to see what you two have came up with.

SOE-Rothgar 01-15-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordebon (Post 68599)
Ohh, finally the network-o-meter!

Who needs a weighted companion cube when you've got EQ2 Devs =)

I do!

gm9 01-15-2008 06:39 PM

Hahaha, Rothgar wins. Now stop playing and show us your l33t dev ui. ;)

Othesus 01-15-2008 11:55 PM

I don't see new UI files for the Test server yet. Maybe tomorrow's build?

I haven't had time to play at all for over a month but I'll have to check out these new windows.

Dolby 01-16-2008 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landiin (Post 68602)
You two play nice now or Dolby will find a corner for you two.

Show the UI or else! :p

SOE-Rothgar 01-16-2008 04:27 AM

Haha, good one!

I don't think the next GU has been rolled out to test yet.

As far as the UI I'm working on, there really isn't much to show at this point.

My main goal for working on a new UI is basically to design what I think would be a good "Default" UI by today's standards. It's not meant to fill the needs of power users or raiders, but to be a good UI for beginner's as well as people who have been playing for awhile.

I have my own beefs with the existing default UI and I'm always thinking of things I'd like to see changed. So I decided the best thing to do to appease my inner-modder was to just create a new UI the way I'd like to see it.

I've never really liked how 'floaty' our UI seemed. Everything is a floating box and I don't feel like new users get a real sense of organization with the default layout. Its sort of like we're saying, here are a bunch of windows, throw them wherever you have space.

So what I'd like to see is a UI with some built-in structure to it. Unfortunately most of the existing hardcore users like their UI a specific way and don't want it changed. So my UI isn't really for them. However, I feel like new players would benefit from a UI with more structure, and once they've played long enough to learn the ropes, then they would probably feel safe switching to one of the many great custom UI's out there.

I just haven't had much time to work on it lately, and I'm trying to convince one of our artists to help me with some of the visual work in their spare time. Maybe when I get the basics stubbed out I can post some pictures.

gm9 01-16-2008 04:48 AM

Sounds interesting, and I think you have a valid point about the floatiness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar (Post 68617)
Maybe when I get the basics stubbed out I can post some pictures.

I think you should. While in the end of course you will always go with the vision of the UI you have in mind, from my experience user suggestions are great for improving things you didn't think of (and probably didn't care about), but which users pick up on right away because of their different viewpoint. :)

lordebon 01-16-2008 10:17 AM

Yeah, see now I kind of like the floaty-ness of it in a way. More consolidated HUDs tend to be less flexible.

But I do agree that for those just starting out, the initial set up is (in my mind) kinda messy. I imagine for a player totally new to the game it could be somewhat overwhelming (especially since as you level up the game just tosses spells in the next available hotbar space... what I'd prefer to see is that it pops up the spell description and gives you the icon to place on your hotbar instead of just placing it).

So yeah, I think more of a HUD-type UI would be good for those starting out, especially since it might give them a sort of connection with RPGs or even RTSes and so give them a little background. IE if they see their hotbars by default in the bottom right corner they'll probably know their abilities go there.

gm9 01-22-2008 06:28 PM

Seems to have arrived on the test server now.