EQ2Interface

EQ2Interface (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/index.php)
-   EQ2MAP (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Closeup maps of KoS islands? (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7793)

sstair 02-06-2007 09:42 PM

Closeup maps of KoS islands?

2 Attachment(s)
I'm considering adding new "closeup" maps of the islands in the outdoor Kingdom of Sky zones (Tenebrous Tangle, Barren Sky, and Bonemire). I've included a JPG of an example (also included a DDS and the core_mapstyles.xml fragment in case you want to try it out).

Code:

<ImageStyle Name="exp02_rgn_realm_of_twilight_0" zonerect="-330, -409, 296, 320" availablepriority="0" heightmin="-30">
<ImageFrame Name="imageFrame" Source="images/maps/map_exp02_rgn_realm_of_twilight.dds" SourceRect="0,0,436,506"/>
</ImageStyle>

While the advantages are obvious, I can see some negatives, too.
  1. You won't be able to see the POIs on the other islands from a different island.
  2. Someone new might not even know that there are other islands.

So, what do you think of the idea?

dragowulf 02-06-2007 10:08 PM

there should be a toggle if possible...
and everytime u change islands, so does the map to that particular island...ya?

sstair 02-06-2007 10:24 PM

Yes, when you are on an island, you will see the closeup map for that island. While on a cloud between islands, you would see the current zone map.

dragowulf 02-06-2007 11:29 PM

sounds good to me...although I think you should have a toggle just incase u want to see where is what island and what not..if that's possible

blackroseanjel 02-07-2007 04:31 AM

aye that would help out alot... too hard to tell what is what on some of those islands... and gonna repeat it since no one else has *snicker* a toggle would be nice =)

gracjanski 02-07-2007 09:46 AM

no, because I want to have an overview of the whole zone. When I need a loc, I simply search a word on the page on the website and got a loc, I dont use the 12335634 POIs on my map ingame. And with this proposed way, I would need to spam many websites with searching a word.

Vanyari 02-07-2007 11:27 AM

Would personally love to see it done. Oh... and with a Toggle. ;-)

sstair 02-07-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracjanski
no, because I want to have an overview of the whole zone. When I need a loc, I simply search a word on the page on the website and got a loc, I dont use the 12335634 POIs on my map ingame. And with this proposed way, I would need to spam many websites with searching a word.

The base map would still exist, and would still have the same POI's it currently does, so you would still be able to use the map the way you currently do.

jessiegbel 02-23-2007 10:33 AM

Good Idea

I think close up of maps would be great idea more so where there are lots of pois together. I do agree thou that a toggle would be needed say Isle Zone and world map for example

moldragor 02-23-2007 11:07 AM

minor map suggestion

I like the idea, and yes "toggle" :)

Also, on the "enlarged" maps - a note on the map at the cloud stations where they will take you would be nice. If there are spires - where they will take you.

Moldy

sstair 02-23-2007 11:08 AM

I'm thinking that the best solution would be a more generic one, where we could have a tab at the top, just like "World Map", that showed a closeup map of the area you are in.

Zonx 02-23-2007 11:42 AM

I'm thinking it will be easier to implement the close ups under the default tab and stick the overview map under another tab. Might want to do the same for GF and a few other zones. Test for the current zone name to decide if the overview tab should be visible and which map to display in it.

Note: The website will probably need tweaking to deal with POIs that need to be shown on both the overview and detail maps. I don't think its currently setup to do this.

Atlong 02-24-2007 09:13 AM

sizeable maps would be very nice

Landiin 02-24-2007 10:30 AM

I'm thinking something along the lines of..

if your in a area where a smaller map is available turn a zoom icon. If the user wants to see a zoomed in (the smaller sub map) they can press the zoom icon and be zoomed in. In the sub map a zoom out icon would replace the zoom in icon. It would be like your tabs but a lot more stylish..

Please don't confuse the way I use the word zoom here. In this context the word zoom simply means to display a submap (a smaller map or a particular part of the current map). I am not meaning to actually zoom in on part of the map, as that another entire subject.

Modar 03-12-2007 11:49 PM

Great Ideal

I think this would really be the thing to do. It would be of GREAT HELP for these kinds of maps though out the game as far as that goes. Sometimes I can't find my way out of a closet!! :D

mikrog 03-13-2007 01:46 PM

Yes

I definitely like the idea of the smaller island maps, and the toggle idea, as well

vikingnerd 03-17-2007 05:09 PM

Map them ALL!

Sinbad 03-17-2007 05:45 PM

There have been many times when I have wished for closeup maps for other areas just so I could make sense out of the closely packed jumble of POIs. This sounds like a great idea to me. It would be fantastic if you could eventually do this for all the zones, but that would be a LOT of work. I'll be happy with what I can get and thanks for doing that. =^_^=

foxbad 03-17-2007 06:09 PM

Close up maps would be very handy as long as you can still see entire zone

Rrys 03-17-2007 08:32 PM

closeup maps

would be nice if a 'level' to the map hierachy could be added like the world tab. have a zone tab under it and then the closeup...

goldenrose8 03-17-2007 08:55 PM

Island Close Ups

I see that I missed the poll but I am all for it. some of the stuff in faydark could use it's own area too. :)

capcastaway 03-17-2007 11:02 PM

Add closeup maps for all the islands.

Add closeup maps for all the islands. :nana:

CharMagnus 03-17-2007 11:08 PM

My two cents

Just my two cents but.... how about maps of all the instances and zones first? Seems that would be much more useful then new maps of areas that already have maps..... Drives me nuts loading into a zone like say deathtoll and having a hell of a time finding the raid....

dvegh 03-17-2007 11:40 PM

Very fine idea

Looks really nice!

It would be cool if we could zoom in a couple times on all of the zone maps too.

/beg

Daavy
Befallen ~ 70 Bruiser

FloridaFringe 03-18-2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharMagnus
Just my two cents but.... how about maps of all the instances and zones first? Seems that would be much more useful then new maps of areas that already have maps..... Drives me nuts loading into a zone like say deathtoll and having a hell of a time finding the raid....

Keep in mind that that is something in the hands of the users and not necessarily the authors of the mod. They have given us the tools and the instructions on how to complete maps for missing areas and it's up to us to submit the appropriate information.